Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Don't tag me, there's a support forum!
In fairness for everyone; anyone bickering and goading others will be banned from this thread. It's not fair for a few people to disrupt it for everyone and stifle the discussion. If you've said your point once, there's no need to keep saying it again and rehashing it.

• Heart
Reactions: 48

BubbleDuck

VIP Member
I don’t get why some people are so adamant Huw Edwards is using his mental health issues or lied about having them to start covering his tracks . Is it not possible that he was telling the truth about his 20+ years of having depression while also being a closeted, creepy man with a taste for barely legal boys?

Reactions: 43

LadyMuck

VIP Member

continuation of the Huw Edwards threads 😊

I found this article from Men’s Health where he discusses his MH and refers to 2019 which is around the time he was asking for naked pics from a 17 year old coke addict.

Exactly what Lady C said in her video. He could have been making it known about his MH to cover any transgressions that would come out.

Reactions: 37

Squittel

VIP Member
I have spent the last 45 minutes or so compiling Huw Edwards reaction pictures. Unfortunately he only has about 4 expressions so it’s been quite hard.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Imagine HE downloading the dating App (once he had his MH crisis) and drooling over youngsters offering whatever he wanted for a price. Like a candy store. Who knows how he had satisfied his urges up until then?

Meanwhile a mum had become estranged from her 17 year old son who was also on the App and who needed funds for a coke addiction.

3 years of sexual content exchanges and 30 grand, the mum notices a photo of Huw in his undies on her cocaine addicted son’s phone.

I would go medieval as a mum! At some point her son must’ve told her it’s been going on 3 years and that Huw has paid good money for the personal content.

Huw contacting the guy and telling him to get his mum to back off is awful! The guy fears funding for his addiction will stop, no wonder he doesn’t want Huw to get in trouble.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 30

stardust21

VIP Member
Yeh I mean I don't wanna belittle anyone else's MH experiences, but I tend to agree. Suicide was never even a thought for him.

Edit-I might be looking at it from my own experience with depression though.
I am not aiming this at the specific post I’ve quoted. This was just the comment after reading so many that I decided to put my opinion on it across...

I have suffered from severe depression before to the point of suicide. No one knew. I was fully functioning. I could work. I was still “happy”. I suffered huge trauma as a teenage and if you asked my friends at school what I was like “depressed” is not the word they would have used, hyper maybe, smiley definitely… despite the fact I was being helped by a teacher for self harm.

People who have suffered trauma, especially childhood trauma (and HE has said his Dad could be very harsh on top of probably being told how disgusting he was for being gay), can become experts in this because you have to misdirect in order to survive.

When you hear of people who have committed suicide, it’s not unusual for people to be saying how they didn’t know what that person was going through, and to feel guilt over that.

The fact he was still doing his job etc, to me does not mean he wasn’t suffering from severe depression, and his previous statements really do sound like my experiences of having had depression.

Mental Health episodes reflect differently in different people.

Edit to add: Mental Health issues to not excuse indiscretions and I’m not claiming they do before anyone jumps at me. I’m just stating that his experiences with depression tally with mine, and that from my experiences with it I fully believe that he’s in hospital having tried to committee suicide.

Last edited:
  • Heart

LadyMuck

VIP Member
Tbh I'm not interested in what was going on his head, I'm more concerned about the young men he was texting and the young bbc staff, and how they are

• Heart

stardust21

VIP Member
I’m genuinely surprised this is coming as a shock (this isn’t meant in a bitchy/smug way, clarifying that as I know it’s really hard to get tone across especially in a forum like this).

But one of the reasons I’ve been so confused about the people saying he’s faking MH was because to me it seemed pretty clear he’d attempted suicide.

His wife’s statement, followed by the essential backtracking of the Sun, followed by their cowardly non-releasing of their front page all on the same day, along side the out pouring of “love” from fellow presenters and reporters all screamed to me of a suicide attempt. The Sun are frankly very lucky it wasn’t successful.

For his wife to release a statement on his behalf like that he must have been completely incapacitated, otherwise the statement would have come from him. She chose to reveal him not him, she said so.

The majority of people who commit suicide are unknown to mental health services. Many of them are not diagnosed with depression. The problem with mental health issues is that it is so incredibly easy to hide them and push through and carry on like nothings wrong.

I realise it might be hard to understand how someone can do that if that’s not your experience of mental health issues, but the sad fact is that for the majority of people that is their experience of mental health issues.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29

Squittel

VIP Member
A lot of the views on HE are down almost entirely to assumption. The assumption that he purposely picked someone vulnerable, the assumption that he knew the money was going towards supporting a drug habit, the assumption that DMs he sent had a sexual undertone, the assumption that he’s going to, at some point in the future, use his mental health as an excuse for his behaviour.

Let’s make a bunch of different assumptions for fun. Let’s assume that he only had contact with the young man after the age of 18 (and for the purposes of this the parents are lying, and young person is telling the truth), let’s assume that he met him via only fans where 1000s of men pay to see pictures of female teenagers every month, let’s assume that HE didn’t have a physical relationship with the teenager or even a particularly personal one - just a liking for that person which meant he spent all that money on him, if that were true how would he even know that the young man had drug issues? let’s also assume the messages we’ve seen are innocent. We can also, for the hell of it, assume his wife knew all along and they have an open relationship.

If all those assumptions are true (which I admit is unlikely) the man’s biggest crime is being a closeted gay or bisexual man. And that he likes people on the younger side.

Assumptions go both ways and it’s possible the truth is somewhere in the middle. Or the truth could be terrible and much worse than we could ever imagine. But that’s the point, it’s all assumptions at the moment and we basically know nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Miss Havisham

VIP Member
My own take on this - is that MH issues or not, his behaviour has been wildly inappropriate (both in his marriage and in his position at work).
Whilst periods of depression (or possibly elation, depending on his diagnosis), can have an impact on his behaviour to an extent - he has capacity for his own actions. If he was very unwell, and lost capacity at any point - there is no way he would have been able to hold down his job, and keep this under wraps for so long.

I was shocked when I heard of this, and quite sad - as I did not have him down as a predatory or bullying individual. I didn’t want to believe it - but I now see, that these are not the actions of a decent person.

I am sure that being found out, has had a massive impact on his mental health - but he has capacity to deal with the consequences. He is still in a privelaged position though. He can afford to lie low and be able to live a quiet life somewhere.
He will need to try and repair relationships with his family, as best he can - but that’s another consequence to his behaviour.

I don’t think he should return to presenting on the BBC. I assume he wouldn’t want to return to presenting at all - and he can afford to retire.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Eirawen

VIP Member
I can’t talk for the Welsh because I am not Welsh, but I believe a lot of Welsh people regarded him well before all this due to that fact that Wales is quite an impoverished part of the UK and having someone from Wales, with a Welsh accent (instead of your average RP) speaking for the UK in such a high up position was just a nice thing to have. He did at least one documentary on Wales, he spoke Welsh fluently and clearly felt very strongly about his country and he was well liked for that.
This is EXACTLY right our accent was suddenly respected and admired instead of being ridiculed and we are usually regarded as inferior so it was nice that one of us became the top guy . Thanks for your insight.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

LByrne74

VIP Member
It is quite unbelievable how there seems to be a campaign to get Huw back on TV. I know it probably originated from his crisis comms person but shame on the people who published this mysterious poll saying a sizeable amount of people wanted him back on TV. Maybe if a lot of time had passed, but now? Way too soon when we don't even know the full facts yet, how bad it really was or wasn't.

Reactions: 25

Dr.CM

Chatty Member
Not really a fair comparison he was being accused of killing all those people with zero evidence whereas HE is accused of being a naughty boy with some degree of evidence
---
Exactly this. I can make a good comparison instead of a rubbish one.

A senior Clinical Psychologist and Psychotherapist who had initially been head-hunted to set up the entire NHS Personality Disorders Treatment Service for two large central London boroughs, took his own life aged 59 years old. Google 'NHS trust criticised after psychologist arrested 2010' on the Independent Newspaper site.

He had been senior and founding member of staff of that service, aimed at treating exceptionally vulnerable women, often severely traumatised with a history of childhood abuse. Turned out he was having sex with the vulnerable female clients during their 1:1 sessions at the 'clinic' (actually a hospital building in the grounds of a large north London NHS mental health unit). He had moved one woman who was actively in the treatment programme into his home and bestowed expensive gifts and money. This 'relationship' only came to light when she tried to leave him and he panicked, wouldn't let her go, and bombarded her with hundreds of angry and controlling text messages. At which point she became so scared she reported and confessed to her psychiatric nurse.

He was immediately suspended from work and then quickly sacked and struck off the medical register. The NHS did their utmost to cover it up and keep it quiet - to this day there are people who work for that service who have no idea - but it reached the national press and some people know about it. At his dismissal hearing, he told the panel that the women were inappropriately sexually behaved due to their issues and it wasn't his fault. Imagine.

It was later found out that he had been doing this sexual activity and inappropriate behaviour with multiple women several of whom had already taken their own lives. Their case files were handed over to the police for full investigation and he was charged and bailed. Then it went quiet. I was tracking this invesigation and couldn't work out why it never went anywhere. Then I did an online search of deaths and it turned out he had been found dead after going missing, aka seems to have taken his own life.

ALL of those women were well over the age of 18. But they were vulnerable and he abuse his power, status, advantage, and psychological knowledge to abuse them. Some are dead. He didn't directly murder them no doubt but he sure as heck put nails in their coffins.

When faced with the consequences of his actions, I'm sure he did have a mental breakdown and he surely did take his own life.

At what point do we make it all about him and his welfare and how his family must feel and -not- about the crimes and immoral, unethical, and toxic behaviour? Ditto HE and ditto PS and all of their ilk IMO.

• Wow
  • Heart

InkHeart

Chatty Member
A gay man trapped in a heterosexual marriage is likely to be depressed , that much is obvious .
But he wasn't trapped. He could have left. His wife wasn't the aggressor in this situation, she didn't MAKE him marry her or pretend to be attracted to her. He lied to her. He could have left her, just like millions of people leave partners they aren't happy with. That marriage was a choice he made, and continued to make every day for decades.

• Heart

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
Im sorry but if he were ever to make a comeback and I saw him on the news I wouldn’t be able to not think of the image of him with his bare arse on display. I mean he does the cenotaph as well how doesn’t he? Would be very conflicted seeing the mental image of his bottom, trousers round his ankles during such a solum occasion.

• Haha
Reactions: 24

veevee04

VIP Member
Reading that article and basing my opinion on how he describes these episodes my view is that HE has never suffered from severe depression illness.
To be honest for me that sounds very mild like stress. I start to withdraw naturally anyway after work and have low stimulus time. His depression sounds mild in the interview. I've been on antidepressants since the age of 12 I've tried them all. It's a life long thing for me. I stop taking care of my personal hygiene and stay in bed. I won't get out, that's the sign I need antidepressants titration. I've had many episodes and will for life but I've managed not to pay crack addicts for sex and nude photos.

• Heart
Reactions: 24