How much do you spend on food shopping?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you can afford it and you’re not wasting anything don’t feel guilty....we could spend a lot more but I do try to reign it in a bit 😂
Awww bless you. We are bloody fortunate and we are aware of that too. It is a working class done well type of guilt I think! (We give a lot too charity too without being the dickheads who post it on Facebook!) Phew! I have justified my spending! 😉❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh my God. I am mortified- 2 adults and we spend £240 per week. We eat very fresh ingredients but I honestly don't know where it goes. We eat out a lot too - so it can be even more. I am glad this is anonymous as I am aware how ridiculous this is!
I find the healthier we eat the more our shop adds up. We eat a lot of fresh fish, and that adds to our weekly shop. If we could I would happily spend abit more on food, espically to be able to make better lunches everyday

Reactions: 2
As soon as the kids are back at school
Ha ha I’m always stunned when it goes over £100 without middle aisle extras 😂
I get a full trolley from aldi expecting it to be about 50 quid. Theres things on the bottom self and falling off the top of the trolley. Then the cashier says "£150 please, cash or card". I'm like 😬😬

• Haha
Reactions: 1
As soon as the kids are back at school

I get a full trolley from aldi expecting it to be about 50 quid. Theres things on the bottom self and falling off the top of the trolley. Then the cashier says "£150 please, cash or card". I'm like 😬😬
Is that because they have put some prices up?

You’re all making me feel much better 😂🙌🏼 We do still get a takeaway every week too so we’re probably at around £160 a week when you add that in. We’re the same though as a couple of posters, we’re very lucky that we can afford it and don’t have to watch what we spend. We do have a lot of nice things such as steak, salmon etc. I was just very interested as I saw on an Instagrammers thread she was slated for spending £120 a week for 2 adults and 2 toddlers, which I actually thought was really good compared to us 🤷🏻‍♀️ You are all right though about the tit aisle in Aldi, I deducted that and candles from my total 😂

• Haha
Normally I do a big shop then pop to maybe Aldi in the week for top ups, but since lockdown I just do one big shop a week. So at minute its about £70 a week depends on which supermarket I go to.

Oh my God. I am mortified- 2 adults and we spend £240 per week. We eat very fresh ingredients but I honestly don't know where it goes. We eat out a lot too - so it can be even more. I am glad this is anonymous as I am aware how ridiculous this is!
To be honest I could easily spend up to that some weeks if I really decided to treat us 😂 and if I added up all the takeaways/lunches etc before lockdown it wouldn’t actually be far off! It’s so easily done isn’t it, I did my shop last night and it was £140, I laid it all out on the table and honestly couldn’t see what I’d spent that much on 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ha ha I’m always stunned when it goes over £100 without middle aisle extras 😂
There was maybe £15 of booze . But I have found I am buying lots of snacky easy food for the teenagers to grab between meals so things like pepperami, the dairylea dunkers , and also with the weather so nice I have been buying lots of cans of pop and ice cream . It has been a huge treat for them been allowed a can of fizzy drink per day😂

It does seem expensive paying it in one go but I do think it's actually cheaper overall. Im not paying out £7.50 a day in dinner money for a start . Teenagers would usually have money on weekend to go to KFC nandos with mates, husband usually works away so paying to eat in his hotel everynight , I never take my own lunch to work and always bought lunch in town. Family meal out a week , weekend takeaway or 3 😂

£60 - £70. 1 adult and 1 child. I'm actually not sure how much I spent before lockdown, I used to pop into the shop on the way home every day rather than doing a big weekly shop.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a bit of a trend with some Instagrammers (usually the slimming account ones) showing their food haul every week and saying oh I can do a shop for my family of four for £50 and I look at it and think how with what you have on the table 😂 Then when they’re posting their meals later in the week all this random stuff like butcher meat and fresh fish/veg etc has appeared, but that never gets mentioned, neither does their stuff like washing powder etc that just magically appears

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Is that because they have put some prices up?
Yes, prices have definitely gone up. There are no special buys anymore and my online delivery shoes I've made £0 savings.

We use Tesco online and food was about £90, now my Tesco shop is £120 online. However I still need to do a top up shop at Aldi and that's around £60. This is for 2 adults and 2 children. Doesn't help with the lovely weather where we are buying more things for th BBQ. 😁

I do the shopping for my household (mum, teen brother and I) my dad does share some items but he does his own shopping. A full shop at Sainsbury’s comes to about £60-£80 and then we do an Asda shop mid-week which comes to about £30-60. So about £150 a week which mainly for 3 people I don’t think is bad! Includes a lot of fresh fruit and meat/fish

This thread has made me feel better! I’m currently spending roughly £50 a week on food, plus a £10 takeaway. I live on my own and would usually have lunch at work, have a cereal bar for breakfast and eat out 2-3 times a week so my grocery shop was usually just under £30, so I felt like it had jumped up massively!

Family of 3, 2 adults + an 18 m/o.
We use Sainsburys and spend £170-180 per week for all our food and household bits.
Pre-lockdown it was about 120-130.

Family of 2 adults and 2 cats, we spend around £60-£80 per week on food and maybe £20.00 on household and toiletries.We don't drink, smoke or eat meat. Its strange because often don't have the right things in to make an actual meal.

We usually spend around £140 every two weeks in Tesco. And then every few days I'll have to pop out to buy fresh meat, veg and fruit as well as the odd snack. We also get our meat from the butchers, think that can total £40 some weeks depending on what cuts and quantity etc.
We also buy in bulk from a wholesaler every few months so things like bottled water, Pepsi Max, tins of food, frozen foods like fish fingers and cod fish, biscuits etc - usually this isnt counted in the weekly shop.
Family of 6.

So looking through some of the other threads I’m worried my spending isn’t normal on food shopping every week 🙈

We’re obviously spending a lot more in lockdown as we’ve gone from both having breakfast and lunch in work and eating out on weekends, to eating 3 meals a day at home. But I’m spending between £100 and £130 a week for 2 adults - usually £70ish in Aldi and £30-60 in Tesco (before lockdown it was £70/£80 a week and a LOT more on eating out). It does usually involve wine and beer, and I do cook a lot of new recipes from scratch with nice ingredients but I think that might be a lot! I’d be really interested to know how much you all spend?! Xx
Before lockdown we budgeted $150 per week for 2 adults, which is £88. Sometimes it was much less, like $110, just depended on what we needed.

Now we are going every 2 weeks, it's a little over $300/£175, sometimes closer to $400/£235 if we go to Costco but we are getting bulk there.

We are a family of 5 - 2 adults, a teenager and 2 kids plus a cat. We spend around £90-£100 a week in asda and then about £10/£20 a week if we need more milk, bread, fruit or salad bits