Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

instasheep

Oh my God. I am mortified- 2 adults and we spend £240 per week. We eat very fresh ingredients but I honestly don't know where it goes. We eat out a lot too - so it can be even more. I am glad this is anonymous as I am aware how ridiculous this is!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13

Keiffers pipe

Before lock down or now ?

My ALDI shop this week was £170 . 😮 Didn't even know it was possible to spend that much in there. I didn't even buy any middle aisle shite

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I’ve noticed a bit of a trend with some Instagrammers (usually the slimming account ones) showing their food haul every week and saying oh I can do a shop for my family of four for £50 and I look at it and think how with what you have on the table 😂 Then when they’re posting their meals later in the week all this random stuff like butcher meat and fresh fish/veg etc has appeared, but that never gets mentioned, neither does their stuff like washing powder etc that just magically appears

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Meh

Chatty Member
For the two of us we’re spending a bit more on “proper food” weekly. I’ve also been getting a fresh fruit and veg box from a local place. However, our take away and eating out habit was out of control. Combined with my extreme daily coffee at work/out and about habit we’re saving a lot of money.

Being the weirdo I am I’ve did us an I&E early
In lockdown. From all the £ we’ve been saving on food, coffees, rubbish snacks and travelling to/fro work I’ve been able to get a decent amount of savings started and make monthly overpayments to mortgage.

fully appreciate this is an extremely privileged and fortunate position to be in. I work in public sector in a very safe organisation, however, I’m glad we’ve got the savings behind us now as my partner has had mandatory pay cuts and is on consultation for redundancy. 🤷🏻‍♀️🙄 It can all change so fast these days.

Reactions: 5

rattytatty

Perhaps I’m the odd one out here. But I live alone, I am vegetarian and spend about £15-£20 a week! 🥳

• Heart
Reactions: 5

GossBoss

VIP Member
Yeah you’re right - no take always either so £ for £ it all evens out I guess. Still feel I’ve got shares in the company though. Thankfully back down to about £160 a week now. God I miss popping to the shops for a mooch around after work 🥺
That's what I miss too, just stopping off somewhere on the way home to have a wander whilst it's fairly quiet. I'm working from home, have been since mid march so after work now I wander round the garden thinking about all the things I'd like from all the shops I'd like to wander round 🤷

• Heart
Reactions: 4

leoladyxo

VIP Member
I spend about £80-90 per week at Tesco and that is for two adults. It used to be less than this but I think the prices have been going up since lockdown started, which is quite exploitative considering the situation.

Binwal21

So looking through some of the other threads I’m worried my spending isn’t normal on food shopping every week 🙈

We’re obviously spending a lot more in lockdown as we’ve gone from both having breakfast and lunch in work and eating out on weekends, to eating 3 meals a day at home. But I’m spending between £100 and £130 a week for 2 adults - usually £70ish in Aldi and £30-60 in Tesco (before lockdown it was £70/£80 a week and a LOT more on eating out). It does usually involve wine and beer, and I do cook a lot of new recipes from scratch with nice ingredients but I think that might be a lot! I’d be really interested to know how much you all spend?! Xx

Pegsypog

Interesting topic, I now spend a lot more on groceries but given that coffees and meals out have drastically reduced i bet is still lower than before.
We’re a family of 3, before I used Asda but as it’s impossible to get a slot I had to use Ocado (preggo so don’t want to go to supermarket).
It’s a lot more expensive and our bill per week is around 140. We do throw the odd small toy/book/bubbles on the basket For my little one and I have to get all the toiletries too (before we’d probably go to boots once a week but now has to go all under Ocado).
I love grocery shopping, I am so boring 😜

instasheep

If you can afford it and you’re not wasting anything don’t feel guilty....we could spend a lot more but I do try to reign it in a bit 😂
Awww bless you. We are bloody fortunate and we are aware of that too. It is a working class done well type of guilt I think! (We give a lot too charity too without being the dickheads who post it on Facebook!) Phew! I have justified my spending! 😉❤

• Heart

onmylunchbreak

Family of five and spending about £120 a week, which has gone up by about £30 a week. That includes nappies, wipes, cleaning products etc. We are drinking a little more than before lockdown but only a few beers each a week nothing major. We couldn’t afford to eat out or get coffees out before lockdown so that hasn’t changed for us. We always take packed lunch to work so that’s not changed either. I talk to people and they say how much they are saving. We aren’t at all, if anything we are spending more because I’m sure the cost of groceries has increased. It makes me realise that actually we are very frugal and good with money compared to most.

Reactions: 3

Jg182

Oh my God. I am mortified- 2 adults and we spend £240 per week. We eat very fresh ingredients but I honestly don't know where it goes. We eat out a lot too - so it can be even more. I am glad this is anonymous as I am aware how ridiculous this is!
I find the healthier we eat the more our shop adds up. We eat a lot of fresh fish, and that adds to our weekly shop. If we could I would happily spend abit more on food, espically to be able to make better lunches everyday

Reactions: 2
I have shopped every week since lockdown with Ocado. 5 adults, 2 cats and 1 hamster. Most weeks it’s been over £250. I’m expecting one of their vans to be named after me at this rate. 😳 feel like I’ve paid for it. One of the weeks had a 3 at the beginning....... that was a bad week, lots a alcohol thank god they still use bags that’s all I’m saying. 😉

• Heart

Ems55

Chatty Member
Pre-lockdown around £60-70 a week for 2 adults and a 3 year old. Now hovering around the £100 mark. My husband is furloughed and he would usually be working away a lot and eating on company expenses. And my son got breakfast and lunch at nursery every day. So I can see where the jump has come from. Although we're saving a fortune in nursery fees and fuel for 2 cars commuting every day so I guess not a huge issue. I do still cringe when I see the total on the scanner though!!!!

Bizziebody

VIP Member
i will be spending a whole lot less now that the 18 year old eating machine has moved out.😂

• Haha

Friendsfan

I definitely need to work on spending on our grocery shopping. Spent £90 at tesco one day and couldn’t even make more than three meals across the week. It was chocolate, crisps, ice cream and alcohol. Just saftness and felt shocked that i could spend so much on crap. Very conscious of food waste now because there are only two people in our house. Not even children 😂

Italy2

Chatty Member
Guys I have been brave this week and decided not to do our weekly food shop. We have lots of stuff at home that we can use to make meals. We have meats in the freezer, tinned tomatoes and sweetcorn etc. I just can't be bothered to queue at Asda or other shops for hours. Also we always buy a little extra each week so we have food at home that we can cook creatively lol.

We spent £100 last weekend for 2 people which has lasted us this week and will take over next week. Fingers crossed!

Be creative

£30-£35 a week for me. Aldi shopping and live on my own. Mostly chopped fruit, veg, milk, bread and eggs.