How much do you earn?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I work in Finance. Unqualified in accounting although been working in finance for 10+ years. I'm on £34k plus yearly bonus if I'm lucky.

Edited to add that the cost of living here is really high, so it doesn't go as far as you might think! My food shopping bill for this month (3 adults, 2 kids and a cat) was over GBP 1k.
Same as where I am, where you pay say $5 for bread! I think the UAE will be my next move.

Really interesting thread. I’d be interested to hear from the SAHM on their partners salaries? I’d love to be a SAHM but don’t think it’s affordable?
I’m a SAHM my husbands on about 40k with a company car we manage fine but only have the one child so far and we put a large deposit down on our house a few years back so that’s helped a lot!

Reactions: 2
Accountant, live outside London, £73k, which includes car allowance and small bonus for a 37.5 hour week, no unpaid overtime required and no staff.

I am in awe of those in essential jobs/key workers in NHS, carers, etc. who earn so little. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Really interesting thread. I’d be interested to hear from the SAHM on their partners salaries? I’d love to be a SAHM but don’t think it’s affordable?
It depends on the partner’s salary & your outgoings. When our youngest was small, H was taking home £1400 a month & our mortgage was £1000... not rocket science to see I had to go back to work 😂 Now he’s earning more & our mortgage is less I think we could do it. We don’t have expensive cars (we own our cars outright; they’re not fancy), holidays, lifestyle. But with both kids school age I don’t think I could live with myself sat around all day! I’ve earned my own money since I was 14/15 & was the higher earner before we had kids.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
It depends on the partner’s salary & your outgoings. When our youngest was small, H was taking home £1400 a month & our mortgage was £1000... not rocket science to see I had to go back to work 😂 Now he’s earning more & our mortgage is less I think we could do it. We don’t have expensive cars (we own our cars outright; they’re not fancy), holidays, lifestyle. But with both kids school age I don’t think I could live with myself sat around all day! I’ve earned my own money since I was 14/15 & was the higher earner before we had kids.
I’m completely with you on this! I joke with my OH about when can I quit work and become a kept woman 😂 but honestly, I couldn’t not work. It’s no judgement on those that are SAHM’s, I just enjoy the freedom of my own money, buying what I want and to an extent doing what I want. I hate the idea of wanting something and spending someone else’s cash buying it

Reactions: 4

For those of you wondering how your salary compares to others in the same job, city; here is an interesting website.

I did earn around £17,000 A year as a part time safety coordinator but I resigned last week. In the middle of a pandemic with no job lined up. It’s either going to be the bravest or stupidest decision I’ve ever made, I’ll keep you posted 🙃

Reactions: 6
I’m completely with you on this! I joke with my OH about when can I quit work and become a kept woman 😂 but honestly, I couldn’t not work. It’s no judgement on those that are SAHM’s, I just enjoy the freedom of my own money, buying what I want and to an extent doing what I want. I hate the idea of wanting something and spending someone else’s cash buying it
I do get what you’re saying as it was difficult for me to accept at first when so used to earning my own keep (former SAHM here who has recently returned to work full time on front line) but it’s not someone else’s cash, it’s your spouses, which means it’s for your family. If they go out to work and have agreed that you’re staying at home covering the need for childcare, caring for the house, running errands, cooking meals and looking after the children then it’s division of labour. SAHM is a job in itself, and an unpaid one at that, I don’t care what anybody says. I have been part-time worker, full-time worker and I’ve stayed at home. I can tell you now, staying at home was the most difficult and I did it for three years.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I earn nothing. Tend to say I'm a SAHM but reality is that I'm disabled by chronic illness but while mine doesn't remit, because it is technically remitting, I can't get benefits. Or something like that. I don't understand it as I couldn't have a job even though I'd love to contribute financially. My husband earns around £40k a year I think by working 70 hour weeks so we manage.

I did earn around £17,000 A year as a part time safety coordinator but I resigned last week. In the middle of a pandemic with no job lined up. It’s either going to be the bravest or stupidest decision I’ve ever made, I’ll keep you posted 🙃
😳 What are you going to do instead?

I'm 35, live in Surrey and I earn £24k for working 24.5 hours a week as a housing officer. FTE is £34k so a very good salary for what I do, much higher than other housing officers which is a bit of bone of contention sometimes but I work alone and have additional responsibilities.

😳 What are you going to do instead?
God knows, at the minute I’m just focusing on the little and ‘home schooling’ her, I think we’ll be ok on one wage for about three months maybe? Longer if we cut right back on spending. I didn’t love my job so happy to do anything after the madness (provided I can get something🤞🏽)

God knows, at the minute I’m just focusing on the little and ‘home schooling’ her, I think we’ll be ok on one wage for about three months maybe? Longer if we cut right back on spending. I didn’t love my job so happy to do anything after the madness (provided I can get something🤞🏽)
Out of curiosity, how did you go about handing in your notice? I am wanting to do similar in a few weeks and wondering how to go about it. Is email acceptable?

Out of curiosity, how did you go about handing in your notice? I am wanting to do similar in a few weeks and wondering how to go about it. Is email acceptable?
I went down the email route, if you have a close working relationship maybe give them a call first then follow up with the email? Xx

Ah ok, I was hoping you’d have some exciting new business up your sleeve! I’m thinking similar to you at the mo :)

Marketing on 18k.... terribly underpaid but I like the company benefits... I do need to move elsewhere tho - I know I should be earning a lot more for my role!

I’m 39 and work in the oil & gas sector in admin. I earn £38k + £4K average performance bonus.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.