How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've posted here before - I'm a teacher (FE) and am currently earning 24k a year. I've just found out a colleague, as she has more experience than me, is on 37K for doing the exact same job as me! (I actually do more as I programme lead various units). I literally can't get over it, do you think I'd be rude to ask for a pay rise due to this? I'm on Mat leave at the moment but seriously considering it
WTF that is an outrageous difference. Are you full time? 24k seems relatively low for full time. I hope you ask ASAP and I bet you will be successful. Good luck

Reactions: 4
I've posted here before - I'm a teacher (FE) and am currently earning 24k a year. I've just found out a colleague, as she has more experience than me, is on 37K for doing the exact same job as me! (I actually do more as I programme lead various units). I literally can't get over it, do you think I'd be rude to ask for a pay rise due to this? I'm on Mat leave at the moment but seriously considering it
I’m not a teacher but, I remember when my friend started she was on around £24-25k then it went up in increments each year. She was on £30k by her third year. Not sure how far you are into it but, it’s definitely worth asking!

Reactions: 2
I’m not a teacher but, I remember when my friend started she was on around £24-25k then it went up in increments each year. She was on £30k by her third year. Not sure how far you are into it but, it’s definitely worth asking!
I'm my second year into it, thank you I definitely will be!

Definitely put a case together to ask for more. I’d avoid saying things like x person is on this much and I do more or saying you’ve seen roles elsewhere as in my experience it kind of gets brushed under the carpet. Start off with an introductory paragraph of what your role is and how much experience you bring. Then follow up with secondary paragraphs of the responsibilities you take on, where things are going above and beyond etc. I know you’re a school so there might not be £ attached but try and attach a metric they do use to demonstrate how good you are. Then end with how much you think think would be an agreeable pay rise. Think about what you think you want and add more (around 10-20%) and hopefully they will meet you in the middle around what you actually wanted.

Definitely put a case together to ask for more. I’d avoid saying things like x person is on this much and I do more or saying you’ve seen roles elsewhere as in my experience it kind of gets brushed under the carpet. Start off with an introductory paragraph of what your role is and how much experience you bring. Then follow up with secondary paragraphs of the responsibilities you take on, where things are going above and beyond etc. I know you’re a school so there might not be £ attached but try and attach a metric they do use to demonstrate how good you are. Then end with how much you think think would be an agreeable pay rise. Think about what you think you want and add more (around 10-20%) and hopefully they will meet you in the middle around what you actually wanted.
Amazing advice thank you - I really appreciate that x

• Heart
Amazing advice thank you - I really appreciate that x
Also be aware it may be experience related like the traditional teacher pay scale is. She may be doing the same job but if she has years under her belt that may warrant the higher salary.

I'm a sales admin, been at my job for 7 years and I work 32 hours a week, I'm on £23k. Early 30s. I'm a single parent and sadly can't afford the nursery fees to work an extra day, so I do 4 days a week.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve had a promotion and a 5k pay rise since last posting on this thread.
almost at my 40k pa goal (although I will exceed this with annual bonus) so time to set a new goal me thinks

I’ve had a promotion and a 5k pay rise since last posting on this thread.
almost at my 40k pa goal (although I will exceed this with annual bonus) so time to set a new goal me thinks
Congratulations!

I’m glad it’s not just me who sets salary goals: my next one is £100k (currently on £65k).

Unfortunately in my career in the NHS there is a ceiling and I'm near the top. I suppose I could consider private practice at some point in the future.

75k, I’m an Actuary.
I’m starting as a trainee actuary for my graduate job this year, on 31k which I was pretty happy with (no exam exemptions and not London). Would you say this is about right for starting? How long did it take you to get up to 75K? Being nosey…

Unfortunately in my career in the NHS there is a ceiling and I'm near the top. I suppose I could consider private practice at some point in the future.
I changed to private last year. Still band 5 role with a few extra responsibilities- £34500.
I’m also starting some agency work 8-6 £525 a day before tax!!

Reactions: 1
I’m starting as a trainee actuary for my graduate job this year, on 31k which I was pretty happy with (no exam exemptions and not London). Would you say this is about right for starting? How long did it take you to get up to 75K? Being nosey…
Just FYI there is a studytuber (PaigeY) who had a trainee actuary job and is currently studying for exams if you want to know more about it. She does mention her starting salary too and after her first year has been promoted.

I'm on £39k, secondary teacher, 8yrs into teaching.

Anyone here who has left the profession with a positive story? I want to leave but unsure of what roles to look for. I know that I have a lot if transferable skills. Thanks

I'm on £39k, secondary teacher, 8yrs into teaching.

Anyone here who has left the profession with a positive story? I want to leave but unsure of what roles to look for. I know that I have a lot if transferable skills. Thanks
Go into management in public sector your skills are highly transferable as it is like working with kids 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
£10 p/h as a receptionist 16-30 hours a week :)
i’ve just finished university (literally last week) so this suits me well!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3