How Much Do You Earn? #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Our opinions on this are a mile apart so I'm going to leave it there.
Dad that grew up with nothing that wanted to give his children everything and there is nothing wrong with that.
I will do the same for my children for as long as I need to or can. I often get this exact reaction but I would like you to know there isn’t a single thing wrong with it. I still choose to work and invest my money correctly though I do not need to.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Dad that grew up with nothing that wanted to give his children everything and there is nothing wrong with that.
I will do the same for my children for as long as I need to or can. I often get this exact reaction but I would like you to know there isn’t a single thing wrong with it. I still choose to work and invest my money correctly though I do not need to.
Your dad makes the rules. Nothing in life is free and I greatly believe you need to pay your own way in life. All families bring up their children how they see fit.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Are your parents not charging you rent? My eldest starts his new job in a few weeks and I've ready emailed him the invoice.
Emailed the invoice 😂😂😂 Seems a little formal for your own child

If it makes life any easier just tell everyone that you do pay rent. End of conversation 😅. You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone.

I only ever had to pay a small % but my parents were just making a point.

Reactions: 14
Small percentage is still something though, and the rent could be put into savings for when ya move out.

Different strokes and all that.

Reactions: 2
Emailed the invoice 😂😂😂 Seems a little formal for your own child

If it makes life any easier just tell everyone that you do pay rent. End of conversation 😅. You don’t need to explain yourself to anyone.

I only ever had to pay a small % but my parents were just making a point.
First of every month I'll be asking him for £200. He eats more than me, he can pay his way

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Eek that’s steep. I paid £15 per week.
Oh wow, you were lucky. I was paying my mum £30 for one night 25 years ago. £200 is the going rate, my mortgage is more than my monthly take home pay, with bills increasing its still a lot cheaper than moving out. I'll end up putting as much as I can in a savings account for him.

Reactions: 8
Oh wow, you were lucky. I was paying my mum £30 for one night 25 years ago. £200 is the going rate, my mortgage is more than my monthly take home pay, with bills increasing its still a lot cheaper than moving out. I'll end up putting as much as I can in a savings account for him.
I paid £200 as well when I was working full time

I’ve never paid “rent” to my parents and I’d never charge my own children, it doesn’t sit right with me

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’ve never paid “rent” to my parents and I’d never charge my own children, it doesn’t sit right with me
Fwiw, I saw it as contributing to the household, such as food shopping. Whereas a friend paid her keep, but her mum actually put it into a savings account for her to gift back to her. Its a good lesson with money, imo

• Heart
Reactions: 4
That’s up to you.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I started working at 16 and gave my mum and dad £80 a month. By the time I moved out at 23 I was in a better paying job and gave them £200 a month.

Paying all my own bills/doing the food shops etc at that point made me appreciate how much things actually cost and how £200 wasn’t really much in the grand scheme of things!

Reactions: 5
I was the youngest in my year at school and left in the July when I was 15, 16 in August. I started a full time job almost immediately and was earning £60 a month (I'm going back a bit) & gave my parents £15, 25% of my wage. This was the same even if I want away for a week. I did my own washing and ironing & when I queried paying if I was on holiday my Dad made the very valid point that if I wanted a bed when I came back I paid. They stilll had the bills and mortgage to pay so 🤷
Made sense to me.

Reactions: 5
I was the youngest in my year at school and left in the July when I was 15, 16 in August. I started a full time job almost immediately and was earning £60 a month (I'm going back a bit) & gave my parents £15, 25% of my wage. This was the same even if I want away for a week. I did my own washing and ironing & when I queried paying if I was on holiday my Dad made the very valid point that if I wanted a bed when I came back I paid. They stilll had the bills and mortgage to pay so 🤷
Made sense to me.
This is such a good point, your landlord or mortgage provider won't let you off a payment if you're not living there for a while. I've told my two the same. They either pay towards the running of the house or they move out. Might seem harsh to some but I'm not a charity.

My parents never charged me rent and I still became a responsible human who pays my mortgage etc. It really doesn’t matter- there’s no right or wrong, just personal preference.
I will never charge my children money to live in our family home, just my personal preference and I don’t expect it to have much impact on the overall people they will become.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
My parents never charged me rent and I still became a responsible human who pays my mortgage etc. It really doesn’t matter- there’s no right or wrong, just personal preference.
I will never charge my children money to live in our family home, just my personal preference and I don’t expect it to have much impact on the overall people they will become.
Thats exactly what it is, personal preference. Bills are increasing and my boy will have no choice but to contribute, he's more than happy to, not that it makes any difference.

• Heart
After uni I'm hoping to go into HR. Currently get a little under 900 and I don't work at the moment.

Reactions: 1