Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

RumNCoke

Chatty Member
Eating shouldn’t really be a reward BUT... I’ve definitely been feeling less guilty for eating crap and drinking lots of booze if I keep on top of my exercising x
This has been the major turning point for me! My whole life I've been an emotional eater. Feel shite - eat/drink - feel guilty. Rinse and repeat. I'm so much happier that I'm in control of this, I still keep around 150kcals for an evening choc snack (if I go cold turkey I will binge at weekend) and don't wake up feeling guilty. Lost 7lbs in 3 weeks and no intention of stopping. Also noticing differences from exercise so that's a motivator too.

Reactions: 5

Naataaliiee

I’m on mat leave so have been walking daily for months with my baby in her pram. My Apple watch is a huge motivator for me. I aim to walk 30-60 mins daily at a brisk pace and hit 10k steps. I love exercising; my problem is I love eating more 😩 i’ve gradually lost weight since having my little one but only around 1 to 2lbs a month... I just couldn’t seem to shift it, even with my daily exercise. Since New Year, I’ve really tried to focus on my portion control. Per meal, I try to have a palm sized amount of protein (sometimes more if i’m hungry, don’t see the problem with increasing healthy proteins!), a cupped handful of carbs (wholemeal), a thumb sized amount of ‘good’ fat eg avocado, and then fill up on a variety of veg. I have 2 coffees in the morning then drink water for the rest of the day. I allow myself a couple of alcoholic drinks Fri, Sat and Sun but try to maintain my eating (although some snacks do creep in of a weekend...) . Since doing this, the weight has quite literally dropped off me! I couldn’t believe it. And I feel just as full as I did before, less bloated and my skin is so much better!

Reactions: 5

Dogtanian

VIP Member
Hello - Long time lurker, first time poster.
I'm currently trying to lose weight (A LOT OF WEIGHT) and was doing great until the lockdown (18 lbs since New Years Day). Unfortunately I'm on the NHS shielding list so I'm unable to leave my property which really restricts what I can and cannot do. Before lockdown I was aiming for 500 kCals, 30 minutes and 5000 steps of exercise per day as a minimum with a quite loose diet.
On the plus side, I've been able to get up and down the stairs in my small terraced house about 20-30 times a day and although I can no longer do the 5k steps a day, I'm still losing about 1lb per week which is something.
Ps. For anyone wanting to lose weight, I cannot recommend a fitbit or an apple watch enough. I got an old 1st generation Apples watch last summer for about £100 and it's been a life changer. Before that I was a yo-yo weight loser and now it's coming off and staying off.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Octopies

Chatty Member
I’ve done slimming world and lost a few stone but never long term, always gained again.

During lockdown I have started calorie counting using an app called calorie counter. It’s amazing! I am loving calorie counting so far. I don’t deny myself anything I really want but I am making my self accountable by RECORDING EVERY THING! It’s so easy to chomp your way through a whole packet of biscuits! But if you at least write it down you are being accountable for your actions...

it’s not so much About ‘calories’ for me but other things - you get to track how much protein, fibre, etc you are getting. I quickly realised I am hungry a lot because my diet is carb heavy. I started eating more protein. I still have ‘bad’ things - I will never give up Lurpak butter, but I have less, and I balance it out across the day (lurpak on toast = fine, but no chocolate later 🤷‍♀️). I finally feel like I am learning about what’s in food and what I should be having. You don’t restrict yourself like you do on SW so it’s more sustainable long term

eye_rolling_always

Hello 1st of May starters! May I join?

I've weighed in.. I have 1 stone to lose. For my build if I lost more I'd look too gaunt.

I'm not weighing until 31st May. Reading all the comments I'm going to try the 30 day shred. Not changing my diet though, I value food too much lol.

Good luck guys

TheRealCarolDanvers

Joining! Did Slimming World last year and lost 12 pounds, sadly most of it has crept back on during lockdown. I’m walking for an hour everyday, and started Chloe Ting’s 4 week summer shred this week which I’m really enjoying. I love exercising and eating healthily, but can’t seem to get the balance right and always end up snacking! Alcohol is an issue too, I don’t have a problem but I think we are all guilty of drinking more than usual at the minute. MyFitnessPal has been a great help but not seeing much difference on the scales yet. Getting married next year and will soon be going dress shopping so want to be in some decent shape at least!

Justhereforacreep

May was a terrible month for me - April I was flying it but the good weather and combination of being totally fucking sick of living inside the four walls of my house turned me to my vice - bread. Several hundred loaves down I am starting today fresh, filling up on fruit and I am having ON oats for breakfast and a ham/tuna salad picky plate for lunch followed by a calorie counted Guosto dinner.
I got down to my goal weight last year - then me and my partner split up and I gained two of the five stone I lost. Again, bread and wine was the cause of that. We got back together and are totally happy now but I do joke all I gained from the breakup was a higher BMI :)
WE CAN DO THIS!

• Heart

hrh89

VIP Member
I’m in a similar boat.
last year I lost 2 stone, went from around 12 stone 7 to 10 stone 7 in 6 months and I was quite happy! I’m 5 ft 6 so was in a perfect weight for my height literally for the first time in my life 😂

Then some shit stuff has happened in my family and I’ve put on a stone now and I’m back up to 11 stone 7.
Gutted. I’ve been putting off weighing myself because I was scared at the damage. I’m annoyed it’s a stone but sort of pleased it’s not more than that.
Anyway, in order to lose my initial weight I was on between 1200-1500 calories a day and lost about 1.5lbs a week on that. With minimal exercise just walking really.
It’s more about diet which is the hardest bloody thing right now because all I want to do is sit and eat and eat and eat.
I’ve started back counting calories a week ago and feel like I have some control back.
Good luck to you.

Amber90

We are not alone clearly ladies. Many of us struggle the same way. Let's all be positive and not slip back to ED ways... I'm currently listening to "just eat it" yes I'm up for the weekly drop in. Nice to talk to strangers about struggles etc especially those with seemingly similar situations. I've come to the river to have my tea in the sun. Cous cous salad with continental meats and fruit! 🥰

• Heart

Mercedes12

VIP Member
Does anyone have any favourite foods they use to help cut back?
I’m obsessed with Hartleys sugar free jelly. I make an entire sachet and eat the whole thing in a bowl 😂 it’s literally like 35 calories for the whole thing and it feels like a nice big treat.

I like foods you can eat in volume 😂
Eggs, chicken, tuna, salmon are always my go to for low carb/high protein!
Love those jelly’s too 😍

hrh89

VIP Member
The opposite has happened to me during lockdown, ive lost over 2 stone. Has this happened to anyone else? Always lethargic, absolutely no appetite, where I won’t eat for days.
Outside of lockdown, I practice yoga daily and go on country walks, which I find helps keep my weight down.
Lots of free beginners vids of yoga on YouTube, and a lot of studios are doing online zoom classes where you can practice in the comfort of your own home ☺
Lethargy and no appetite don’t sound good. Are you feeling okay? I wouldn’t ignore stuff like that if it goes in too long xx

Stress Ball

I may be late to the game but listening to an audiobook really is helping me walk longer! And my library has an app with loads you can borrow so it costs nothing. Looking forward to getting back out today again!

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
My weight has started to creep down. I’ve subconsciously started eating two meals a day. I’m now having two meals I really want to eat. It’s cause I usually have a strong coffee and that’s been keeping me go till 10, then I’ve just been having an apple and then lunch about 12.30.
I’ve been doing couck2k too. Down about 7lbs in two week, despite having half a loaf of sourdough and sooooo much fried drive. X

hrh89

VIP Member
Don't stress yourself with exercising if it's not something you enjoyed before lockdown. I echo what a few others here have said and increase your daily steps and be in a calorie deficit. You can use an online TDEE calculator to work out how many calories you should be eating to be in a deficit.

Don't overcomplicate it - life is stessful enough at the moment :) I've lost 70lbs (5 stone) in the last year and all I did was what I mentioned above - no fad diets, no extreme work out regime and no demonising foods or food groups!

Just be consistent and if you fuck up along the way make sure you get back on it!
thats amazing well done!!

Boostar_

Amazing, well done. How did you get into running? Any tips?
I did Couch to 5K. Downloaded the app and just started at week one, run one.

I started running when I was 245lbs and my fitness level was terrible. The first "run" is a brisk 5 mins walk to warm up then jog for 60s, walk for 90s, jog for 60s etc for eight turns then brisk 5 min walk to cool down. I was dying after jogging for 60s but I did it then did it again twice more that week. The program builds up your stamina gradually until, in week 9, you are running for 30 mins solid. I still can't run 5km in 30 mins but I now run several times a week and 5km is the shortest distance I'll run. Last week I did a long run that lasted an hour and covered 8km.

I also watched a few YT videos from The Running Channel and The Run Experience on proper running techniques and beginner's tips. I found these very useful.

I would recommend a good pair of running shoes from the very beginning. I also required a good sports bra, anti-blister socks and some seamless running pants after a couple of weeks. Rest days are really important as well - you might end up with DOMS or shin splints (I did!) and they go away after a day of rest.

Completely forgot to say, I weighed in yesterday and I've lost 2.125lbs since last Sunday. I'm 177 5/8 lbs. I cheated a bit and weighed myself on Thursday so that's why in my previous post, I was the same weight!

Last edited:

Gembo

VIP Member
I am struggling so much and feeling awful about my weight. I think I set myself up for failure. After losing 7 stone over the past couple of years I put about half a stone on after the deaths of my parents. When we went into lockdown I was sure it’d only be for 8-12 weeks at the most and then I’d be jetting off on a far flung holiday so I went a bit stupid really cutting my calories and exercising for a couple of hours today, whilst feeling really jealous of everyone who was making banana bread and ordering pizza.

Then we hit July and the approach of the first anniversary of my mums death, the grief finally hit me after mostly just feeling numb and I’ve been off the rails most of the time since then. I’m now probably about a stone and a half up on the lightest I got down to and just can’t stop eating. My exercise has kind of fallen by the wayside too. I’ve struggled with my eating since I was a teen and I’ve been terrible for binge eating. I’m still in the healthy weight bracket so I know that’s good but I’m the biggest I’ve been since I first lost the weight and I’ve been losing sleep over it, literally. I feel horrible and so uncomfortable in my body 😔 I just keep telling myself I’ll sort it out next year, food feels like the only thing I enjoy at the moment.

• Heart
  • Sad

lizziew92

I feel you on the weight gain 😭 haven’t weighed myself as I think I’ll just burst into tears but reckon it’s at least half a stone since lockdown as we just have no routine and eating and drinking way more than when my partner and I are out working.

I was wearing my Apple Watch and trying to make sure I closed all the rings every day and since April started had actually racked up 40 miles of running BUT last week I became really unwell with cellulitis in my foot, prescribed industrial strength antibiotics and had to keep off it completely for 3 days and was just craving comfort food, feeling better now but can’t do any exercise still for at least the rest of the week 😭 feel like I’m just ballooning by the minute!

Would agree with other posters make sure you’re getting your steps in, also try and keep on top of calories even though it’s hard, since I’ve been sofa bound I’ve just been keeping my hands busy to stop from snacking, I’ve painted my nails about 5 times and I’ve been doing some hand sewing (cross stitch) which keeps you occupied and can do in front of the TV, also it’s very therapeutic!

Hang in there and thanks for starting this thread, looking forward to seeing other people’s tips.

nobrains

that’s a very very quick loss at 4lbs a week! I hope you are making sure you are eating enough..I’m not trying to put a downer on your achievement it’s brilliant and you should be so proud.
Yeah eating 3 meals a day and fruit for snacks but making sure I am cutting out all junk,less carbs and only good carbs when I do eat them :)

• Heart