How did the covid-19 lockdown effect your weight. General thread.

Covid and your weight

• Lost

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • Gained

Votes: 90 64.3%
  • Unchanged

Votes: 20 14.3%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all. I've put on at least half a stone since lock down. I was a stone overweight anyway and I'm only 5ft so I look huge. I can't stop snacking and eating to try and cheer myself up. Has anyone got any advice please. I used to run which helped my fitness but after having a baby a year ago my pelvic floor doesn't like running very much! 😭😢

Any tips would be great. Thanks x

Reactions: 10
Hi all. I've put on at least half a stone since lock down. I was a stone overweight anyway and I'm only 5ft so I look huge. I can't stop snacking and eating to try and cheer myself up. Has anyone got any advice please. I used to run which helped my fitness but after having a baby a year ago my pelvic floor doesn't like running very much! 😭😢

Any tips would be great. Thanks x
Walk an hour a day. Trust me,I’ve done it every day since lockdown and I’ve seen a massive difference, not changed my diet at all either. Can’t give an actual weight loss cos I don’t have scales (gunna weigh in when I’m back at work on their scales) but my clothes are loose,wearing clothes I haven’t been able to fit in for ages and I feel so much better. I set my alarm before kids wake up and walk round my village with my headphones on at a fairly brisk pace. It’s a game changer.

Reactions: 35
Walk an hour a day. Trust me,I’ve done it every day since lockdown and I’ve seen a massive difference, not changed my diet at all either. Can’t give an actual weight loss cos I don’t have scales (gunna weigh in when I’m back at work on their scales) but my clothes are loose,wearing clothes I haven’t been able to fit in for ages and I feel so much better. I set my alarm before kids wake up and walk round my village with my headphones on at a fairly brisk pace. It’s a game changer.
Oh wow that's amazing. Thanks so much for your reply. I have a Garmin watch which tracks your steps so I will charge that up and make sure I'm getting my walks in. X

Reactions: 5
I agree on the walking too. I had list 16lb before lockdown and have managed to stick to it and walking us definitely help me stay focused and it's a good weight loss tool and mood booster x

Reactions: 6
I agree on the walking too. I had list 16lb before lockdown and have managed to stick to it and walking us definitely help me stay focused and it's a good weight loss tool and mood booster x
16lb is amazing! OK I shall be going on a walk tonight once the baby is sorted etc.

• Heart
16lb is amazing! OK I shall be going on a walk tonight once the baby is sorted etc.
I have alot to lose. I joined sw 5 weeks before lockdown and lost the 16lb. I introduced walking and have stuck to healthy eating, I'm hoping for another 14 lb or so when class resumes. I highly recommend getting out for the spell of fresh air😃

Last edited:
I feel you on the weight gain 😭 haven’t weighed myself as I think I’ll just burst into tears but reckon it’s at least half a stone since lockdown as we just have no routine and eating and drinking way more than when my partner and I are out working.

I was wearing my Apple Watch and trying to make sure I closed all the rings every day and since April started had actually racked up 40 miles of running BUT last week I became really unwell with cellulitis in my foot, prescribed industrial strength antibiotics and had to keep off it completely for 3 days and was just craving comfort food, feeling better now but can’t do any exercise still for at least the rest of the week 😭 feel like I’m just ballooning by the minute!

Would agree with other posters make sure you’re getting your steps in, also try and keep on top of calories even though it’s hard, since I’ve been sofa bound I’ve just been keeping my hands busy to stop from snacking, I’ve painted my nails about 5 times and I’ve been doing some hand sewing (cross stitch) which keeps you occupied and can do in front of the TV, also it’s very therapeutic!

Hang in there and thanks for starting this thread, looking forward to seeing other people’s tips.

Reactions: 4
Oh wow that's amazing. Thanks so much for your reply. I have a Garmin watch which tracks your steps so I will charge that up and make sure I'm getting my walks in. X
You’re welcome,honestly after a week you will be hooked! It’s a lovely way to have time to yourself too x

I feel you on the weight gain 😭 haven’t weighed myself as I think I’ll just burst into tears but reckon it’s at least half a stone since lockdown as we just have no routine and eating and drinking way more than when my partner and I are out working.

I was wearing my Apple Watch and trying to make sure I closed all the rings every day and since April started had actually racked up 40 miles of running BUT last week I became really unwell with cellulitis in my foot, prescribed industrial strength antibiotics and had to keep off it completely for 3 days and was just craving comfort food, feeling better now but can’t do any exercise still for at least the rest of the week 😭 feel like I’m just ballooning by the minute!

Would agree with other posters make sure you’re getting your steps in, also try and keep on top of calories even though it’s hard, since I’ve been sofa bound I’ve just been keeping my hands busy to stop from snacking, I’ve painted my nails about 5 times and I’ve been doing some hand sewing (cross stitch) which keeps you occupied and can do in front of the TV, also it’s very therapeutic!

Hang in there and thanks for starting this thread, looking forward to seeing other people’s tips.
It's so hard when you are injured or ill. Great idea about keeping your hands busy though

Ive lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks. I make sure I am in a calorie deficit and exercise everyday. I am doing a minimum of 30 mins cardio either a walk or biking on my turbo trainer and I am doing a full weight training regime. I started off at 12 st and an 10 st 12 atm. I need to loose 12 pounds yet. I havent had a rest day yet and prefer to do it everyday.

The main motivation for me has the fact I've had time to reflect on life,I want to look and feel good and do more with my life. Loosing weight was the first step in the right direction. The exercising time is MY time too which is great for the mind.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I'm starting today after putting on 7lb since lockdown. I already had 2st to lose! I plan to tract my cals on my fitness pal and walk as much as I can. An hours walk a day then on the spot walking whilst watching tv. We can do it 💪

Reactions: 8
I agree with walking!! And I’ve noticed keeping myself busy. I make a list of things I’ve been wanting to do around the house and now is the perfect time to get it done. Staying busy keeps my mind off the snack cabinet lol good luck I know it’s hard.

Reactions: 5
Just to say I am following as I weighed today was it was not good, at least half a stone on and i had over a stone to loose anyway. Going to try running on the eve when my husband is home to take over kids and try a low carb diet which worked for me before but all tips welcome!

Reactions: 2
Get walking for an hour a day.

Diet wise (I hate diets!!!!) but reducing carbs really helps me, you don’t need to go mad but you would be surprised at how baaaaaad some foods are.

But also... it is an absolutely awful time for every single one of us at the moment and if a family sized chocolate bar or a packet of crisps makes you feel better then duck it... have it. Once normality resumes the weight will fall off. Try not to beat yourself up.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m in a similar boat.
last year I lost 2 stone, went from around 12 stone 7 to 10 stone 7 in 6 months and I was quite happy! I’m 5 ft 6 so was in a perfect weight for my height literally for the first time in my life 😂

Then some tit stuff has happened in my family and I’ve put on a stone now and I’m back up to 11 stone 7.
Gutted. I’ve been putting off weighing myself because I was scared at the damage. I’m annoyed it’s a stone but sort of pleased it’s not more than that.
Anyway, in order to lose my initial weight I was on between 1200-1500 calories a day and lost about 1.5lbs a week on that. With minimal exercise just walking really.
It’s more about diet which is the hardest bloody thing right now because all I want to do is sit and eat and eat and eat.
I’ve started back counting calories a week ago and feel like I have some control back.
Good luck to you.

Get walking for an hour a day.

Diet wise (I hate diets!!!!) but reducing carbs really helps me, you don’t need to go mad but you would be surprised at how baaaaaad some foods are.

But also... it is an absolutely awful time for every single one of us at the moment and if a family sized chocolate bar or a packet of crisps makes you feel better then duck it... have it. Once normality resumes the weight will fall off. Try not to beat yourself up.
Yeah you are right xx

Right. Baby is in bed. Husband has cooked dinner but I am going for my walk while I can. Resisting all temptation to drink wine and eat sweets x

Reactions: 3
Ive lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks. I make sure I am in a calorie deficit and exercise everyday. I am doing a minimum of 30 mins cardio either a walk or biking on my turbo trainer and I am doing a full weight training regime. I started off at 12 st and an 10 st 12 atm. I need to loose 12 pounds yet. I havent had a rest day yet and prefer to do it everyday.

The main motivation for me has the fact I've had time to reflect on life,I want to look and feel good and do more with my life. Loosing weight was the first step in the right direction. The exercising time is MY time too which is great for the mind.
that’s a very very quick loss at 4lbs a week! I hope you are making sure you are eating enough..I’m not trying to put a downer on your achievement it’s brilliant and you should be so proud.

Reactions: 2
Yeah you are right xx

Right. Baby is in bed. Husband has cooked dinner but I am going for my walk while I can. Resisting all temptation to drink wine and eat sweets x
Eating shouldn’t really be a reward BUT... I’ve definitely been feeling less guilty for eating crap and drinking lots of booze if I keep on top of my exercising x

Reactions: 3
that’s a very very quick loss at 4lbs a week! I hope you are making sure you are eating enough..I’m not trying to put a downer on your achievement it’s brilliant and you should be so proud.
Yeah eating 3 meals a day and fruit for snacks but making sure I am cutting out all junk,less carbs and only good carbs when I do eat them :)

• Heart