Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Griggsy39

Hi all. I've put on at least half a stone since lock down. I was a stone overweight anyway and I'm only 5ft so I look huge. I can't stop snacking and eating to try and cheer myself up. Has anyone got any advice please. I used to run which helped my fitness but after having a baby a year ago my pelvic floor doesn't like running very much! 😭😢

Any tips would be great. Thanks x
Walk an hour a day. Trust me,I’ve done it every day since lockdown and I’ve seen a massive difference, not changed my diet at all either. Can’t give an actual weight loss cos I don’t have scales (gunna weigh in when I’m back at work on their scales) but my clothes are loose,wearing clothes I haven’t been able to fit in for ages and I feel so much better. I set my alarm before kids wake up and walk round my village with my headphones on at a fairly brisk pace. It’s a game changer.

Reactions: 35

nobrains

Ive lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks. I make sure I am in a calorie deficit and exercise everyday. I am doing a minimum of 30 mins cardio either a walk or biking on my turbo trainer and I am doing a full weight training regime. I started off at 12 st and an 10 st 12 atm. I need to loose 12 pounds yet. I havent had a rest day yet and prefer to do it everyday.

The main motivation for me has the fact I've had time to reflect on life,I want to look and feel good and do more with my life. Loosing weight was the first step in the right direction. The exercising time is MY time too which is great for the mind.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

AliceD369

Don't stress yourself with exercising if it's not something you enjoyed before lockdown. I echo what a few others here have said and increase your daily steps and be in a calorie deficit. You can use an online TDEE calculator to work out how many calories you should be eating to be in a deficit.

Don't overcomplicate it - life is stessful enough at the moment :) I've lost 70lbs (5 stone) in the last year and all I did was what I mentioned above - no fad diets, no extreme work out regime and no demonising foods or food groups!

Just be consistent and if you fuck up along the way make sure you get back on it!

• Heart
Reactions: 19

theghosttown

VIP Member
Get walking for an hour a day.

Diet wise (I hate diets!!!!) but reducing carbs really helps me, you don’t need to go mad but you would be surprised at how baaaaaad some foods are.

But also... it is an absolutely awful time for every single one of us at the moment and if a family sized chocolate bar or a packet of crisps makes you feel better then fuck it... have it. Once normality resumes the weight will fall off. Try not to beat yourself up.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

hrh89

VIP Member
Lost 3 pounds this week! Granted half of that is probably water weight but I’m pleased the week of cutting back has paid off. Feel a bit more motivated to stick with it now.

Reactions: 11

Redwine

Hi all. I've put on at least half a stone since lock down. I was a stone overweight anyway and I'm only 5ft so I look huge. I can't stop snacking and eating to try and cheer myself up. Has anyone got any advice please. I used to run which helped my fitness but after having a baby a year ago my pelvic floor doesn't like running very much! 😭😢

Any tips would be great. Thanks x

Reactions: 10

Dannie

Chatty Member
I’ve lost just under 2 stone, I would love to say it’s been a diet but it’s been worry and anxiety. It’s been strange as I normally go the other way and I binge eat and that’s why I found myself getting up to 19 stone but hubby was due to start a new job before lockdown which fell through because of it and I had started a new job which was now been put on hold. We have savings in the bank and a army pension for income but the worry about the future was tormenting me and I then found out my mum passed away on the 12 the March and I could not go to the funeral due to showing symptoms in my household. There as also been other bombshells dropped on me too over lockdown which as caused me to crumble,

However hubby as had a couple of Skype interviews which are looking promising and I’ve been told due to the new changes with the government I now qualify for furlough so now both our income combined covers both the bills and food so we don’t have to touch our savings which is a massive relief. My appetite is coming back now but Im making sure as I move forward to eat healthy and mindfully and I’m walking a hour a day whilst in lockdown which is helping and I will lose the rest slowly. However I’ve thrown all my slimming World stuff out and thrown my scales as Ill never waste another minute dieting again and tormenting myself with the scales. This situation we have found ourselves in as shown me life’s too short to worry about things that don’t matter like healthy extras and bloody syns x

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 10

Justhereforacreep

Calorie deficit and daily walks helped me lose four and a half stone over a 18 month period, I lost it slowly and steadily instead of crash dieting and it helped me understand my relationship with food as I was a binge eater when under stress or feeling down.
I’ve naturally put some weight on from being on lockdown and going through furlough but I have started couch 2 5K and it’s really helping my mind and hopefully I will lose the extra weight I’ve gained.
For years I did SW, shakes, even weight loss pills and in the end, the only thing that actually worked for me long term and didn’t make me scared of certain food groups and restrict binge was the calorie counting and eat better move more approach.

Reactions: 9

GossBoss

VIP Member
Morning everyone ! I only started watching this thread yesterday but you all inspired me. I've an office based job and have been working from home the last 4 weeks, and like most people have gained half a stone. But this morning I got up and went for a walk, before 8am & only half an hour but I'm buzzing ! Thanks you lot, I'm going to try and get out every morning early. This week it's ok as I'm "off work" on annual leave but I'll maybe get up extra early when I'm back working next week 😊

Reactions: 9

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
I tried every diet over the years and have always been a yo-yo dieter. I’ve kept it off for 2 yrs now and can honestly say that the book (and accompanying CD) ‘I can make you thin’ by Paul McKenna changed my whole approach and attitude to food. I know it sounds corny, and I scoffed at it too at first. A friend recommended it to me and I only bought the book bcos I figured well at £9.99 that was only a week or two of Slimming World membership (so I could put off going back for 2 weeks) and what harm could it do? I chuckled with my husband that I was reading such utter rubbish. But do you know what, I read the book, followed the techniques, listen to the CD, and the weight fell off and I was eating food I loved!

I know I sound like an ambassador or influencer but I’m not; it just changed my attitude so profoundly and I would never go back to any diet now.

His ethos is essentially that every diet out there is a fast-track to long-term failure, and it makes you address WHY you over eat. For example, one of the exercises in the book encourages you to put a post-it note on your snack-drawer/fridge/food cupboards saying “What do you REALLY want?”. Of course the humorous part of me would answer “A fucking biscuit!”, but the exercises I the book help you to delve deeper and I can honestly say that taking 30 seconds to consider that question brought me to tears in the first week. Because you know what sometimes I was lonely and needed a hug, sometimes stressed and wanted to hit something, often just bored, but SO often I was just filling that void with food. I guess it’s different for everyone but his book helped me to address the root causes more than any other system in my 40 yrs on this earth!

Reactions: 8

hrh89

VIP Member
didn’t realise flying saucers (the sweets with sherbet in) were so low calorie. bought a pack in Morrison today and they were 40p and only 60 calories for the bag. that’s my new fave for sugar kicks now 😂

• Wow
  • Haha

idkiwi

It's nice to know most of us are in the same boat! I'm currently 14 stone and this time last year I was 11 stone 9 the lowest since I was 18 and I'm 24 now. Piled the weight back on comfort eating from stress and boredom but I know I can do it again, I started this Monday. Here's what I found helped me lose the most

- Set a small goal first of half a stone/half stone and go from there, and have a small treat as a reward (doesn't have to be food or drink)
- I only drank water and black coffee unless I went on a night out
- If I went out for food I would get starters as a main or ask for a kids portion 🙈
- The walking really does work, an hour a day is all it takes but I know that doesn't suit everyone, but it was the only exercise I did
- I did OMAD some days (one meal a day) and I had that meal in the evening, or else intermittent fasting
- Lowering my carb intake
- If I did eat carbs I would make sure they were wholegrain and had a smaller portion
- Used myfitnesspal to track calories and make note of portion sizes
- Weigh out the portion before I cooked it for pasta, rice etc instead of eyeballing it
- Weighed myself once a week only on the same day each time
- Took a progress picture each week, would also recommend taking measurements although I didn't do that but I'm going to start

I hope someone finds these tips helpful, I'm not an expert most of this is common sense and I've spent lots of time watching YouTube videos and reading weight loss forums, Reddit is quite good for that I like to read the Keto page even though I don't adhere by it.
I think in the end slow and steady is way better, less of a chance of binge eating or developing loose skin if you rush it.

My ideal weight would be 9 stone, I'm 5ft 5 and also I'm giving myself until the end of this year to reach this goal, although this may change depending on how strict I am with myself and if I feel comfortable at a different weight, I haven't been that small in years so who knows!

Very sorry for the rambling, this is my first proper comment that wasn't a screenshot haha

Hopefully some of you will find this helpful and I'd be happy to share more tips and tricks if anyone is interested ☺

hrh89

VIP Member
I think we need to stop thinking of it as a diet but as a means to a happier place in life. Think about two months from now, how much better you’ll feel, then think about two months from now if you still haven’t done anything about it. This is what I keep trying to tell myself.

I still have stuff like chocolate and crisps everyday and pizza once a week and ice cream and sweets. I don’t cut those things out just make sure they’re within my calorie goal. I will never understand low this and that or no carb, no sugar. For me this simply does not work. I eat what I want but in moderation.

The best info you can give yourself is to work out your TDEE and then your calorie deficit. Not everyone needs to be on 1200 a day or 1500 a day. If you are heavier you don’t need to cut so extreme as you will lose weight anyway because your TDEE will be higher. I think sometimes people go in too strong and restrict too much that it ends up being unsustainable. Find out exactly what you need to eat to lose as a start.

Stress Ball

I'm starting today after putting on 7lb since lockdown. I already had 2st to lose! I plan to tract my cals on my fitness pal and walk as much as I can. An hours walk a day then on the spot walking whilst watching tv. We can do it 💪

Boostar_

Hey guys, hope it's okay for me to join the thread. I'm currently trying to lose around 30lbs to get to my target weight. I'm 5'5" and I started at 245lbs (Size 22 top, 20 bottom) last October and have since got down to 177lbs (Size 16 top, 14 bottom) following a mix of IF, calorie counting and, most recently, intuitive eating. My weigh in day is Sunday.

My weight loss has been through a combination of diet, the right medication for a chronic condition, exercise (I started running) and therapy to work on my issues around food.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

swimming

VIP Member
Hope no one minds me joining in a sensible discussion for once (I'm only usually here for the piss taking 😂).

But I am due to start fertility treatment as soon as clinics open again from COVID, and I have to lose weight for it to work basically! I have been overweight for years but just got on with it, but now I need to do it for not just my health, but for the health of a possible baby. (plus, not being funny, but I dont want to waste thousands of pounds for something not to work because I need to lose weight!!)

I joined weight watchers in Feb and I have lost a tiny bit, but over Easter I sort of had one treat, which has turned into 2 weeks of "I'll start again tomorrow", and I really must get my head back in the game. Because it works! And theres nothing better than waking up each morning knowing that yesterday you stuck to plan.

So I will be back on it tomorrow. Thank you so much to whoever created this thread xx

Good luck to every single one of you xxx

• Heart

Kandy floss

Can’t believe I’ve lost 10lbs in the last 6 weeks just from walking and cutting my calories down a bit! 😊

• Heart

Tattlingpineapple

Chatty Member
For those who are interested. Appointment at the hairdresser went well. Only people with appointments were allowed inside (no walk ins, not even asking for an appointment. There was a sign at the door asking you to call if you need an appointment). Only one more client (I think usually there are like 4-5). When I came in, I had to disinfect my hands and then we went straight to the hairwashing area (usually they look at the hair first, talk about what to do...) He was wearing gloves while washing my hair. Haircut was the same. They are not allowed to trim eyebrows because they would get too close to clients' faces. It went pretty well and I am extremely happy with my haircut. Couldn't go by bike though because apparently I have lost my keys 😂😱. So when I came back from the haircut I carried my bike (luckily it wasn't locked against anything) to a bikeshop and they opened it for me (still have the receipt). So that was also kind of a workout today. It was pretty funny how many people looked at me. I could see how they were thinking "do we have to call the police?" but my new haircut makes me look like a nice teacher or something like this so I think it helped I did it after the haircut and not before when I looked looked unkempt. 👩🏼‍🏫

• Haha

F the dust.

VIP Member
I agree on the walking too. I had list 16lb before lockdown and have managed to stick to it and walking us definitely help me stay focused and it's a good weight loss tool and mood booster x

Reactions: 6

Meg1912

VIP Member
So glad this thread was made! We're all going through such a hard time, that the easiest thing to do is stress eat. Also, wearing stretchy comfies gives the illusion that hey ho, it still fits, so surely I didn't put on that much weight! 😅
I jumped on the dreaded scales and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but enough to make me want to make immediate changes as I was feeling crap about myself. Early March, before all this madness, I picked my dream wedding dress for my wedding in August. I'm so stressed these days, not having a clue if it'll be a tiny wedding, or with half of the guests we initially thought of inviting, or if we'll be able to get married at all! But at the end of the day, regardless of it happening or not, I still want to feel good in my skin and I'll fit in that dress end of August, even if just to wear it at home! 🤣🤣
So 3 weeks ago I made small changes, drink as much water as I can in a day, I swear this keeps me so full, including first thing in the am, no sweets at all, only fruit or jello, pasta is my drug, so I'm staying away from it. No white flour, only wholegrains. I make this bomb mug cake, which really satisfies my sweet tooth. Also, I stopped snacking between meals and try to have dinner as early as possible. Thanks to these changes, I've lost 3 pounds, which isn't that much, but definitely a start! I really can't think of working out atm, so just focusing on my diet.
We can do it, ladies! 💪

Reactions: 6