Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
Being a bit of a dinosaur, I can recommend the following selection of classic horror films. Modern audiences will probably sneer at the primative special effects and senarios, but they are worth watching.
An American werewolf in London
The Omen
Theatre of blood - Vincent Price - a little tonge in cheek this one.
Quatermass and the pit.
The Devil rides out.
I recommend some of the portmanteau films made by Amicus and Hammer.
From beyond the grave
Tales from the crypt. Ect.

Reactions: 9

Gamu

VIP Member
The Strangers is really scary. I watch a lot of horror but this one genuinely had a lasting effect on me.

I also like found footage - Blair Witch Project (but not the sequel, it’s unwatchable), unfriended, REC, The Borderlands.

DrLoomis

Did you watch the making of thing on BBC4 that was on prior to the film? The Fear Of God: Twenty-Five Years Of The Exorcist.

William 'Billy' Friedkin sounds like he was a nutcase. 🤣
That is a very good documentary. The DVD I have comes with a heavily edited version of it. It wasn't until I got the Blu Ray that I saw the entire programme. I do agree that Friedkin went a bit far. Firing guns to get a startled reaction, slapping the priest, nearly breaking Ellen Burstyn's back. I think I would pass working with him!

I have probably said this before, I saw The Exorcist done on stage about five/six years ago. It was phenomenal. They did it all, the head spin, the sick, the spider walk. I did regret afterwards taking my Dad with me... I don't think he enjoyed it as much as I did, he was white as a ghost by the time we got to the interval.

• Wow
  • Heart

JD-Morgan

The Strangers is really scary. I watch a lot of horror but this one genuinely had a lasting effect on me.

I also like found footage - Blair Witch Project (but not the sequel, it’s unwatchable), unfriended, REC, The Borderlands.
The Strangers is only scary as it’s based on true events. Fucked up!

Reactions: 8

hrh89

VIP Member
I was ready to reel off a big list but then I saw you don’t like supernatural stuff. That sort of stuff is actually my favourite but I’ve tried to list a few good non supernatural films you might like.

Halloween
Hush
Orphan
Kill List
Don’t Breathe
Eden Lake
The Strangers
Wolf Creek
The Descent
You’re Next

Reactions: 7

Enpen45

There’s a film on Netflix called The Visit. I went to see it in the cinema a few years ago and actually screamed out loud. I’ve watched it a few times since and it always scares me. It’s not so much a horror. More a psychological thriller but lots of jump scares and a good twist.
Another good film on Netflix is The invitation.

Realitybites

VIP Member
Has anyone seen Host? It’s a British horror set on a zoom call, came out during the pandemic. I watched it as it was less than an hour but really enjoyed it.

• Heart

monga

VIP Member
Just watched Last Night In Soho .I was pleasantly surprised, really enjoyed it , think it must be Diana Riggs last film and she didn’t disappoint.

Reactions: 6

troutpout69

VIP Member
I’m generally more into older horrors! I adore The Wicker Man, found that really disturbing! Also:
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining
The exorcist
Halloween
Eden Lake
American werewolf in London
Audrey Rose
Orphan
The Descent
Friday 13th
psycho
Scream
The lost Boys
The Creep Show

• Heart

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Last weekend I watched Annhiliation on Netflix. Not strictly horror but I enjoyed it very much, with echoes of The Mist (one of the best horror films made, according to me) and The Descent.
I always get The Mist and The Fog mixed up . The Fog is the seaside town with the radio station in the lighthouse, and The Mist is the one where they hide in the supermarket. It's the ending of The Mist where the true horror is.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
No poltergeist? That scared me to death when I was wee so did nightmare on elm street. Love the lost boys to .

Poltergeist 2 had one of the scariest characters ever, Reverend Henry Kane.

images.jpeg

The actor who played him was only 60 but was dying of stomach cancer when it was filmed.

• Sad
  • Heart

Gamu

VIP Member
The Strangers is only scary as it’s based on true events. Fucked up!
Horror based on true events is always so much scarier than paranormal stuff. I like films like The Conjuring but other than a few jumpy moments it doesn’t scare me that much.

“Hush” and “Them” are also similar to The Strangers. Hush isn’t as scary but Them is also pretty disturbing and shouldn’t be watched alone :oops:

Marzipan

I know exactly what you mean about endings. I enjoyed The Babadook (but ending slightly disappointed, if I remember correctly). Not technically a horror but Jacob's Ladder is one of my favourite of all time. 1408, based on the Stephen King story is great. Also Misery! I really enjoyed the BBC film Ghost Stories (Martin Freeman/Paul Whitehouse) - ending was good - won't say any more ;-).
And I like to freak myself out watching short horror films on Youtube just before bedtime....:oops: There are tons on there, but a recent "favourite" which has stayed with me and is really, really creepy is "Other Side of the Box".....

Reactions: 5

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
I liked the first maybe half hour of Barbarian (I had gone into it totally blind and so had no idea what it was actually about) but when the actual story kicked in I was SUPER disappointed. Even though everyone else seemed to love it, I thought it was ridiculous.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I watched The Exorcist:Believer last night.

I've watched all The Exorcist films including the prequels. I'm not sure why they made this. It's no where near as good as the previous ones. It's watchable in a possession type film way but it has some big plot gaps and they all seem to believe very quickly that a possession has taken place. Also, there's a lot of unnecessary stuff. Not worthy of being part of The Exorcist cannon in my opinion.

DrLoomis

There's also a new Exorcist sequel coming out. The Exorcist: Believer will be released in cinemas on October 13th. It is going to ignore all the other sequels and just be a direct follow up to the original. Ellen Burstyn is returning as Chris MacNeil and there are rumours going about online that Linda Blair will also be turning up. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

There is also Saw X coming out on October 27th and a new instalment of The Strangers coming in August. Insidious is also getting another instalment next month. Other upcoming films are The Nun 2, Five Nights at Freddy's and Salems Lot. So there's a few good ones coming up.