Horror films

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you have any recommendations for horror movies that are actually good? Recently watched Annabelle and Hereditary and they were both crappy and overrated imo.
Are there any films that have decent acting and satisfying endings?

Did you like The Babadook?
I find films from all genres rarely have satisfying endings .

Reactions: 3
I know exactly what you mean about endings. I enjoyed The Babadook (but ending slightly disappointed, if I remember correctly). Not technically a horror but Jacob's Ladder is one of my favourite of all time. 1408, based on the Stephen King story is great. Also Misery! I really enjoyed the BBC film Ghost Stories (Martin Freeman/Paul Whitehouse) - ending was good - won't say any more ;-).
And I like to freak myself out watching short horror films on Youtube just before bedtime....:oops: There are tons on there, but a recent "favourite" which has stayed with me and is really, really creepy is "Other Side of the Box".....

Reactions: 5
I love the Saw movies

Hate anything with ghosts / supernatural storylines

Also love the Scream movies!

Anything with boring old murder, none of this ghost/alien/werewolf crap!

Reactions: 4
I love the Saw movies

Hate anything with ghosts / supernatural storylines

Also love the Scream movies!

Anything with boring old murder, none of this ghost/alien/werewolf crap!
Yeah I hate supernatural tit! Unfortunately it seems that’s what most horror films are about in this day and age

I was ready to reel off a big list but then I saw you don’t like supernatural stuff. That sort of stuff is actually my favourite but I’ve tried to list a few good non supernatural films you might like.

Halloween
Hush
Orphan
Kill List
Don’t Breathe
Eden Lake
The Strangers
Wolf Creek
The Descent
You’re Next

Reactions: 7
The Strangers is really scary. I watch a lot of horror but this one genuinely had a lasting effect on me.

I also like found footage - Blair Witch Project (but not the sequel, it’s unwatchable), unfriended, REC, The Borderlands.

Reactions: 9
The Strangers is really scary. I watch a lot of horror but this one genuinely had a lasting effect on me.

I also like found footage - Blair Witch Project (but not the sequel, it’s unwatchable), unfriended, REC, The Borderlands.
The Strangers is only scary as it’s based on true events. Fucked up!

Reactions: 8
The Strangers is only scary as it’s based on true events. Fucked up!
Horror based on true events is always so much scarier than paranormal stuff. I like films like The Conjuring but other than a few jumpy moments it doesn’t scare me that much.

“Hush” and “Them” are also similar to The Strangers. Hush isn’t as scary but Them is also pretty disturbing and shouldn’t be watched alone :oops:

Reactions: 6
I liked Hereditary and Midsommar as they weren't typical horrors. Some others I like are:
The Descent
The Shining
Saw
Silence of the Lambs
Sixth Sense
The Witch

The film that scared me the most was candy man. Even now when I go the bathroom at night it reminds me of that film. :eek:

I like the shining and Halloween.

Reactions: 3
I liked Hereditary and Midsommar as they weren't typical horrors.
I actually thought Hereditary was good until the end. I know it’s a film but the whole cult thing seemed ridiculous to me and I felt let down lol. Is Midsommar the same kinda thing?

Reactions: 2
I actually thought Hereditary was good until the end. I know it’s a film but the whole cult thing seemed ridiculous to me and I felt let down lol. Is Midsommar the same kinda thing?
It's the same style as its by the same director but a stronger stomach is needed for it compared to Hereditary 🙈

Reactions: 1
I like watching those naff slasher films e.g. Friday the 13th, Happy Birthday to Me, Black Christmas, Silent Night Deadly Night, Child's Play, Wrong Turn, Valentine.
The Loved Ones
Starry Eyes - not usually too bothered about gore, but this made me feel a bit queasy in some parts and I suppose there is a supernatural element to it.
I thought The Love Witch was a good homage to 60s and 70s films.

There’s a film on Netflix called The Visit. I went to see it in the cinema a few years ago and actually screamed out loud. I’ve watched it a few times since and it always scares me. It’s not so much a horror. More a psychological thriller but lots of jump scares and a good twist.
Another good film on Netflix is The invitation.

Reactions: 7
There’s a film on Netflix called The Visit. I went to see it in the cinema a few years ago and actually screamed out loud. I’ve watched it a few times since and it always scares me. It’s not so much a horror. More a psychological thriller but lots of jump scares and a good twist.
Another good film on Netflix is The invitation.
Ooo I actually noticed The Visit on Netflix the other day but i thought it might be too scary 😂 but I love thrillers so I think I’ll give it a go thanks!

Ooo I actually noticed The Visit on Netflix the other day but i thought it might be too scary 😂 but I love thrillers so I think I’ll give it a go thanks!

I remembered it because we watched it again lastnight with our teenage kids. They loved it too. One of them said they’re never going to stay with grandma and grandad again 🤣🤣