Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jellybean093

VIP Member
Slightly off topic but any suggestions for a small keepsake type gift for a close relative's wedding? We are giving money as the actual present but I would like them to have a little something to keep and think they would too.
One of our evening guests bought us mugs with Mr *surname initial* and Mrs *surname initial* that was 3 years ago, and it’s one of my favourite mugs
Also, another friend who attended the whole day, got on a slate heart, the date of our first date, the date we got engaged and our wedding date which was so thoughtful
We did do the honeymoon poem, as we lived together for 4 years prior and at that point, had 3 children between us. We would always give money. I always leave things last minute, so normally stop at a cash point en route 😂

Reactions: 4

Lau123

My friend got married a couple of years ago and asked for money towards a honeymoon. It was a second marriage for both of them and they have 5 children between them and have already been living together for years so have everything they could possibly need. We gave them £50 which they were over the moon with.

Norfolking Good

VIP Member
I think £50 is probably enough as a gift, but as others have said I find it rather tacky to ask for cash at a wedding.
Guests usually have to travel, often get a hotel plus a new outfit so it’s not a cheap thing to attend anyway. I really object to being asked to pay for someone’s honeymoon, if you can’t afford it save up, don’t expect the guests to pay.
When we got married we explicitly stated the only gift we wanted was for you to be present (I avoided the cheesy poem) and most just gave a card but a few chose to give a gift, which was kind.

• Heart

Sardine

Chatty Member
When my sister requested money for her US honeymoon we gave her $100 (I know others gave her a lot more) Honestly just give what you can afford. Any money is extra money they don't have!

TaylorMomsen

Chatty Member
My general rule of thumb when going to weddings with my fiance is
£200 if it's one of my best friends
£100 for a good friend
£50 if it's just a general say hello to and have a dance with on a night out friend

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Just give what you can afford. I hate the pressure people feel to either give an expensive wedding present or to give more money than they usually would as a gift. If £10-20 is all you can afford then there’s nothing wrong with that, anyone who thinks that isn’t enough needs to give their head a wobble and realise it’s a gift and to be grateful. Personally I wouldn’t give more than £50 as a wedding present and even that is pushing it for me.

StrawberryCream

VIP Member
We attended a distant relatives wedding a few years ago where it was honeymoon money only and we gave them £30, I know that they got up to £500 from some people which I think is ridiculous

derbyshiregirl

This is a really tough one. We too asked our guests for money and that was only because of pressure from my husband, I too believe it’s a crass thing to do and I still wish we hadn’t done it.
It depends how much money you have invested in the wedding, have you planned the hen do? Had to buy your own dress/makeup? These are all things to take into consideration xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 3

avabella

VIP Member
Slightly off topic but any suggestions for a small keepsake type gift for a close relative's wedding? We are giving money as the actual present but I would like them to have a little something to keep and think they would too.

What about a wooden chopping board engraved with their married name?

justbeingnosy98

I’m in a similar position, bridesmaid next year and my friend has asked for money/vouchers toward their honeymoon (they are thinking 3 months in the US!).

I was thinking £100 plus a little gift but wasn’t sure if that was enough or not so I’m glad to see others think the same.

I am a bit mixed on the cash for wedding present front. Yes it’s a bit crass but a lot of most people getting married now already live together and have everything they need so presents aren’t really necessary. I think it’s nicer to ask for vouchers because then you know it’s gone towards the honeymoon and not just been spent on something random!

Peaches_xox

VIP Member
What is it with these people who expect you to fork out hundreds of pounds just to attend their wedding. Honestly some people want it all, the fancy wedding a hundred miles away from where anyone lives, a hen weekend abroad, honeymoon in the Maldives paid for by guests giving money etc. I couldn’t imagine asking guests to spend so much just to celebrate my wedding.
I know right! I’m not married but it I was to get married I wouldn’t expect anything from my guests and I’d like to keep the costs down. All that money for one day seems mad to me! I’m sure one of my cousins bridesmaids said she demanded they all had their nails done but didn’t pay for them 😅 honestly these people 🤣

• Heart

Sheabutter

VIP Member
Haha that is definitely her. She was the first friend I made when I moved to a new grade school, so I felt sentimental and obligated to attend. I also didn’t have the backbone yet to say “Thank you, but no thank you” on my RSVP card. I would 100% do that if she was getting married now!

Last edited:
  • Heart

Pat the Dog

VIP Member
I am going to be maid of honour for my best friend soon. They want honeymoon money as a present. How much do you think is appropriate? She is a bit snobby! Also my husband is attending too if that influences decisions.
Thanks in advance for any pointers, I am awful with stuff like this!
Where is the honeymoon? Cardiff, Cornwall, Corfu, Canada, Cayman Islands?

Reactions: 1

Sheabutter

VIP Member
An address embosser makes a nice gift

Reactions: 1