Honeymoon money as a present - how much would you give?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would rather people ask for money. It’s easier! What’s the point in buying stuff people don’t need or want?
I was in this position a couple of years back with my best friend. We gave them £200.
My friend didn’t expect a certain amount. They were thrilled and booked a day trip on their honeymoon with what we gave them, it was nice of them to send us pictures of what they did with the money.
That being said I could’ve given them a tenner and they’d be grateful.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
When my sister requested money for her US honeymoon we gave her $100 (I know others gave her a lot more) Honestly just give what you can afford. Any money is extra money they don't have!

Reactions: 4
It's rude to point out that you want 'money only'. It puts a lot on pressure who may not be able to afford to give a large amount as a gift.

When we got married we didn't mention anything about gifts or cash (I imagine most couples don't) We were living together before we got married and I would say we probably got about 80% cash/20% gifts, and the gifts were mostly from older people.

I have no problem with giving money as a gift (it's what I always do) but I think it's rude to ask for it.
It really isn't, most people will expect to buy a gift when they attend a wedding & would rather it be something useful/that the couple want. I also think these days people do stray from gift lists/requests & buy what they feel comfortable with. A friend of mine is getting married abroad, charging people £50 per head to attend the wedding breakfast on top of their travelling/accommodation expenses & asked for money in their invitation-now that is plain rude. This trip has cost us the best part of £1500 & I know for sure I won't be buying anything but a card!

• Wow
Reactions: 19
I’m in a similar position, bridesmaid next year and my friend has asked for money/vouchers toward their honeymoon (they are thinking 3 months in the US!).

I was thinking £100 plus a little gift but wasn’t sure if that was enough or not so I’m glad to see others think the same.

I am a bit mixed on the cash for wedding present front. Yes it’s a bit crass but a lot of most people getting married now already live together and have everything they need so presents aren’t really necessary. I think it’s nicer to ask for vouchers because then you know it’s gone towards the honeymoon and not just been spent on something random!

Reactions: 3
I think asking for money is fine. Give whatever you can and I’m sure she’ll be grateful.

I wish I was ballsy enough to ask for just money 😂 would save me acting thrilled with random bits and bobs and I don’t need. Of course I’m grateful but when it’s something you really don’t need and you’re not sure what to do with, I’d rather have people save their money and get a card or just well wishes I think

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’ve asked for money as I have everything for a house that I could possibly need and I hate mismatch items. My wedding has cost under £2,500 for around 30 guests - we could have gone for a higher budget but thought what’s the point. All paid in full no borrowing money etc. If people have a problem with giving money just give us a card better than some tat we wouldn’t use :)
I was exactly like that - we’ve lived together for years - got everything we need . we had a honeymoon poem that asked if people would like to get us something , then something towards a honeymoon meal or a honeymoon event would be appreciated

regarding the MOH giving cash , we asked for nothing from the wedding party as they contributed other ways during the wedding journey but our best man and MOH kindly got us the wedding night accommodation

Reactions: 6
I got a wedding invitation with a gift register recently and I actually thought that was tacky. They’ve already purchased two new houses since they’ve been together so I doubt it’s really things they need. I like to gift experiences so I’d be tempted to get them a voucher for dinner at a local pub rather than cash.

Reactions: 9
Giving money is fine unless the bride and groom split up on the wedding night and then don’t refund the money gifted..

True story!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Money is a standard thing to give with irish events. Id give £50 max.
A large sum is expected at Irish weddings isn't it? My brother's wife is Irish and I've been to a few weddings over there and from what I've seen it looks like €150-€200 is the sort of standard amount.

Reactions: 5
I normally give £30, maybe £40/50 if it’s both my and my partner going. They can’t complain! I’m not made of money and going to peoples weddings normally costs a fortune what with outfits/ staying over night/ taxis etc 🙈

It would depend on how much I could honestly afford. I have friends who are WAY richer then me (eg one just spent 5k on her wedding dress) and I used to previously give expensive gifts because I felt like I had to keep up with them. Honestly it's only now after 6 years of knowing them that I know I don't have to be over the top. It's always the thought that counts.

I sent one printed photographs from her insta feed - she still loved it and it was total less than £5.
Another I sent a large bag of M&Ms and magic stars. £3.25
Third: flowers and chocolate buttons. Flowers were actually free because I had referral credit which I used and the chocolate was around £4.
Fourth: a single box of her fave chocolate .

Give what you can afford. It doesn't matter if it's even £10 and ignore what's expected of you.

• Heart
Am I the only weirdo? I didn't mention gifts AT ALL on my invitations but told my inlaws and family to spread the word that no gifts were necessary, we just wanted people there.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I'd rather have no honeymoon than ask people for money towards one.
It's no different to a gofundme beg.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I got a wedding invitation with a gift register recently and I actually thought that was tacky. They’ve already purchased two new houses since they’ve been together so I doubt it’s really things they need.
I agree! Of all the weddings I’ve been to recently, only one had a registry. The items on there were extortionate.. all plain white pasta bowls and bedding from the white company. I thought if they were buying it for themselves they’d go to IKEA like the rest of us.. to me that’s more annoying that £50 in an envelope and a nice card!

Reactions: 9
I went to a family members wedding in May I gave £50 and I also took a card with money inside from my mum. She never got a thank you and I regret giving £50 now.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I went to a family members wedding in May I gave £50 and I also took a card with money inside from my mum. She never got a thank you and I regret giving £50 now.
That is sad. Similar happened to me at my brother's wedding. I did the brides makeup and gifted them money for their honeymoon, I didn't get a thank you for either and regardless of it being family I definitely regret gifting what I did, there's just no excuse for it.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
When I was maid of honour I booked them a night away in a nice little spa hotel for a few months after the wedding after finding a good deal online! I spent less than my original idea of bunging £150 into a card and they were thrilled that after the build up of the wedding / honeymoon died down they still had something extra to look forward to! .. at least that’s what they told me anyway 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Weddings really do bring out the worst in people, I had a friend tell me explicitly that she expected to see money in our card at her wedding “because I gave you money when you got engaged” (she did a collection at work, and in reality contributed £10 to it). I gave her the exact sum I had received and have not spoken to her since.

Me and my husband eloped, and every time I hear any sort of wedding story I feel more and more smug about it.

In actual answer to your question though - I reckon £50 max, but only if you genuinely want to and know it will be gratefully received.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 10