Holly Gabrielle #6 Not Allowed to Eat Upstairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If it is a subject I struggle with, I would consider buying it, but she states in the FAQ “Both printing and copying and pasting are not enabled.” ??
I buy notes but I’m not even allowed to print it out to color code and annotate it? I can’t study by just reading from a computer screen, and that’s not efficient, she should know that too. And not everyone has a tablet.
Didn't she handwrite most of her notes because she said she struggled with studying from a screen? And she's taking that convenience away from people who are paying her? If I pay for something I want full access and the ability to do whatever I want with it, given that I own it.

Reactions: 10
I’m sure there’s a way to work around ‘not printing’ it. You could literally take a screenshot of them on your computer and put them onto another document to then print off later… not that I would condone that. Just a thought 😂😂

I’m sure the people who actually go and but hollys notes are more than computer savvy enough to figure out a way to print off some notes done by an 18-23 year old 😂

Reactions: 8
In reply to some of the messages comparing Holly to other study tubers, I would say that Holly and Ruby are very much on the same level. They live in a total bubble, seem to have no major professional goals, and are a real disappointment compared to what they could have been. I'd say next you have Jade. I get where whe is going, she seems to be trying to make the most of life and has a real social life. I feel after her uni she may be in some weird mlm or obnoxious start-up saying that it is so great and over-selling herself but I feel she is at least striving and thriving. At the top (of those I've been following for about 5 years now) I'd say you have Jack. His youtube is the only one that has gone way beyond study-tube and I really like his book videos. He is doing decent stuff and seems to have a reasonable job.

Over all, I feel like I looked up to all of them 5 years ago because I liked their study-tips. Now 3 of them are unrelateable or unlikeable. I know Holly has said that she wants to move away from study content but in that case she will have to find herself a life. I dont understand how you can fill day after day with smoothie bowls, a run, exercise, dog-patting and some biology notes. I do way more activities without proclaiming to be super efficient. They do youtube, but what about clubs, volunteering, art.... But no, we have videos of nothingness.

Reactions: 11
I'd agree Jack seems to be doing really well, but Eve Cornwell is probably doing the best out of all the graduate studytubers. Probably because her field of study is so geared towards the professional world. Holly should take a leaf out of Eve's book in terms of content, life direction and self-discovery.

Reactions: 6
It seems so wrong for Holly to sell notes from her uni lectures when guaranteed almost none of it is her own original work

Reactions: 18
It seems so wrong for Holly to sell notes from her uni lectures when guaranteed almost none of it is her own original work
Also find it interesting that her notes contain no references so it's impossible for people to carry out further reading on the subjects

Reactions: 11
Yeah, this! I mean, just imagine being a tutor/lecturer at Cambridge University. You are one of the best scholars in your chosen field, and you've put a lot of time and energy into crafting the perfect lecture/tutorial on your subject. You made sure to come up with a structure that's easy to follow, helpful diagrams, and interesting examples to ensure that your students get the most out of your lecture. You're glad to spend your time this way, because you're teaching bright young students and you want to equip them with the knowledge they'll need when pursuing a PhD and/or a career in the field later on. You're happy to see your students eagerly taking notes during your presentation.

... except turns out one of your students actually has no intentions of staying in the field, preferring instead to sell the notes she took during your lecture online at an extortionate price*. I.e. trying to profit off of your work by ripping off impressionable younger students. I mean it's just a big yikes, in my opinion.

*I haven't actually looked at the thing yet so idk how much they cost, but knowing Holly I'm sure it'll be an extortionate price. Cf. her completely overpriced tutoring sessions.

Edit: Also the way she openly pries on young students' anxieties to market this "product" is pretty off-putting - "one single click could save your exams" like seriously?!

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 21
I didnt think Holly would turn out to be so disgusting and money hungry

• Angry
Reactions: 12
If it is a subject I struggle with, I would consider buying it, but she states in the FAQ “Both printing and copying and pasting are not enabled.” ??
I buy notes but I’m not even allowed to print it out to color code and annotate it? I can’t study by just reading from a computer screen, and that’s not efficient, she should know that too. And not everyone has a tablet.
What Holly’s doing seems a bit ableist. Some people can’t read from screens easily, some people might need to copy text into some kind of assistive software and so on. Quite apart from potential copyright issues surely it pays to make anything you’re selling as accessible as possible.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Was waiting for Holly to say how fast/well she did in her park run. Honestly feels like for her it was more of a competitive thing than a fun, getting to know people running thing.

in my head I literally bed my entire savings on her saying ‘howfast’ or ‘how well’ she did. Low and behold she was the first female. Big whoop.

Reactions: 9
if ur mission really was to "help anyone learn" why not release them for free girl??

besides isnt the point of writing study notes to learn the content better urself.... really don't understand the point of buying someone else's notes...

why bother limiting the download once??? people can like, duplicate files you know.....

not sure how ethical it is to essentially resell other people's work, especially if you haven't even referenced them? isn't science supposed to be free and accessible? you're not the one doing the research into all these scientific concepts, and people who do actually do the science deserved to be recognised through citations and references. Even normal textbooks cite their sources.

if anyone could get their hands on a copy I could tell if any had been copied from university lecture notes or to what extent....

so many things wrong with this....

• Heart
Reactions: 20
In my uni, lecture materials and syllabi and whatnot are all copyrighted...
What she's doing is at least unethical and at most illegal.

Honestly she disgusts me on a whole new level. Someone should reach out to her old uni department to inform them ehm

All of these study tubers are so full of themselves while doing absolutely nothing all day long except showing what they eat and proclaiming to be the change of the industry. I watched Holly way back when and the fact she has ended up exactly where she was when I used to watch her, e g her desk in her parents' house is so sad. Especially since her whole content and personna is seemingly based on success.

Yes and apart from everything else that has been said already, 10 pounds for 17 pages seems expensive, to put it mildly. Like I feel sorry for any young student naive enough to spend 10 pounds on this when they could just make their own notes. Or get notes from a friend. Or get a text book from the library for free. Or look at one of the bazillion FREE online resources for biology students.

And she doesn't even provide a preview of the product, just a blurred out picture of a page of notes where you can't even read the notes. Cause god beware people getting a good look at it before buying to decide if those notes would actually be useful to them... Can't have that, clearly. Much better to pressure people into buying an unseen product by imply8ng they need to do so to save their grades!

(Also is it just me or does the v chipper title "An Undergraduate's Guide to Cancer" sound weird to anyone else? Maybe I'm just not used to seeing the word cancer in a context like this)

Does Holly have any friends that she hangs out with that is not other influencers or her sister

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Just watched her vlog about the park run she did and man it's so clear what she likes about running - like when she was talking about the run itself and meeting the people there, we get a not-too-enthusiastic oneliner in the voiceover about how it was "so nice" and "such a diverse group".

But then when she talks about her results later, after receiving an email with her stats, that's when her eyes really light up and we get a long video segment of Holly talking about how she was the "first female out of 41", placed "11th overall", the time she did it in, further running statistics... Like clearly that's the part she cares deeply about. (Kinda reminiscent of the Cambridge days when it always seemed to me like she was mildly interested in biology and research but Very Interested in ranking first in her exams)

So when Holly said that "that's the nice thing about running with other people, is that it spurs you on" and she was able to run faster because of that I was like yep this tracks. More interested in outperforming others than in social interaction or, heaven forbid, finding new friends who share her interests. And I just find that really sad.

Edit: Also, in that new What I Eat in a Day, she's really saying exactly the same thing she was already saying back in 2017, about how she's such an active, energetic person but 'doesn't need to rely on caffeine like some people do' cause her super nutritious vegan diet is giving her all the energy she needs.:rolleyes:

Also the irony of Holly telling me that "you really don’t know how good you can feel when you properly nourish your body!". Like uhm. I do know this, but do you, Holly?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
I think it's her anorexic mindset, she's obsessed with numbers. and she's added running to that, on top of food and possibly calorie counting.

(Also is it just me or does the v chipper title "An Undergraduate's Guide to Cancer" sound weird to anyone else? Maybe I'm just not used to seeing the word cancer in a context like this)
tbh it kinda sounds like a self help book for undergraduate students with cancer

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.