Holly Gabrielle #5 Still lives like a nun, doesn't allow herself any fun

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Of all the problems in the world... dirty or discoloured socks is not up there on my radar ngl šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Iā€™m one of the people who cares about socks but honestly dust on lights etc are off my radar, Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m strange

• Wow
Reactions: 1
She was so annoying in her sister q&a vidā€¦ even Emily looked annoyed

Reactions: 2
i just watched her new video because occasionally her vlogs entertain me not gonna lie, but i lost it when she talked about her lost ruler and bruised toe nail?? why tell your whole audience.. reminds me of when i was younger and i thought i had to share sny information with everyone ever

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I donā€™t watch Holly often but did watch the London marathon vidā€¦ I was disgusted that she even started the race tbh; and moaning all the way around that her Achilles hurt - yes thatā€™s because youā€™re injured and should not be running! Very frustrating to watch.

It's all the rage in the crafting community, I follow a lot of sewists and crafty people and they have all done an ad recently. I guess random studytubers are now being offered them.
I thought I could add context to this recent wave of Cricut advertising a little more as I have a Cricut myself!

Cricuts are a cutting machine that have been around since the early 00s; you used to get ones that took cartridges. Itā€™s now a computer based software program that you use to design anything you want to cut out of vinyl, leather, sticker paper, felt, whatever. In the last few years the quality of the software and support for it has been shocking, so much so that many people who were solid Cricut fans have sold their machines and swapped over to the (superior) Cameo Silhouette machines. The complaints about Cricut from existing users are valid - the design software is an arse to use, the machine often decides at random that it wonā€™t perform the cut as youā€™ve asked it to (even if it cuts perfectly on one piece of paper 20 seconds before hand), the machine is very slow and loud compared to its competitors and itā€™s expensive too. And rather than addressing the complaints, the company is pushing money into new accessories and products to entice new customers in, resulting in a loss of their previously loyal fanbase. Which is why a lot of YouTubers - seemingly random ones - are getting sent it as PR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I always find something really strange about 23/24 year olds that make a point of doing something for adults. You are an adult, you are pretty much mid 20s and outside the YouTube bubble most people that age are working a full time job, paying bills and maybe even having kids/getting married. Thereā€™s something so creepy and weird about the way a lot of this generation infantilise themselves.
I'm not a fan of Holly and her ilk at all, but I just wanted to point out that her generation (I'm almost a decade older) are infantilised by society. I mean, my generation too. We're reaching ages that used to be marked by certain milestones that are no longer realistic for us- 'most people that age' is a massive overgeneralisation. We're in more debt and finding it harder to access the types of career and property ownership etc that our parents could choose from at the same age they did, which is why so many people in their 20's and early 30's are finding it so hard to adjust. The life we were told awaited us as 'adults' is a lie.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
When Holly said in her "2021 goals" video "I do have my days where I want more independence, but overall I've gotten a lot better" and that she's now "embraced living at home" and "feels good" with it.. Like does she even realize she has it backwards?? Surely at 23 the goal should be to gain independence, not get over having some days where you want more independence!

Also Holly explaining that she's the 'hot-headed one' in the family who needs to work on controlling herself better/being nicer to her family or whatever, while she described her dad as being "more chill".... meanwhile in almost every video we see her dad making mean, bitingly sarcastic comments at her while Holly sorta laughs it off.. Her perceptions are warped man. Toxic family is toxic.

At least she's said she would be open to maybe seeing a therapist at some point because she believes she could benefit from that. So hooray?

Reactions: 26
When Holly said in her "2021 goals" video "I do have my days where I want more independence, but overall I've gotten a lot better" and that she's now "embraced living at home" and "feels good" with it.. Like does she even realize she has it backwards?? Surely at 23 the goal should be to gain independence, not get over having some days where you want more independence!
I think that's just her coping mechanism, rationalizing things. I remember when I first moved away, each time I came back home for a couple of days it would serve as a reminder of all the reasons I left in the first place. But if I stayed for longer - a whole summer for example, I'd start to slide back and normalize that lifestyle and my learned helplessness would come creeping in.

Toxic family have a way of sucking the life out of you with any prolonged contact, even if you just skype them on the regular, and it always starts feeling normal after a while because that's just what you're used to and humans are hard wired to find comfort in the familiar even if it harms us.
What she needs is physical distance (move out), mental distance (no calling or talking to them often or writing letters lol hello Ruby), exposure to young people her own age leading independent lives (like she had in Australia), friends with normal families so she can be exposed to what a healthy family dynamic looks like, and therapy on top of that.

Also Holly explaining that she's the 'hot-headed one' in the family who needs to work on controlling herself better/being nicer to her family or whatever, while she described her dad as being "more chill".... meanwhile in almost every video we see her dad making mean, bitingly sarcastic comments at her while Holly sorta laughs it off.. Her perceptions are warped man. Toxic family is toxic.
Thatā€™s just sad - it sounds like such a gas-lighting thing that sheā€™s been told as a way of minimising her (understandable) reaction to the criticism/belittling that she gets from her family.

Reactions: 14

At least she's said she would be open to maybe seeing a therapist at some point because she believes she could benefit from that. So hooray?
Her dad is one seriously weird bleep. The video recently when they were in the car where he was really berating her and she was desperately trying to pass it off as some sort of father daughter banter was so uncomfortable.

• Sad
Reactions: 23
Her dad is one seriously weird bleep. The video recently when they were in the car where he was really berating her and she was desperately trying to pass it off as some sort of father daughter banter was so uncomfortable.
which video was this?

Oh my god I'm just watching that segment and he's bleeping brutal. I'm not saying I disagree with him but to speak like that to your daughter who has obviously been through some tough tit mentally and physically (and still is) is pretty awful.

Video for those interested: at around 18:00 mins

which video was this?

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Oh my god I'm just watching that segment and he's bleeping brutal. I'm not saying I disagree with him but to speak like that to your daughter who has obviously been through some tough tit mentally and physically (and still is) is pretty awful.

Like I'm all for a bit of family banter, but it's clear by the look on her face throughout the segment that she's uncomfortable and doesn't feel good about the way her Dad is responding. Still a bit weird to include that clip and then upload it esp. if she found it uncomfortable but maybe it's just because that's all she knows.

• Sad
Reactions: 16

That was so uncomfortable, I don't know why Holly put that in. It felt like I was stuck in a car withbthem while his father was clearly annoyed with her and she wasn't getting the memo. The entire family feels horrid, I don't know why Holly still insists on exposing herself to this dynamic when she can obviously afford to live alone.

Reactions: 20
Sometimes I question whether hollys videos are a cry for help? Something which she subconsciously puts out on the internet in order for people to realise she needs some extra support but canā€™t get it herself.

I think mentally sheā€™s still a scared child and because of that she has no clue where to start when it comes to actually getting herself any help. Her living at home means her parents would have to know what sheā€™s up to (they would probably have to drive her places despite Holly having her license). Not sure what she wants the viewers of her videos to do about it thoughā€¦. She barely listens to any advice anyway and hollys way is always the right way :/

• Sad
I havenā€™t watched enough of her videos (I just couldnā€™t do it to myself) but I did see the one where her dad comments about her doing too many morning routine videos and I admit I agreed with him. It must be so annoying to have your adult daughter living at home with you, filming inane crap, making you take her places and I imagine there is a lot of frustration in their house. As I said, I donā€™t know enough as I canā€™t bring myself to watch more of her shouting and workouts and making out doing normal everyday things that we all do (on top of our jobs and families) is ā€œhighly productiveā€. I think I may be rangry!

Reactions: 6
For her own health and also the sake of saving a relationship with her family she needs to move out.

Reactions: 10
I havenā€™t watched enough of her videos (I just couldnā€™t do it to myself) but I did see the one where her dad comments about her doing too many morning routine videos and I admit I agreed with him. It must be so annoying to have your adult daughter living at home with you, filming inane crap, making you take her places and I imagine there is a lot of frustration in their house. As I said, I donā€™t know enough as I canā€™t bring myself to watch more of her shouting and workouts and making out doing normal everyday things that we all do (on top of our jobs and families) is ā€œhighly productiveā€. I think I may be rangry!
I kind-of agree. Her dad was an arse to her in that video and thereā€™s obviously a very unhealthy dynamic in that household. But, as a parent itā€™s probably frustrating when you get the the point when youā€™d be expecting to ā€˜get your life backā€™ a bit and none of your kids are achieving any kind of independence. But ā€¦ rather than ranting at your kids I think you need to take a long look at yourself and your parenting. Three kids, two who have/have had eating disorders and all in their twenties but showing few signs of independence? That hasnā€™t all come out of nowhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I think that's just her coping mechanism, rationalizing things. I remember when I first moved away, each time I came back home for a couple of days it would serve as a reminder of all the reasons I left in the first place. But if I stayed for longer - a whole summer for example, I'd start to slide back and normalize that lifestyle and my learned helplessness would come creeping in.

Toxic family have a way of sucking the life out of you with any prolonged contact, even if you just skype them on the regular, and it always starts feeling normal after a while because that's just what you're used to and humans are hard wired to find comfort in the familiar even if it harms us.
What she needs is physical distance (move out), mental distance (no calling or talking to them often or writing letters lol hello Ruby), exposure to young people her own age leading independent lives (like she had in Australia), friends with normal families so she can be exposed to what a healthy family dynamic looks like, and therapy on top of that.
Coming from a toxic family this really hit home.I really hope holly does get out and become independent and healthy.

Reactions: 8
I kind-of agree. Her dad was an arse to her in that video and thereā€™s obviously a very unhealthy dynamic in that household. But, as a parent itā€™s probably frustrating when you get the the point when youā€™d be expecting to ā€˜get your life backā€™ a bit and none of your kids are achieving any kind of independence. But ā€¦ rather than ranting at your kids I think you need to take a long look at yourself and your parenting. Three kids, two who have/have had eating disorders and all in their twenties but showing few signs of independence? That hasnā€™t all come out of nowhere.
They literally remodeled her childhood bedroom while she was away in Australia as a surprise gift to her. I very much doubt her independence was ever a part of their plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.