Holly Gabrielle #3 Spends hours in class and eats only grass

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always felt that her MA course choice was more based in trying to do the research into justifying her lifestyle choices than a genuine interest - the only thing she’s really talked about with any enthusiasm was the lifestyle factors aspect of the course, and not much else, and she’s said often that she doesn’t like labs. I knew someone who took a Masters in Counselling Psychology and from what they said, it seemed like practically everyone was taking the course as a way of exploring their own issues rather than because they had a genuine interest in doing that as a career. Holly’s indecision over her course felt similar.
Oh nope, nope, nope. Let's please don't go down the "psychology students are in it for their own undisolved mental problems" route. Whoever follows a (scientific) psychology program through to a master's degree needs more motivation than their own cookooness! (Although nutritional degrees might be more open to "personal" interests, since the entry requirements are often lower.)

Reactions: 9
Oh nope, nope, nope. Let's please don't go down the "psychology students are in it for their own undisolved mental problems" route. Whoever follows a (scientific) psychology program through to a master's degree needs more motivation than their own cookooness! (Although nutritional degrees might be more open to "personal" interests, since the entry requirements are often lower.)
I get that not everyone does this (of course) but all of the therapists/ psychologists I have seen have told me this! (possibly very unprofessional I guess..)

Reactions: 3
Fair enough - I can only speak from what I was told (and noting this wasn’t a ‘scientific’ course, it was an MA).

Reactions: 1
I get that not everyone does this (of course) but all of the therapists/ psychologists I have seen have told me this! (possibly very unprofessional I guess..)
I have been studying psychology for six years now, at a fairly large university, doing a lot of networking and internships and the times were people told me they are in it to solve there own problems is zero. Maybe a handful had experience with receiving professional support and where encouraged to help others by this experience and another handful reported that somebody close to them suffers from a mental disorder and that's how they got interested in the field, but to actually qualify for this job (at least were I'm from) and to commit to this career you have to have your tit sorted.

Edit: Sorry, but I'm very passionate about this. Psychology is actually "tough science" and psychotherapy requires a lot of hard work and qualification. So, as long as we are not talking very dodgy programs with no qualifications required, I will defend it against any comparisons to nutrition degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I have been studying psychology for six years now, at a fairly large university, doing a lot of networking and internships and the times were people told me they are in it to solve there own problems is zero. Maybe a handful had experience with receiving professional support and where encouraged to help others by this experience and another handful reported that somebody close to them suffers from a mental disorder and that's how they got interested in the field, but to actually qualify for this job and to commit to this career you have to have your tit sorted.
oh no I totally agree, but I think to an extent that is a way of "getting your tit sorted" obviously if you have major psycological issues you are unlikely to be able to help anyone else, but i think for a lot of people this is how they start resolving them. I know this was the case for my ex

Reactions: 2
I have been studying psychology for six years now, at a fairly large university, doing a lot of networking and internships and the times were people told me they are in it to solve there own problems is zero. Maybe a handful had experience with receiving professional support and where encouraged to help others by this experience and another handful reported that somebody close to them suffers from a mental disorder and that's how they got interested in the field, but to actually qualify for this job and to commit to this career you have to have your tit sorted.
My uni had quite a big psychology department, and I think it came as a bit of a shock to a lot of people how ’scientific’ their course was going to be - I remember the grumbles from people who suddenly realised they were going to have to do a fair bit of maths and learn how to use R (is that still a thing?) I do think that people don’t really understand what psychology is as a science and that, especially at undergrad level, it can attract people who think they’re going to be able to fix themselves. And this specifically was a counselling course, not clinical psychology.

oh no I totally agree, but I think to an extent that is a way of "getting your tit sorted" obviously if you have major psycological issues you are unlikely to be able to help anyone else, but i think for a lot of people this is how they start resolving them. I know this was the case for my ex
Sorry for the OT-discussion, but it is the "for a lot of people" that I vehemently disagree with. Of course, if you've met someone there must be some and as I said, I've met some people as well. But not "a lot" of people who start a psychology degree are doing it to sorting themselves out.

Reactions: 1
I really wonder what her next step will be. If she's aiming for a PhD, most of them will be interviewing now or over the next few months.
i think she'll try and go for one whether or not she gets in or is actually the right choice for her, beyond me...the academy is such a toxic place i don't know how she'll fare in that environment.

Sorry for the OT-discussion, but it is the "for a lot of people" that I vehemently disagree with. Of course, if you've met someone there must be some and as I said, I've met some people as well. But not "a lot" of people who start a psychology degree are doing it to sorting themselves out.
okay sorry badly worded, for some people, def don't think it is a majority! sorry if it came off like that.

I agree about people being shocked how scientific it is though, I know so many people from my first year of uni who did psychology and ended up dropping out/changing to totally different courses as they had no maths background etc and found it way too hard

Reactions: 4
i think she'll try and go for one whether or not she gets in or is actually the right choice for her, beyond me...the academy is such a toxic place i don't know how she'll fare in that environment.
I don't think she'd fare well in a PhD at all, but I have no doubt she's applying for them. I just wonder if she'll mention applying at all.

Reactions: 7
I don't think she'd fare well in a PhD at all, but I have no doubt she's applying for them. I just wonder if she'll mention applying at all.
i doubt she'll talk about it unless she gets in...that's kinda what she did with UCL. it would be a good move content-wise to talk about it...something besides productivity vlogzzz

i doubt she'll talk about it unless she gets in...that's kinda what she did with UCL. it would be a good move content-wise to talk about it...something besides productivity vlogzzz
But then more productivity videos would follow if she decided to go back to uni again 😳 really think Holly needs a break from academia again- it’s clearly not great for her well-being. It makes her so harsh on herself. Gives her no time to be who she actually is, or address any of her emotions.

Reactions: 6
I'm super interested now as to the story behind the tutor who quit as well as generally how she organizes her tutoring company. I personally would not want to work for a company founded by an influencer which has their name in the company name (which sounds like crap) 😂 I wonder what the tutors' cut from the price is and what Holly's is as well as what it generally is like working wit her
I don’t know the person who quit too well so don’t want to put words into their mouth or jeopardise any friendship they may have with Holly, but I saw on their LinkedIn that they were working at Hollygemia, then they took it off and I messaged them asking how tutoring was going, and they just said they didn’t work there anymore and had got a different job (I think not to do with tutoring). They didn’t say anything bad about Holly or the business and I didn’t want to push it further, but I think they were only there for a few months before quitting so it seemed odd. I wonder if the high prices and total anonymity of the tutors meant they weren’t getting any clients?

I don’t know the person who quit too well so don’t want to put words into their mouth or jeopardise any friendship they may have with Holly, but I saw on their LinkedIn that they were working at Hollygemia, then they took it off and I messaged them asking how tutoring was going, and they just said they didn’t work there anymore and had got a different job (I think not to do with tutoring). They didn’t say anything bad about Holly or the business and I didn’t want to push it further, but I think they were only there for a few months before quitting so it seemed odd. I wonder if the high prices and total anonymity of the tutors meant they weren’t getting any clients?
Ooo my mistake , they’re now working for my tutor! I think that says a lot lol

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I am sorry but... I do not believe she was advised to go by anyone in the NHS.... weekends in hospitals are insane anyway even before COVID, no one who works in one would advise you to go unless you are SEVERELY ill. I think she just googled it/asked a friend who isn't an expert. No way this was advised by an expert. This makes me really angry.
tbf her hands were swollen .she could have been having a blood clot

Reactions: 4
tbf her hands were swollen .she could have been having a blood clot
Exactly! Also, some people genuinely don't know when a situation is an emergency or not, some people are wasting the NHS' time but I sincerely doubt Holly would (on purpose). And since we can't assume exactly what the situation was that brought her to A&E, she could very well have been advised by her GP or 111 to present there in the first place. I don't actually think the problem is that she went, it was that she posted it on IG, disappeared for a day and worried her young followers.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Ooo my mistake , they’re now working for my tutor! I think that says a lot lol
I work for MyTutor and they cut a lot of the fees you get down (though it is still decent pay if you're a high band, experienced tutor) so I'm surprised they would have switched if the money in Hollygemia was better.

I work for MyTutor and they cut a lot of the fees you get down (though it is still decent pay if you're a high band, experienced tutor) so I'm surprised they would have switched if the money in Hollygemia was better.
Well maybe the pay is lower on MyTutor but the chances of actually getting clients is higher, so you do end up with more money overall and I bet the support system/logistics are better (not just Holly if you have problems and her mum for your paycheck).

Wouldn't want to make assumptions about Holly's cut though.

Reactions: 5
A&E explanation: she hit her knuckle on a lamp post and that seemed to have caused her one finger to turn blue / yellow (looked very extreme imo). She called 111 and they told her to go A&E. Holly came back and said she felt it was pointless, because they told her to go to her GP and get some tests done (that's what A&E does, right? They just make sure it's nothing life threatening and then refer you to your GP for the follow up)
She also thinks she has Raynaud but was never diagnosed but a nurse over the phone told her it probably is Raynaud.

I didn't watch more of the video, so sorry if I missed anything

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.