Holidays 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any recommendations of things to do in Edinburgh? Or food places? Going in summer. Things that don’t include much walking as one of the people I’m going with can’t walk far
The hop on hop off bus tour in Edinburgh is good and takes you around the main attractions while giving a great outlook of the city.

Reactions: 4
i loved the edinburgh castle, i think i spent 4+ hours in there 🙂 if you want to have a nice view but without the hike, go for calton hill rather than arthur's seat! i always remember a restaurant we went to called bella italia right by the royal mile. their starters were incredible. one thing i would not recommend though is the real mary king's close - i was very disappointed! i'm very jealous i adore edinburgh 🥺

Reactions: 1
one thing i would not recommend though is the real mary king's close - i was very disappointed!
How funny, that's the one thing I always recommend, I found it fascinating but didn't really have any expectations as knew nothing beforehand.

All being well I should be flying to San Fransisco in 4 weeks 🤞🤞 Got lucky with a bargain business class upgrade this week

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The hop on hop off bus tour in Edinburgh is good and takes you around the main attractions while giving a great outlook of the city.
I did the hop on hop off bus tour in Edinburgh (me and my boyfriend love them haha!) and I really recommend it. Definitely a brilliant way to see the city

Recommend doing the Castle, and just by the castle is Camera Obscura which is great fun. Go up either Calton Hill for great views or if you can handle it then Arthur’s Seat! xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
How funny, that's the one thing I always recommend, I found it fascinating but didn't really have any expectations as knew nothing beforehand.
i had read so many good reviews beforehand so i think my expectations were too high, but i also think we ended up with a tour guide who wasn't in the mood for work that day 😅 our whole group was disappointed!
either way, that's the only thing i wouldn't recommend. absolutely everything else in edinburgh i loved 🥰

Lots of walking tours around Edinburgh; Greyfriars Kirk, the Harry Potter tour (if that’s your thing), Mary King’s Close, the underground vaults.
The Edinburgh Dungeons
Hop on Hop off bus tour
Edinburgh Castle which takes up a good few hours (the view from the top is worth it alone).
Princes Street for shopping
Princes Street Gardens
Camera Obscura and World of Illusions - we took our young children here for the first time before Christmas and they loved it. Very interactive and fun.
Maison De Moggy (cat café)

Lots of places to eat around Edinburgh, but since you’re going in summer (and hopefully the weather is favourable) I will recommend Mary’s Milk Bar on Grassmarket for amazing gelato.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you everyone!
I’ve sent my friend a few suggestions before reading here that I read for food - I’d already sent the Mary’s Milkbar 😄. Our hotel is opposite the castle so I’m sure we’ll go there especially since it’s been recommended so much. Also asked her about going to see the lion king at the playhouse hopefully she will want to. Sent her the surgeons museum as I think she’d enjoy that. I’ve done a hop on hop off bus tour in London which was good so I’ll ask about doing that 😄

I loved the Surgeons' Hall Museum. I also did a bus tour.

I was hoping to go back to Scotland this year. Will be Dublin instead as plans have changed. Ah well!
How long would you say you need at the surgeons museum?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Does anyone have any recommendations for Jamaica? I literally know nothing about it so not sure the best parts/hotels/excursions/flights - anything you think may be helpful I would be extremely appreciative!

Anyone got any insight into Puerto Rico Gran Canaria? I'm thinking of it for a 5 night break in Oct but have never been before.

I love Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote for a relaxed vibe and am hoping for something similar?

(Flight times not working for PDC so thats why i'm looking at PR)

Anyone got any insight into Puerto Rico Gran Canaria? I'm thinking of it for a 5 night break in Oct but have never been before.

I love Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote for a relaxed vibe and am hoping for something similar?

The only Canary Island I've visited is Tenerife and I know you haven't mentioned it so apologies if you aren't interested at all - the Costa Adeje area is lovely on Tenerife and nice and chill if you are looking for a relaxed vibe.

Reactions: 3

I have been to both islands but not those towns, I would say from my experience the canaries are all quite similar (Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Tenerife, Fuerteventura)

I‘ve stayed in Maspalomas but have spent quite few days in Puerto Rico and loved it! It‘s very touristy (especially British!) so not sure if it’s quite as relaxing. The area of the town is quite narrow which means the beach isn‘t huge but if you have a rental there are plenty others nearby as well as more secluded and quiet beaches
They‘ve quite recently opened a Mall there which is nice for a bit of shopping and they also added lots of restaurants and some fountains which do a light
show at night.

Let me know if you‘re curious about anything else x @Mooordgirl

• Heart
Both Puerto Rico and Puerto del carmen have lovely beaches.
The steps in Puerto Rico down to the main bars/ restaurants from our apartment were a bit of a killer especially in the heat, with heavy water bottles, or at the end of the night.
We preferred the layout of puerto del carmen with all the bars, restaurants, shops etc along the front facing the beach/ sea. We also found Puerto Rico to be a bit quieter than puerto del carmen although haven’t been for a while so there may be new developments that have made it more lively

Both Puerto Rico and Puerto del carmen have lovely beaches.
The steps in Puerto Rico down to the main bars/ restaurants from our apartment were a bit of a killer especially in the heat, with heavy water bottles, or at the end of the night.
We preferred the layout of puerto del carmen with all the bars, restaurants, shops etc along the front facing the beach/ sea. We also found Puerto Rico to be a bit quieter than puerto del carmen although haven’t been for a while so there may be new developments that have made it more lively
Yeah the height is what i'm not loving about it! Happy enough for it to be quiet.

Thanks @SleepyDibillo @101d @Welshgal @mcfeez 🥰

I've booked for Puerto Pollenca in June. Anyone been to Majorca in early June, what's the weather like?

I've booked for Puerto Pollenca in June. Anyone been to Majorca in early June, what's the weather like?
it's gonna be nice and sunny, probably late 20s to early 30s temperature wise. Pollenca is v beautiful, there's a lovely market on Weds and Saturdays 😎

I went to Majorca start of June before spent all the time at the pool/beach so was hot enough. I think I needed a jacket for the night time on occasion

I stayed in Puerto Rico a few years ago and enjoyed it. It's a good spot to relax but if you're into nightlife it might not be the liveliest place on GC, there's a bit more going on at Maspalomas.

We found a nice restaurant in the shopping centre called Pinocchios which we ate in 3 times on our holiday, they were brill at catering for my father in law's coeliac requirements.

We went to the waterpark, Maspalomas beach and did some driving around the interior of the island which was lovely.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.