Holidays 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone been to Cuba? We've booked to go in January and I can't wait!

Stopping in Varadero but definitely want to do a trip to Havana.
Oh yes in my early 20's (in 1996), I traveled alone but was at a family and didn't really have the tourist experience... Stayed mostly in Havana but spent a day in Playas del Este, also visited Cienfuegos while staying a few days in Cumanayagua in the countryside at one of my pen pal's family home and he also took me to beautiful Trinidad one day:love:
I love Cuba and really felt like at home, but my parents are spaniard so I speak the language and a lot of culture is quite similar, and I already had Cubans in my personal and professional background.

Varadero resort was purely created for tourism but the beach is impressive apparently. The country is beautiful and Cubans are lovely, easy-going and educated people.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Yep! I absolutely loved it BUT you have to go knowing what to expect, which I did. We visited Havana and Cayo Coco. Varadero is the most 'westernised' resort and most similar to other resorts you might find in the Caribbean. The beaches are out of this world.

Cuba is an extremely poor country and a 5 star hotel there is not the same as a 5 star elsewhere. They often have food and fuel shortages which can sometimes affect the hotels. Havana is a city like no other, it's like being back in another time. Beautiful buildings that are completely dilapidated next to plush hotels in the centre and old cars everywhere. It's full of music and food and life. It's an incredible place. I'd advise you go with a guide to avoid any tourist scams.

The people are so friendly and want to learn about other places in the world as many have never left the country. It's a beautiful country and so worth exploring on tours if you like that sort of thing.

So I'd say as long as you know things will be a bit rough around the edges and things might not work quite the same, you'll love it. People tend to be disappointed when they go expecting it to be like Mexico or Dom Rep.

I'd go back in a heartbeat. If you have any questions, give me a shout.
The shortages began after the USSR dismantling obviously.
There was rationing and food shortage in the cities, even if you had the money to buy in the black market. I remember once accompanying my friend/lodger to the Havana farmers market and there was little meat because we went late. Food is generally simple and enough, but not much variety.

Same for the fuel, sometimes local buses were just canceled so you had to find solutions, as Cubans do. Once, as I didn't find any car ("illegal" taxis) available, I had to walk back from "Old Havana' to "Miramar", where I stayed, I just checked it's 7 km. I was young and fit lol but it rained and I still remember the blisters😅
When my lodgers' husband walked me to the bus station to go to Cienfuegos (227 km from Havana), it was an evening (dark), all buses were cancelled eventually but he found me a car going to Cienfuegos bus station with the driver and 3 other Cubans paying like me. Road was good and they stopped once at a local stall which looked like a beach "chiringuito" but I stayed in the car. Then I waited and slept at the Cienfuegos bus station until the morning bus to Cumanayagua. I wouldn't have done it where I live tbf (the car thing) but (unfortunatly like most dictatures) it's very safe. And people are friendly and speak easily with other people (like in Spain, especially in the countryside so I was at ease), with humour, not miserable at all despite the difficulties.

Anyway, sorry for all this blahblah 😅 but yes, Cuba absolutely worths the visit !
And staying in the tourism circuit, it should be perfectly alright.

• Heart
The shortages began after the USSR dismantling obviously.
There was rationing and food shortage in the cities, even if you had the money to buy in the black market. I remember once accompanying my friend/lodger to the Havana farmers market and there was little meat because we went late. Food is generally simple and enough, but not much variety.

Same for the fuel, sometimes local buses were just canceled so you had to find solutions, as Cubans do. Once, as I didn't find any car ("illegal" taxis) available, I had to walk back from "Old Havana' to "Miramar", where I stayed, I just checked it's 7 km. I was young and fit lol but it rained and I still remember the blisters😅
When my lodgers' husband walked me to the bus station to go to Cienfuegos (227 km from Havana), it was an evening (dark), all buses were cancelled eventually but he found me a car going to Cienfuegos bus station with the driver and 3 other Cubans paying like me. Road was good and they stopped once at a local stall which looked like a beach "chiringuito" but I stayed in the car. Then I waited and slept at the Cienfuegos bus station until the morning bus to Cumanayagua. I wouldn't have done it where I live tbf (the car thing) but (unfortunatly like most dictatures) it's very safe. And people are friendly and speak easily with other people (like in Spain, especially in the countryside so I was at ease), with humour, not miserable at all despite the difficulties.

Anyway, sorry for all this blahblah 😅 but yes, Cuba absolutely worths the visit !
And staying in the tourism circuit, it should be perfectly alright.
Love hearing stuff like this! Cuba is a special place for sure.

• Heart
Love hearing stuff like this! Cuba is a special place for sure.
We went to Cuba with family in 2014 ( son 15 and daughter 17) we stayed in Varadero and unfortunately only visited Havana for the day ( barman at our hotel had a cousin with a taxi who showed us around!)
Wished we'd stayed a few more days in Havana as it's a truly beautiful city with wonderful architecture and music! ....everywhere we went in Havana there was music
The people were so welcoming , definitely a memorable holiday ...maybe avoid August however - never been somewhere so hot and humid!

I REALLY want to go to Havana. It would be a stretch for us. Is there a ‘more’ affordable way to book a holiday like this? (I know it’s not cheap whatever you do but clever ways to get a good deal). Two adults x

• Heart
For anyone planning on gong to Cuba, be aware that it will make travelling to the USA more difficult if you plan to go in the future, as anyone who has travelled to Cuba since a certain date (not 100% what date) now needs to apply for a visa, rather than an esta x

• Wow
Reactions: 5
For anyone planning on gong to Cuba, be aware that it will make travelling to the USA more difficult if you plan to go in the future, as anyone who has travelled to Cuba since a certain date (not 100% what date) now needs to apply for a visa, rather than an esta x
Ah yes, good point! bleeping Trump.

Here's an article about it:

Although now reading more about it, it's as clear as mud what the rules are. Seems many have been fine with ESTA's, others not. Seems even the US embassy doesn't really know!

Last edited:
I think it is (or was) just for USA citizens (or so I heard), certainly not Europeans (at least not EU citizens at all) and probably not even Canadians as Cuba has been one of their favourites holidays destination for decades now.

Ah yes, good point! bleeping Trump.

Here's an article about it:

Although now reading more about it, it's as clear as mud what the rules are. Seems many have been fine with ESTA's, others not. Seems even the US embassy doesn't really know!
Oh I read the article. I didn't know, it's quite recent. Probably a way to grab more money....

I think it is (or was) just for USA citizens (or so I heard), certainly not Europeans (at least not EU citizens at all) and probably not even Canadians as Cuba has been one of their favourites holidays destination for decades now.
Nope, applies to everyone annoyingly! Although looks like as long as you visited before January 12 2021 you don't need a Visa, just an ESTA. After that date, you need a Visa. So basically you have to pay more and have an interview at the US embassy. Hopefully it gets lifted soon and this won't be necessary for much longer.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Nope it’s for everyone (US Citizens wouldn’t need a visa or esta anyway)
Yes, you’re right. It wasn't like that before.
I had to do ESTA once to go to Colombia as we had to change airplane in Miami and I had no problem, nor everyone I know.

How is the situation with London airports now? Is it still so bad? I want to visit London for a weekend in December and I can choose between Luton or Stansted, I usually preferred Luton as I find it more manageable. Do you still need much longer to pass the security?

How is the situation with London airports now? Is it still so bad? I want to visit London for a weekend in December and I can choose between Luton or Stansted, I usually preferred Luton as I find it more manageable. Do you still need much longer to pass the security?
I flew to and from Stansted two weeks ago and had no problems at all, got through security and passport control within minutes but
Obviously it depends on timings, my flight from was at 6am and I landed back in Stansted at 10pm

Can’t help you regarding the airport situation but if you’re an EU citizen remember that you now need a passport to enter the UK. Seems like lots of people aren’t aware and are being turned down at the airport

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can’t help you regarding the airport situation but if you’re an EU citizen remember that you now need a passport to enter the UK. Seems like lots of people aren’t aware and are being turned down at the airport
Didn't people always need passports? What were they travelling with before?

Within the EU an ID is all that’s needed for travel.
Also in non EU but Schengen countries like Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein.
And other countries which have agreements, like Albania, Turkey...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.