Holidays 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd recommend only bringing hand luggage for the trains. There isn't much room for big cases on the train and they often won't be close to you whereas small bags can go up above your seat.
Oh jees i'll find that tough but will bear it in mind! (The liquids bag rule is the bit i struggle with!)

Im gonna mention it to my friend at the weekend and hopefully get planning!

Reactions: 1
Anyone have any advice?
We had flights booked for the end of October with RyanAir. Logged in to their website for check in and it said the flights had been cancelled. Followed their website instructions to either refund or change the flights free of charge. So we changed the flights and it made us pay £320 so we paid thinking it won’t get charged or we’d get it back. But now they are saying because we didn’t receive an email to say they were cancelled the charges apply, even though when logged into the website it said they got cancelled and we could change them for free.
Speaking from my past experience in the travel industry free of charge usually means no admin fees are charged but you are still liable to pay any price difference

Reactions: 3
Oh jees i'll find that tough but will bear it in mind! (The liquids bag rule is the bit i struggle with!)

Im gonna mention it to my friend at the weekend and hopefully get planning!
Same here! I absolutely hate the liquids rule but I found that some airlines will now offer to check in a bag up to 12kg instead of carrying it on. So you could do that for the flight and don‘t worry about the liquids but then don‘t have to worry about the space on the train.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I went earlier this year as part of a cruise.

Things to do? Absolutely nothing 🤣

It is tiny. Expensive. And if the weather isn't great it is thoroughly depressing.

I have been to Jersey and that is also expensive and miserable when grey, but has a lot more going on.
Oh really? That's disappointing! I've been to Jersey and loved it.

This week went to Petra by night and then the next day went to Petra in the day time. Amazing, even better than I thought it would be on pics

Reactions: 4
Same here! I absolutely hate the liquids rule but I found that some airlines will now offer to check in a bag up to 12kg instead of carrying it on. So you could do that for the flight and don‘t worry about the liquids but then don‘t have to worry about the space on the train.
This is good advice and it's what we did for our Italy trip. Checked in one hand luggage size case.

Reactions: 3
Oh really? That's disappointing! I've been to Jersey and loved it.
I honestly hated pretty much every second. I know that sounds quite ungrateful but it was drizzling and just so miserable. And there is absolutely nothing to do.

Speaking from my past experience in the travel industry free of charge usually means no admin fees are charged but you are still liable to pay any price difference
It was definitely meant to be free of any charge. As they cancelled the flights we booked so weee moving onto another flight instead!? Also they confirmed it would have been moved free of charge if we had waited for an email to confirmed they were cancelled. We did not wait for this email as obviously did not know we had to and just followed their instructions on their website which said they needed to be changed due to a cancellation

I'm looking to go away for a few night with my partner over Christmas (just the 2 of us in our mid 30s) we live in Spain so looking to travel to somewhere else in Europe. Has anyone been anywhere for Christmas Day that they would reccomend? I know most places close down but we are just looking for somewhere with some pubs and restaurants open.

I'm looking to go away for a few night with my partner over Christmas (just the 2 of us in our mid 30s) we live in Spain so looking to travel to somewhere else in Europe. Has anyone been anywhere for Christmas Day that they would reccomend? I know most places close down but we are just looking for somewhere with some pubs and restaurants open.
Any ski resort. All open, lively, pubs and bars and restaurants all open etc plus hopefully nice and snowy and festive 👍

• Heart
I'm thinking of choosing Athens as my holiday destination for 2023. I've only ever been to the Greek island's, never mainland Greece. I do love abit of history and culture so just wondering if a week is too long in a city like Athens?

I'm thinking of choosing Athens as my holiday destination for 2023. I've only ever been to the Greek island's, never mainland Greece. I do love abit of history and culture so just wondering if a week is too long in a city like Athens?
Yes, definitely unless you plan on basing yourself there but exploring elsewhere. A weekend is enough for Athens. There's just not a lot there and can be down in a weekend. There's plenty of far better places to pick on the mainland such as Halkidiki, Peleponese and Parga.

Hello, me again.

keep changing my mind about where I want to go - that’s the problem with never really travelling anywhere?

me and my partner are now thinking of going to Paris at some point in the first half of 2023.

I’ve heard that CDG airport isn’t great but not sure whether it’s better to get the Eurostar or fly from Gatwick? Any advice please?

Hello, me again.

keep changing my mind about where I want to go - that’s the problem with never really travelling anywhere?

me and my partner are now thinking of going to Paris at some point in the first half of 2023.

I’ve heard that CDG airport isn’t great but not sure whether it’s better to get the Eurostar or fly from Gatwick? Any advice please?
I absolutely hate CDG and only heard good things about the Eurostar plus you’ll be immediately in the city and won’t have to bothered with taking a train from the airport and back (in fairness I thought that process was very easy but still).

Hello, me again.

I flew into orly in march and have no complaints! I flew into CDG about 5 years ago but can’t really remember what it was like

I absolutely hate CDG and only heard good things about the Eurostar plus you’ll be immediately in the city and won’t have to bothered with taking a train from the airport and back (in fairness I thought that process was very easy but still).
I flew into orly in march and have no complaints! I flew into CDG about 5 years ago but can’t really remember what it was like
Ah thank you both. I know Paris is not too far away - but it’s somewhere I’ve always to go. Had opportunities to go with school/college but didn’t go because I kind of wanted to go on my own terms/itinerary. I just want to try and make the most of it and plan ahead as much as I can so I know what to expect ❤

Hello, me again.

Paris isn’t really all that great. Go in the spring when it’s warmer, plan what you want to and prebook attractions etc and pre book places to eat.

Hello, me again.

I have done both, flown in and took the eurostar. I preferred the Eurostar personally and would probably opt for that unless flying is dramatically cheaper. Eurostar is great and so comfy and didn’t feel long at all

Paris isn’t really all that great. Go in the spring when it’s warmer, plan what you want to and prebook attractions etc and pre book places to eat.
I’ve been to Paris 3 times, I went end of February this year and actually loved it possibly more than I did when I’ve been in July time. I agree about pre booking things and depending on where you want to eat then look at that too

Hello, me again.

It's not the best period to come to Paris in plain winter. No matter the airport, if you are in London, Eurostar is so much better ! It's nice, fast and you arrive in Paris city (without a rather expensive transfer from the airport). OK Gare du Nord is not the fancier place lol but you are one station from the heart of Paris and the public transports network is great.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.