Holidays 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My favourite area to stay in Rome for tourist activities is around Navona/Campo de Fiori. Super central. I would highly recommend a visit to Trastevere, amazing neighbourhood with a very cool vibe. Make sure to research where you eat in Rome. The food is amazing but there are a lot of tourist traps which are just no good. Eat local! The italians are all about eating regionally i.e. pizza is from Naples, steak in Florence etc. In Rome try carbonara, cacio e pepe and suppli.
A good way to avoid tourist traps is to look out for two main things
- is the menu in English (other non-Italian languages) and has big, tacky pictures?
- is the restaurant open after 3 but before 7ish?
If yes, than they‘re probably not authentic (could still be good ofc not all tourist traps are horrible just not authentic)

Reactions: 2
In France, but not only, if the menu outside the restaurant has too much choice, like 10/15 starters, same for the main course... you know it's not homemade.

Reactions: 5
Lovely to see people getting to go on holidays again!
I have a question about changing a tui holiday if anyone can help.
I need to change the booking for another holiday but I want to choose a 4 day city break rather than the week long holiday that I booked.
I know you have to pay a fee to change your holiday/dates, but does anyone know if you have to change to the same amount of days iyswim?
Hope that makes sense🤔

Off to Bordeaux soon for four nights. Any tips, advice where to go, eat etc? Going with my daughter and we’re staying in an apartment.

Should have said three nights, not that it makes much difference!

Last edited:
A good way to avoid tourist traps is to look out for two main things
- is the menu in English (other non-Italian languages) and has big, tacky pictures?
- is the restaurant open after 3 but before 7ish?
If yes, than they‘re probably not authentic (could still be good ofc not all tourist traps are horrible just not authentic)
Oh god, pictures of food is such an immediate "no". Totally correct about not all tourist traps being bad! Just I think many of them give the impression of being good because they are busy when in reality they just have a prime location and lots of footfall. Reviews often tell a different story.

Reactions: 1
Oh god, pictures of food is such an immediate "no". Totally correct about not all tourist traps being bad! Just I think many of them give the impression of being good because they are busy when in reality they just have a prime location and lots of footfall. Reviews often tell a different story.
I think the main problem with tourists traps isn't that the food is bad / worse quality but that they're usually overpriced ☹

Has anyone been to New York during December? I’ve been to New York but not during the Christmas period just wondered if there’s anything to look out for ☺

• Heart
Has anyone been to New York during December? I’ve been to New York but not during the Christmas period just wondered if there’s anything to look out for ☺
Yes! Me and my friend did a girls weekend just before lockdown. We'd all been recently so just did 'Christmas'. Rockefeller Centre tree/ skating, Central Park skating and Bryant Park Christmas Market plus just walking round soaking up the amazing trees and decorations. We didn't queue to see him but went to see Macy's Santa from miracle on 34th St set up. And the Rockettes Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall 😊

Yes! We went boxing day for a week did the usual sights but the best for me was a free guided walking tour over in Dyker Heights to see all the houses with the Christmas decorations 🥰 loved that!

NYC in December is magical! We got engaged there in 2017, it was the best holiday ever. The Rockettes Christmas Show is fab, and just the decorations and lights are so special.

Yes been three times in December, love it! The Rockefeller tree is so magical but can get very very busy in the evening. I nearly had a panic attack at one point trying to get through the crowds as felt trapped in. You need to watch the saks light show that is next to it!
And ice skating at Central Park is just amazing, especially if they have Xmas songs playing 😍
Also give the market at Bryant park a visit, and there’s also one up near Central Park and one at union square (I assume, there used to be)

Thanks for all of your replies regarding New York! I’m pleased to hear it’s as good as I’m imagining 😁
Has there been snow when you’ve been and if so what’s it like walking around, like is it very slippery?

Thanks for all of your replies regarding New York! I’m pleased to hear it’s as good as I’m imagining 😁
Has there been snow when you’ve been and if so what’s it like walking around, like is it very slippery?
To be honest two out of the three times has felt pretty mild, no where near as cold as I was expecting and no snow. One day was 16 degrees! But the last time I went it felt freezing. Don’t know if I’ve been lucky but December has always been pretty much lots of blue skies for me!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I went in very late November and there was snow on the first day that we landed!

Other than that the weather was lovely until our last day when I was -12! There was lots of ice and it was very slippy!

• Wow
I went at Christmas 2008 and it was BEYOND freezing … people were wearing balaclavas in the street it was that cold ! I’ve been twice since then and it has been beautiful weather - blue skies and just a light jacket needed. It’s really the luck of the draw.
it’s utterly magical at Christmas.

Well I’ve got everything crossed for mild weather and blue skies 😂

To be honest two out of the three times has felt pretty mild, no where near as cold as I was expecting and no snow. One day was 16 degrees! But the last time I went it felt freezing. Don’t know if I’ve been lucky but December has always been pretty much lots of blue skies for me!
Wonderful photos 🤩🤩

We went at the start of Dec and it was pretty mild, blue skies. We had rain one evening but no snow, it did get pretty cold in the evenings though from memory!

I went at Christmas 2008 and it was BEYOND freezing … people were wearing balaclavas in the street it was that cold ! I’ve been twice since then and it has been beautiful weather - blue skies and just a light jacket needed. It’s really the luck of the draw.
it’s utterly magical at Christmas.
The wind chill is especially bad in NY and makes everything colder - those streets lined by the tall buildings creates a tunnel. I found it really cold when we visited though that was January. Depending on the temp I'd recommend thermals.

Yes when we went I packed for artic weather's and badly regretted it as it was soooo mild 🤣 although on our day at the statue of liberty I've never felt cold wind like it when we where on the ferry, oh my days its was horrendous 🥶 and that was January 1st

ETA- We also had 1 day of torrential rain I think was around new years!

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.