Hen Do Horror Stories!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My sister is Co planning my mums hen do along with mums best friend.
Hardly anyone is going which is so disappointing as my mum is the loveliest person in the world and would do anything for anyone. I'm so glad I'm not helping with the planning, it sounds like a massive headache. I didn't have a hen do as I have no friends and my family all live hours away, don't regret it at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
The one I’m going to, the MOH said if you commit then change your mind, you still have to pay as it’s not fair on everyone else to pay the difference
This I fully agree with! I really resent paying more because someone else cant organise themselves or changed their mind. Don’t commit if you can’t commit it’s not fair on other people

The final payment for a hen I’m going to is due next week and someone has said “I can’t afford it because I’ve had 3 birthdays this month” like fine but what do you expect the poor maid of honour to do; the date of the last payment has been clear since last year and presumably these birthdays have always existed 🙄

Reactions: 11
Love this thread! Honestly think hen do’s bring out the worst in people. I’ve got 2 coming up this year and so many people have complained constantly about prices to the extent where some people are refusing to go (approx £250 for one weekend and it’s over 6m away to save up!) I seem to be one of the only few excited about them

my worst experience was a friend who moved to another part of the UK few years back so it was 2 groups of friend and abroad. Got told off multiple time’s on night 1 by hotel staff for having a drink / being a bit loud (they obv didn’t realise it was a hen when we booked).

The 2nd night we were getting ready to go out and the hotel manager hammered the door down; marched a few of us to reception. Turned out some girls from the other group had somehow dropped a bottle off their balcony which had smashed by the poolside and a kid had cut themselves on it ! The manager then charged the 3 credit/debit cards on file 300 euros EACH. Of course the 3 people who’d given in their card details were from our group.

we all chipped in to pay them back but surprisingly the other group of girls didn’t contribute anything. It really spoiled the weekend. There was such a divide after that and you can imagine how stuck in the middle the hen felt!

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Oh wow this thread is an eye-opener! 😂 my MOH is currently in the early stages of planning mine, we had talked about a trip abroad somewhere but I’m not so sure now! Don’t want to cause her too much stress.

I went on a hen do just before lockdown and 3 people dropped out at the last minute, meaning we had to pick up their costs. I didn’t mind personally, but I know some of the other girls were pissed. The bride and groom unfortunately had to postpone their wedding due to Covid, but now she’s demanding we throw her another hen weekend before the new date!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
One hen I went to, I was a friends plus one as they needed to make up numbers cost wise as a few people had dropped out. My friend didn't want to go really so I said I'd go for moral support (loved a night out & I did feel sorry for her that so many people dropped out), had to buy a personalised top which the hen charged me £25 for (found out they were much cheaper but whatever I'd agreed to go). I'd paid for my taxi & club entry in advanced like they asked, so we arrive at a restaurant, I think that's fine I'll just have a light dinner & a few cocktails thinking I'm just paying for me so I get a starter as a main & one cocktail so hardly spent anything, no one frigging told me til the bill came round we were dividing it so the bride didn't have to pay (fair enough I guess but advanced warning would have been nice) so that set me back a few quid then at the club I just spent a fortune on rounds of drinks for everyone & on those stupid keyrings everyone got because a few people made comments on why I was there & that'd they'd paid so much more than I had & they'd put money behind the bar (fair enough) some bloke tried to hit on me even tho I was uncomfortable but the girls were pushing him into me even more, bouncer got involved, I got one of the girls wee on my shoes & feet, our taxi on the way home someone had vommed in prior & itd been badly cleaned to a point where someone else vommed so we all had to split the bill for cleaning because even though I was sober enough at this point to know who vommed no one believed me so to avoid agg I just split it. Haha such a crap night that it sounds made up, but trust me, I lived it.

Hens in my experience are over priced & over hyped, no one I know actually enjoyed them & there's always a moan after. Like every hen I've been to something crap has happened. When I was planning mine everyone was getting the hump with what I wanted to do, so I just said no to a hen. So many of my friends have had drama as well waiting for money or people dropping out, we have also had the opposite with people going to the extreme to a point where we were all skinting ourselves to pander to the bride.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I'm old enough that hen parties are mostly in the past but the best one I went to was when the bride hired the function room of the local football supporters club and had a female-only party for everyone from both families and all her friends. Disco, buffet and pay bar. It was brilliant fun and loads of jokes from the DJ and staff as the football club manager was her brother.

Reactions: 8
Not to sound ungrateful but mine was crap.
I don’t drink. My friends drove me to the nearest town, they had no real
Plans when we got there. Then decided it was best to go to a bar. They got very drunk by about 3pm. They then decided they wanted to go to karaoke. We went, they got drunker.
I asked could we pleaseee get some dinner, one coped a massive strop. I ended up driving us home, stopping at the McDonald’s drive thru on the way home. Where I ended up Paying for the order for them all. Was home and watching tv on the sofa by 8pm.

These were always the friends who got so drunk at my wedding one of them decided to have a melt down and go round telling everyone had dad had just died ( he hadn’t, he’s still alive and well. but my mum has died recently before) and the other got caught having sex in full view in a boat ( we got married at a sailing club)

Needless to say I havnt spoke to them much lately.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Not to sound ungrateful but mine was crap.
I don’t drink. My friends drove me to the nearest town, they had no real
Plans when we got there. Then decided it was best to go to a bar. They got very drunk by about 3pm. They then decided they wanted to go to karaoke. We went, they got drunker.
I asked could we pleaseee get some dinner, one coped a massive strop. I ended up driving us home, stopping at the McDonald’s drive thru on the way home. Where I ended up Paying for the order for them all. Was home and watching tv on the sofa by 8pm.

These were always the friends who got so drunk at my wedding one of them decided to have a melt down and go round telling everyone had dad had just died ( he hadn’t, he’s still alive and well. but my mum has died recently before) and the other got caught having sex in full view in a boat ( we got married at a sailing club)

Needless to say I havnt spoke to them much lately.
Definitely should've just left them in town with no lift, they sound super ungrateful.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
These stories are terrifying! I am getting married abroad next year, and have no interest whatsoever in having a hen do either here beforehand, or whilst we're away. My friends have already made some grumblings about this, but I have told them, when they get married, they can do what they want then ;)

The fact of the matter is, I'm selfish, and would rather spend my hard earned money on stuff I want/for me, than nights out or weekends away with usually a bunch of random people that I wouldn't otherwise choose to see. Same reason why we're having a tiny wedding abroad!

Reactions: 17
I went to my friends 'home' hen do about 3 weeks before lockdown. Her Mum and Sister had organised it. She told me that she asked them to keep it quite low key, she just wanted a nice afternoon tea style event that she could actually enjoy and spend time with her friends and family. Instead they got us a VIP table in a club, which we all had to pay for at the door. We couldn't chat to each other over the music and the bride left at 10.30 in floods of tears because her sister had called her an ungrateful spoiled witch 😳

I also went to one in Marbella, it was unbelievably expensive and I had my handbag stolen... it was a cross body bag and they literally snipped the straps whilst we were in a queue and ran off with all my money, phone and passport. Luckily they dumped my passport and it was handed into a local police station! I had to hide on the balcony to cry on the phone to my bf because I didn't want to spoil the weekend for the bride!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I planned my best friend of 20+ years’ hen party for her and about 9 others and it resulted in me being demoted from Made of Honour to a ‘guest’ which I declined and I’ve never spoketo her again since.

basically the long weekend in a beach-side loft apartment with day shopping and eating, chocolate making workshop & dinner at an Italian restaurant I’d planned and booked around her ‘friends’ who had no money was not appreciated and she literally asked me ‘is this all there is?’ as we stood on the beach in the blazing sunshine with a drink in hand.

edit; just to say Bride doesn’t drink and didn’t want a boozy/party hen do so I did my best!

I was so gobsmacked and to add insult to injury she let her ‘friends’ (basically work colleagues and sister in law so maybe that says a lot) walk all over me and tell me how much better they could have planned it. Bearing in mind i spent 6 months planning hers and rounding up money (which I put in a LOT more than them) and she said ‘sorry I don’t see how you could have spent so long planning this’.

it sent me into a bit of an anxiety spiral and for about a year afterwards I had major issues with my self esteem and not feeling good enough, I’ll never forgive her for it.
I can’t believe how ungrateful people are 😦 xxx
Please plan mine 😂😂😂 x x im not engaged yet either ha ha ☺ What you did was lovely and time consuming!

Reactions: 3
I went to my friends 'home' hen do about 3 weeks before lockdown. Her Mum and Sister had organised it. She told me that she asked them to keep it quite low key, she just wanted a nice afternoon tea style event that she could actually enjoy and spend time with her friends and family. Instead they got us a VIP table in a club, which we all had to pay for at the door. We couldn't chat to each other over the music and the bride left at 10.30 in floods of tears because her sister had called her an ungrateful spoiled witch 😳

I also went to one in Marbella, it was unbelievably expensive and I had my handbag stolen... it was a cross body bag and they literally snipped the straps whilst we were in a queue and ran off with all my money, phone and passport. Luckily they dumped my passport and it was handed into a local police station! I had to hide on the balcony to cry on the phone to my bf because I didn't want to spoil the weekend for the bride!
That‘s horrendous. A low-key do is what I had, a colleague cooked a meal for myself and a few workmates, very kindly! We had a few silly hats and toys. I was 40 so that probably made it much more appealing than going out.

Reactions: 6
My best friend of 7 years met a bloke in a club, was moved in to his flat and engaged and pregnant with in a few months. I only ever met him a few times, i didn't like him and he didn't like me..
Anyway, I was 30 weeks pregnant at the time of planning her hen do and she expected me to plan, book and pay for the whole thing, then collect the money from the guests. She wanted to see male strippers, meals out, masterclasses the lot. The planned date was 3 weeks after I was due to give birth. She booked the date knowing I would have only just had a baby. I tried to make contact with her other bridesmaids but they completely ignored any attempt I made to contact them. The other bridesmaids took over without me knowing, the bride deleted and blocked me on fb and I haven't seen or spoken to her since, 10 years later.
When it came to my wedding I had a small ceremony with just close family and a meal before the wedding as my "hen do" and it was perfect 👌

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I’ve planned around 4 now - two of which are happening next year.
It’s honestly draining. The first one I planned I was far too nice and kept trying to please everyone. I knew the bride really wanted to do a cocktail making class so I booked one that was reasonably priced and basically had two people threaten to drop out (leaving everyone in the tit money wise) because they worked in a bar. In the end I had to tell them the hen do is for the bride. Now I take deposits upfront, and stagger payments so no one is left out of pocket.
By far the worst experience was as MOH- there was a group of us and one of the girls accepted a drink from a stranger (Her second drink of the night). It was spiked. I had to literally carry her up the stairs to get outside. She managed to trip me before projectile vomiting in the street. I decided to call her sister and take her to hospital to get check out. Once i got to the hospital I was carrying her through the hallway for her to collapse, taking me down with her, and I couldn’t get her to wake up. It was the scariest thing ever. A and E nurse took one look, said she was drunk and sent her home so I went home early too. Woke up covered in bruises 😬

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I think I have the best one 😵😵
I was invited (last minute) to a hen do in Spain by someone at work - we were close - ish but work mates mainly. I said yes because at the time I was single, wasn’t going on a girls trip that year and basically had nothing to lose!
When we got there it was a big group of her home and uni friends plus a random guy who she explained was one of her childhood family friends but he had chosen to go on her hen do rather than her fiancée stag.
It’s three nights long - we get to the last night and things are EXTREMELY boozy. We went to a cocktail making class in the day followed by a bar, boozy dinner and night out. All fine, get back at 4am and I go straight to bed (we are staying in a villa)
I wake up early to INTENSE screaming, honestly I thought there had been a murder or something. Run out and it’s the bride to be, wailing, sitting on the floor literally beside herself. Turns out In her extreme drunkness the night before she had got it on with the family friend and has done the deed !!!

Honestly was so so shocked, totally ruined the trip (obviously) and I never spoke to any of the other girls again 🤣 could never look at her in the eye either after the whole situ!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I was invited (last minute) to a hen do in Spain by someone at work - we were close - ish but work mates mainly. I said yes because at the time I was single, wasn’t going on a girls trip that year and basically had nothing to lose!
When we got there it was a big group of her home and uni friends plus a random guy who she explained was one of her childhood family friends but he had chosen to go on her hen do rather than her fiancée stag.
It’s three nights long - we get to the last night and things are EXTREMELY boozy. We went to a cocktail making class in the day followed by a bar, boozy dinner and night out. All fine, get back at 4am and I go straight to bed (we are staying in a villa)
I wake up early to INTENSE screaming, honestly I thought there had been a murder or something. Run out and it’s the bride to be, wailing, sitting on the floor literally beside herself. Turns out In her extreme drunkness the night before she had got it on with the family friend and has done the deed !!!

Honestly was so so shocked, totally ruined the trip (obviously) and I never spoke to any of the other girls again 🤣 could never look at her in the eye either after the whole situ!
Omg ! Did the groom find out? What happened next ?!?!

Reactions: 2

I don't understand why you couldn't look her in the eye?! Sounds like it was a good night our though for her to get that drunk or do you think there was always an undercurrent?!

Reactions: 1
These stories are terrible. I couldn't think of anything worse than a forced organised night out with a group involving people I don't know 😣

It's not just hen dos, I don't like Christmas dos or big organised birthdays either

Reactions: 8