Hen Do Horror Stories!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was supposed to be a MOH for someone who turned into the ultimate bridezilla. She expected a 4/5 day jaunt to Disneyland Paris (obviously with her not paying anything) and for us to all just use our holiday to suit her ON TOP OF using about 4 days’ holiday for her actual wedding. The expectation of paying hundreds for an air b&b just to go and look at dresses was just ridiculous. In the end I told her I just wasn’t up to the task and fucked her off because the dramatics and sulking just tipped me over the edge 😂
I’ve turned down every hen do invite I’ve ever received and not regretted it once! I just went to a spa with my mum, sister and best mate the weekend before my wedding. Paid for myself and just hung out together. Don’t regret a thing.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
I personally really enjoyed my hen do however I have been on a crappy one.

We all paid the same but somehow I managed to be forgotten about meaning I didn’t have an actual bed. So I spent the 2 nights sleeping on the floor with my coat. The MOH was a royal witch and basically told us to do exactly as she said.
Bore fest

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
I'm planning my hen do together with my MOH. as I'm inviting hens from 3 different countries, I want a weekend away. I would never expect for people to pay for me and I'll actually cover flights and accommodation for my mum and sis.

I don't do nights out so prefer to go away :)

Reactions: 3
a group of women where not all of them know each other in advance is asking for trouble in my opinion. Leaving the rest of it aside, I've always been shocked just how long they take to get ready.....

Reactions: 12
I planned my best friend of 20+ years’ hen party for her and about 9 others and it resulted in me being demoted from Made of Honour to a ‘guest’ which I declined and I’ve never spoketo her again since.

basically the long weekend in a beach-side loft apartment with day shopping and eating, chocolate making workshop & dinner at an Italian restaurant I’d planned and booked around her ‘friends’ who had no money was not appreciated and she literally asked me ‘is this all there is?’ as we stood on the beach in the blazing sunshine with a drink in hand.

edit; just to say Bride doesn’t drink and didn’t want a boozy/party hen do so I did my best!

I was so gobsmacked and to add insult to injury she let her ‘friends’ (basically work colleagues and sister in law so maybe that says a lot) walk all over me and tell me how much better they could have planned it. Bearing in mind i spent 6 months planning hers and rounding up money (which I put in a LOT more than them) and she said ‘sorry I don’t see how you could have spent so long planning this’.

it sent me into a bit of an anxiety spiral and for about a year afterwards I had major issues with my self esteem and not feeling good enough, I’ll never forgive her for it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 78
I planned my best friend of 20+ years’ hen party for her and about 9 others and it resulted in me being demoted from Made of Honour to a ‘guest’ which I declined and I’ve never spoketo her again since.

basically the long weekend in a beach-side loft apartment with day shopping and eating, chocolate making workshop & dinner at an Italian restaurant I’d planned and booked around her ‘friends’ who had no money was not appreciated and she literally asked me ‘is this all there is?’ as we stood on the beach in the blazing sunshine with a drink in hand.

edit; just to say Bride doesn’t drink and didn’t want a boozy/party hen do so I did my best!

I was so gobsmacked and to add insult to injury she let her ‘friends’ (basically work colleagues and sister in law so maybe that says a lot) walk all over me and tell me how much better they could have planned it. Bearing in mind i spent 6 months planning hers and rounding up money (which I put in a LOT more than them) and she said ‘sorry I don’t see how you could have spent so long planning this’.

it sent me into a bit of an anxiety spiral and for about a year afterwards I had major issues with my self esteem and not feeling good enough, I’ll never forgive her for it.
What is it about hen dos and weddings that turn women into bloody knot heads?!

Why are people so greedy, what more did she want?!

If I get married (currently been with my partner 15 years and still have t got round to getting married 😂😂) I won’t even bother having a hen do and i couldn’t give a toss what the wedding is like either tbh as long as I’m married at the end of it, who cares?!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
What is it about hen dos and weddings that turn women into bloody knot heads?!

Why are people so greedy, what more did she want?!

If I get married (currently been with my partner 15 years and still have t got round to getting married 😂😂) I won’t even bother having a hen do and i couldn’t give a toss what the wedding is like either tbh as long as I’m married at the end of it, who cares?!
that’s what it is I think, like she had this attitude of ‘this is my day and you need to make it special for ME’ and all other airs and graces go out the window! Women just seem to forget that it’s a bloody privelidge to have other people spend their hard earned money on you and pay for you to do something that we didn’t even ask you to do!!

We didn’t ask you to get engaged or married but here we are paying for it! 😂

you’ve got the right idea and I feel the same, its scarred me for life and I’ll never go on a hen do again let alone want one myself!

Reactions: 16

Did you tell her she was an ungrateful cow?

• Haha
Omg this thread is giving me the fear!😬

I am dreading being asked by my best friend of 30 years to help plan her hen party if she gets engaged to her boyfriend. It’s her first serious relationship and she acts like she is a relationship guru now 🙄

I just KNOW she will be a bridezilla. She’ll want to go away somewhere.

I didn’t have a hen party as I simply didn’t want one but she kept sending me spa day ideas etc. She just wouldn’t accept that I didn’t want to have one.

She can be a right bossy mare sometimes, I told my husband I would even dread being in her bridal party if I was asked. I’d much rather just be a guest and not be bossed about thank you very much!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Omg this thread is giving me the fear!😬

I am dreading being asked by my best friend of 30 years to help plan her hen party if she gets engaged to her boyfriend. It’s her first serious relationship and she acts like she is a relationship guru now 🙄

I just KNOW she will be a bridezilla. She’ll want to go away somewhere.

I didn’t have a hen party as I simply didn’t want one but she kept sending me spa day ideas etc. She just wouldn’t accept that I didn’t want to have one.

She can be a right bossy mare sometimes, I told my husband I would even dread being in her bridal party if I was asked. I’d much rather just be a guest and not be bossed about thank you very much!
Oh yeah, she is going to be a full on HORROR!

I'd cut ties now. Save yourself 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Oh yeah, she is going to be a full on HORROR!

I'd cut ties now. Save yourself 😂
Fuuuuccckkkkkkk 😂

It’s unreal how these traits have emerged since she started seeing her bf! She was single for years and all of a sudden this guy appears on the scene.

I’m hoping she asks somebody else to help her arrange stuff. I do think she will flip her lid over wedding planning 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I love hen do’s but I’ve never had to plan one. I just pay my money. Go where and when I’m told and get drunk 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Did you tell her she was an ungrateful cow?
I said a lot more than that! the first time we spoke after the hen party she EMAILED me and I asked that we spoke in person and that’s basically when she still stuck to her guns and said she expected more & I was like ‘ok whether you got a night in the pub and a pizza express or a week in the Bahamas you should have been grateful, right?’ But it didn’t sink in Then when she asked if I’d consider being just a guest at her wedding and not MOH I didn’t even dignify it with a response!

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Fuuuuccckkkkkkk 😂

It’s unreal how these traits have emerged since she started seeing her bf! She was single for years and all of a sudden this guy appears on the scene.

I’m hoping she asks somebody else to help her arrange stuff. I do think she will flip her lid over wedding planning 😬
mention a fictional work-do that you organised that went really badly to sew the seed that you're not a safe pair of hands. Or get pregnant to avoid it!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
To add to my previous post... I did also organise my best friends hen do prior to my sisters. It was an absoloute breeze in comparison! Everyone was laid back (including the bride) and just paid what they needed, when they needed to and everyone enjoyed themselves.

I do think hen dos are way too over the top nowadays and a lot of it is done for social media. Someone I'm close to is off on a hen do for 4 nights long haul and flights alone are in the region of £300-£400. By the time they've paid accommodation, activities, spending money etc... It's looking to be in the £1000 region. The person I know who is going cant afford it so the majority is going on cc. It's madness to me! Luckily I don't know the bridezilla so it's not my problem 🙈☕

Reactions: 10
To add to my previous post... I did also organise my best friends hen do prior to my sisters. It was an absoloute breeze in comparison! Everyone was laid back (including the bride) and just paid what they needed, when they needed to and everyone enjoyed themselves.

I do think hen dos are way too over the top nowadays and a lot of it is done for social media. Someone I'm close to is off on a hen do for 4 nights long haul and flights alone are in the region of £300-£400. By the time they've paid accommodation, activities, spending money etc... It's looking to be in the £1000 region. The person I know who is going cant afford it so the majority is going on cc. It's madness to me! Luckily I don't know the bridezilla so it's not my problem 🙈☕
What’s wrong with a night out? I always say it’s over the top now, my brother in law was invited to 5 stag dos last year....all abroad....who can afford that?

Reactions: 17
We had a joint evening...a hag do 😂

We just invited those who were helping us arrange everything out for a meal. We went to Cosmo so that we could be confident there'd be something everyone would eat, then those that wanted went on for drinks etc.

The whole wedding was on a major budget, so anything expensive was out of the question, but even if that wasn't the case I doubt we'd have gone mad, it's not our thing.

I was left by my bridesmaids to plan my own. So I did. And paid my own way too (weekend in a family owned apartment, we just had flights to pay for)

Fast forward 5 years and my maid of honour gets married. I'm expected to plan her hen do, which I don't mind. But when I split the cost between all of us, her included, she says she didn't think the bride should pay 🤷

She wanted a few days in Spain! So we all ended up paying for her too and I'll forever be known as a mug 🤦

I wouldn't have minded paying for the bride, but the fact it wasn't a 'thing' until it was her that was the bride annoyed me!
I totally agree with this I really don’t think the hens should be expected to pay for the bride too!

My sister's hen do was an absoloute nightmare to plan and organise. I lost count of the amount of panic attacks it gave me. Have vowed NEVER EVER to plan another hen do again. Have also vowed to NEVER plan anything for my sister again, her friends were something else. Was so glad when her wedding was over so I didn't have to see or talk to them again. It sounds extreme but it was so stressful 😔
I had a very similar experience. My best friend from school got married last year and I didn’t know all of her friends (she met them all at work). I was supposed to be organising with the other bridesmaids but one of them in particular was so bossy and domineering. The weekend itself was hell, none of them made any effort to include me as they all knew each other despite my efforts to integrate, they were rude, brash, embarrassing to be out with in public and I would honestly never go on another hen do again!!

I said a lot more than that! the first time we spoke after the hen party she EMAILED me and I asked that we spoke in person and that’s basically when she still stuck to her guns and said she expected more & I was like ‘ok whether you got a night in the pub and a pizza express or a week in the Bahamas you should have been grateful, right?’ But it didn’t sink in Then when she asked if I’d consider being just a guest at her wedding and not MOH I didn’t even dignify it with a response!
This story is awful!! I had a similar hen do experience and it left me feeling really low for a while afterwards, it sounds so dramatic but it was really horrible. So glad you didn’t dignify her ‘demotion’ with a response.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Have been MOH three times. I'm never organising another hen party again, told my sister to be prepared for that if she wants me to be hers. The chasing of money and people moaning just isn't worth it. Then people drop out and expect to be reimbursed when the hotel package deals don't do refunds.

Reactions: 10
I always say no to any hen do invites I get- not for me thanks! I also politely declined being my friend's bridesmaid as I really didnt want to, luckily she understood. I hadn't even met her fiance ffs!
I'm not getting married so I don't expect people to do these things for me.. I don't feel guilty lol 🙊