Hen Do Horror Stories!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
sorry to all of you ladies who have suffered at the hands of ungrateful bridezillas like me but not going to lie this thread is really helping me get over what happened to me haha

it’s reassuring in a way to know that there wasn’t just one crazy witch out there that I was unlucky enough to encounter - there’s multiple!!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I can’t believe some brides expect to be paid for that’s ridiculous! I had my own hen do and I’ve been on many both home and abroad and never have I been asked to pay for the bride. Yes obviously you buy her a cocktail or two but the entitlement of expecting other people to pay for you is disgraceful. The worst I’ve had is sheer bad planning, it took us 12 hours to get from the UK (Leeds) to a hotel in Majorca. I’m not even sure how it was possible 🤔

Reactions: 16
A sad but true story. My neighbour had her hen party in a coastal village in Ireland. One of the girls at the hen party was alone that night, standing on a pier taking a photo of the coast, she slipped, fell into the water and died. The wedding after was a very sombre affair.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
A sad but true story. My neighbour had her hen party in a coastal village in Ireland. One of the girls at the hen party was alone that night, standing on a pier taking a photo of the coast, she slipped, fell into the water and died. The wedding after was a very sombre affair.
This happened not far from me. I remember hearing about it on the news. So so sad 💔

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
I'm a proper bridesmaid for the first time next year... the bride has chosen 3 people who all live in different countries! However the hen is expected to be in Ibiza... I really would love to go and if I save can afford it but damn... I'd kill for a night out with blow up dicks tbh!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I've organised about 5 hen dos and they've all but one been a breeze. The only one that was a problem was the brides sister who told me and my friend we were bad friends because we didnt want to pay (couldn't afford at the time) to go to marbella for the weekend. None of the friends could. My friends mum was gonna pay for the sister and my friend so she obviously just wanted a weekend away. Got very heated and my friend ended up saying she just wanted a day and night local (we're in london) and that's what we did. We had a great time. The bride loved!

My hen do was in October...my bridesmaids did INCREDIBLE...32 hens and it was the best weekend ever. Everyone said was the best hen they've ever been off. As far as I know it wasnt too stressful...just the most special weekend with all my favourite ladies!

I know it can be awkward asking for money but my advice is keep it simple. Dont plan too much...keep it fun and try and do things to keep everyone happy! It's a happy time after all. My memories from my hen will stay with me forever!

Reactions: 5
When one of the girls at work was getting married, we’d go to the local Greek restaurant which has a DJ in the evening. Lots of drinks and plate smashing.

I’m going on my friends hen do this year. 4 days, but me and others have said we'll only do 3. Hoping there won’t be any drama (as we’ve paid loads) however, the bride has had problems with her future MIL who’s coming and can be a witch after a few wines

Reactions: 3
My sister is getting married later this year. I have not been asked to be a bridesmaid. (I eloped so obv didn't have any bridesmaids myself but I 100% would of asked my sister to be one)

ANYWAY, her hen in this summer and I've not even been told about it by her friends. I only found out about where it it from my mum (it's in the city where I live😂) as she asked me if u was going to come! I received a message from her mate today asking me if I wanted to come (they want money in 2 weeks) but she's asked for money for something completely different to what my mum told me is happening,

So I don't have a clue to be honest. The brides sister and im being kept in the dark about what's going on when it's on my own doorstep 🤣

Weird.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I remember this so well, I was only in that town visiting the week prior. Utterly tragic state of affairs.

On a lighter note, I'm MOH and currently attempting to plan my sisters hen party for later this year. It's my idea of hell as I'm a social recluse whereas she is polar opposite and life/soul of the party. Luckily its being organised between me and her two other bridesmaids who are usually pretty easy going so I've my fingers crossed it's relatively stress free!

Reactions: 6
I went to my close friends hen last year (not a bridesmaid but by the end of it quite glad not to have been 😂)
All along the bride had said she wanted to go abroad and this was common knowledge! Soo where did we end up going? Manchester! Also the reasoning for this is because self appointed chief bridesmaid had already been to the country that the bride wanted to go to and was trying to get pregnant so if it was in the UK could still come along.
Fast forward a few months to the bride having to be warned she is not going abroad and is understandably quite gutted! Then said chief bridesmaid gets pregnant and is due to give birth a few weeks before the hen so doesn’t even go which means we could have gone abroad all along 😒 oh also they booked a nude life drawing for one of the activities which is cringe enough anyway but they had promised there would be a bar etc, we turn up and it’s literally like a kids dance studio and the model was an older guy who usually poses for serious art classes! The whole thing was just sooo cringe & awkward oh and we paid so much for the weekend we could have gone abroad anyway. Also we were expected to chip in for the bride too and put money aside to get her a present (the bride tribes idea!) just felt really sorry for the bride tbh and she said she had the best time but 🤷🏻‍♀️ wow what an essay soz 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 8
My sister in law asked me to be chief bridesmaid and the kids to be flower girls/pageboys

That was fine

What wasn’t fine is the fact she turned into bloody bridezilla

Her mindset seemed to be ‘I want this that and the other but I don’t want to pay for it-it’s my day and everyone else should pay for it’

She forced/guilt tripped me into buying outfits in one colour-then changed her mind (I almost got into debt)

Had me running round town for her-at my own cost-for whatever it was she wanted that day

I could fill the thread with everything but you get the idea-this went on for 9 months-every bloody day brought new demands at a cost to either me or someone else as she wanted it all for free

So anyway-I had to sort the hen do

At the time I was a single mum to 6 so not had loads of spare cash-I was also bringing up kids/school/nursery runs/collage/working part time

I organised a lovely day at a spa (her idea)

I got (forced) all her mates to cough up as I didn’t have the money to pay upfront and some of em thought I’d sub them-I’m talking about 12 hens and over two grand (I paid almost £300 out of my own money on top of everything else I was forced to pay for)

Went to a lot of trouble to sort all this out and make her day special-in fact I made myself ill over the stress of it all

She then uninvited me on the day-an hour before we where due to set off for this spa day cos ‘you’ll find it hard to get childcare’ (I had in fact sorted childcare) and invited a mate of hers to take my place at my expense-she hadn’t lifted a finger to sort any of this apart from to ring me all the sodding time with more demands

so on the day itself I stood on her dress (accidentally) and tore it a tiny bit-I’m talking a few stitches

She screamed at me for being ‘an idiot’ and how ‘she could just punch me’

I made it to the wedding breakfast without punching her-(tempted tho) then I saw red-and I stole their wedding cake-snuck it out the building and gave it to my kids for breakfast the following morning

We don’t speak anymore...
she sounds like a hideous person and you’re better off without her in your life. X

Reactions: 9
I went to my close friends hen last year (not a bridesmaid but by the end of it quite glad not to have been 😂)
All along the bride had said she wanted to go abroad and this was common knowledge! Soo where did we end up going? Manchester! Also the reasoning for this is because self appointed chief bridesmaid had already been to the country that the bride wanted to go to and was trying to get pregnant so if it was in the UK could still come along.
Fast forward a few months to the bride having to be warned she is not going abroad and is understandably quite gutted! Then said chief bridesmaid gets pregnant and is due to give birth a few weeks before the hen so doesn’t even go which means we could have gone abroad all along 😒 oh also they booked a nude life drawing for one of the activities which is cringe enough anyway but they had promised there would be a bar etc, we turn up and it’s literally like a kids dance studio and the model was an older guy who usually poses for serious art classes! The whole thing was just sooo cringe & awkward oh and we paid so much for the weekend we could have gone abroad anyway. Also we were expected to chip in for the bride too and put money aside to get her a present (the bride tribes idea!) just felt really sorry for the bride tbh and she said she had the best time but 🤷🏻‍♀️ wow what an essay soz 😂
see this is my point though, regardless of what she wanted and how it turned out (cringe or awks or whatever) that was planned for her by people who have their own lives going on, their own things to spend their money on, their own jobs and families etc. Her friend was trying for a baby etc so I’m glad she had the decency to say she has the best time.

That’s something my ‘best friend’ clearly couldn’t bring herself to do after the weekend I planned for her!!

My hen do was in October...my bridesmaids did INCREDIBLE...32 hens and it was the best weekend ever. Everyone said was the best hen they've ever been off. As far as I know it wasnt too stressful...just the most special weekend with all my favourite ladies!
Jesus, 32?!? I don’t think I could even name 32 women that I know let alone 32 that id want to spend a weekend with hahaha that’s impressive!

Reactions: 19
I’m currently organising my best friends hen weekend.. all of the bridesmaids live in different countries so I’m just organising it alone.

What I’m really hurt about is the fact that people think it’s ok to back out despite saying they would come for ages! I’ve had 4 people back out so far which is setting me back £340.. why say yes if you’re not going to commit??!!

Aside from that, I’m not worried about it. The bride is very chilled and I won’t take no tit from anyone if they dare complain as I have but blood sweat and tears into making it a really good but affordable weekend!

Reactions: 1
I could have written this word for word and is exactly what is going to be happening for my sister in law at the end of the year!

My friends hen do was turn up a pub that did food at 1 a clock in a saturday afternoon have lunch and stay out as long as wanted pub crawl. She picked a pub that had light bites or meals everyone ordered and paid for what they had. All us guest did was bring some embarrassing things to make the bride wear or have photos with to make it abit different to a saturday drink.
She didnt let us pay for her meal or pudding but we kept making sure her glass was always full when she wasnt looking and slipping money back in her bag when she gave for her round.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I planned my best friend of 20+ years’ hen party for her and about 9 others and it resulted in me being demoted from Made of Honour to a ‘guest’ which I declined and I’ve never spoketo her again since.

basically the long weekend in a beach-side loft apartment with day shopping and eating, chocolate making workshop & dinner at an Italian restaurant I’d planned and booked around her ‘friends’ who had no money was not appreciated and she literally asked me ‘is this all there is?’ as we stood on the beach in the blazing sunshine with a drink in hand.

edit; just to say Bride doesn’t drink and didn’t want a boozy/party hen do so I did my best!

I was so gobsmacked and to add insult to injury she let her ‘friends’ (basically work colleagues and sister in law so maybe that says a lot) walk all over me and tell me how much better they could have planned it. Bearing in mind i spent 6 months planning hers and rounding up money (which I put in a LOT more than them) and she said ‘sorry I don’t see how you could have spent so long planning this’.

it sent me into a bit of an anxiety spiral and for about a year afterwards I had major issues with my self esteem and not feeling good enough, I’ll never forgive her for it.
This is absolutely bloody awful. I really feel for you. People are such twats nowadays hey? What you organised sounds perfectly wonderful. It’s a harsh way to learn about how hideous people can be.

Reactions: 11
I absolutely hate hen dos. I've been to a few and I don't get to talk to my friend whose hen it it, I have to talk to people I don't know all night, there's always a big gang of "people from work" or "people from uni" that all know each other, and I'm not really good at meeting new people...I don't go to hen parties any more. It's too awkward and I explain to my friends that I would rather see them one on one than in a big crowd of people I don't know.

When I got married, I went for about ten or so different afternoon teas around the city where I now live with one or two of my friends each time, and I really loved it. I went back home to see my gang of friends from school and we had a tea party in my parents garden and everyone that wanted to made or brought cake with them to eat. It was the absolute best. I'm really glad that I have such understanding friends.

Thank goodness nobody has ever wanted me to be MoH and organise a big party! Waaaaay too much drama.

Reactions: 13
My small circle of friends nearly had heart failure when I stated that I did not want a hen do of any sort. I can’t abide going out with them girls’. I told them to all go out on my behalf and to have a great time. They all went to Leeds and had a fabulous time as did I with my Chinese.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I’ve been on one where I was bullied the whole time and it sent my anxiety that bad I had to have counselling and medication. That being said mine was amazing and I’ve been on so many amazing ones.I can cope with the tat for a boozy weekend in the sun

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12