Health anxiety #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone get new freckles or moles every year?

I'm currently freaking out about a new freckle on my head. It's small, light brown and similar to others but it's new sooo...
I have a lot of moles and would say I notice new ones every year, usually in the summer when I’ve been in the sun and I notice my skin more. They are usually just tiny little ones so don’t worry me but I hate it as I have so many already that I really don’t need anymore!
I read it’s normal to get new ones up until the age of 40, after that it can be a bit more suspicious (prob still fine though)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have a lot of moles and would say I notice new ones every year, usually in the summer when I’ve been in the sun and I notice my skin more. They are usually just tiny little ones so don’t worry me but I hate it as I have so many already that I really don’t need anymore!
I read it’s normal to get new ones up until the age of 40, after that it can be a bit more suspicious (prob still fine though)
Oh that's good to hear! I'm hyper vigilant with moles and freckles and a new one sends me spiralling every.single.time 😭

Can anyone see the lympnodes in their kids neck?

I can see 3 in my 6 year olds neck when he turns his head. They don't look huge but I clock them every time. 2 are pea size and 1 is slightly bigger.

The kids have had illness after illness recently and I've seen them in his neck before without being concerned but today I am fixated on them.

My husband said it's fine
yes, my 9yr old has had 1 big one and 1 smaller one on the side of his neck, you can mostly see them when he turns his head, this has been since he was about 2years old, never been scanned but been felt by doctors and ENT, they said all feels normal and possibly linked to re-occurring tonsillitis when he was younger and just have never gone back down to normal size, I panic every so often and take him back to the doctor and they always say the same thing, if it was anything to be worried about we would have known long before now, they tell me to look out for night sweats ( which he does sweat so much when in bed so that freaks me out massively but he does run hot ) and unexplained fevers and bleeding which he has never had any of. Now I just try and reassure myself when I notice them that he is healthy and all ok and I would know if he was not, when he does get poorly they do go slightly bigger also.

Oh that's good to hear! I'm hyper vigilant with moles and freckles and a new one sends me spiralling every.single.time 😭
I noticed a very dark raised spot on my back, freaked out. Was up all night. Lucky I was due back at my dermo for my acne and mentioned it to her. Within a week she had cut it out, I took a deep breath and then spent the next 4- 6 weeks spiraling non stop "what if, what if, what if" She rang me eventually, I chased it for weeks. They grade them from 1 - 5. 1 being nothing and 5 being something but more tests need to be done... mine was 1.5. She was like "you're fine, breath and go live your life". Since then, I have absolutely no interest in the sun, sun holidays, getting a tan nothing! I wear SPF 50 on my face everyday and a hat if I'm out in the garden.

Skin cancer health anxiety starts around now for me. So I'm trying to take all the proper steps to do my part (helping my anxiety tbh).

Reactions: 2
Exactly what I’m seeing on my husband’s neck!!! He said I don’t even look at him anymore I just look at the little lymph node.

Weird thing is, my husband never gets sick?😳
That did make me giggle@ Remember lymph nodes rising are a normal reaction to the body doing its job of fighting off illness.

• Heart
I came onto these threads a while ago but havent been on for some time. I struggle massively with health anxiety. The slightest niggle or sensation I get (can be anywhere in my body) I am on to Google. If i get a spot/bruise/bite/cough, different coloured urine, I am on to Google. I am currently in therapy and trying so hard to relieve my anxious mind. Any tips? It's not just health anxiety I have, I am quite an anxious person anyway. Thank you for listening!

• Heart
I came onto these threads a while ago but havent been on for some time. I struggle massively with health anxiety. The slightest niggle or sensation I get (can be anywhere in my body) I am on to Google. If i get a spot/bruise/bite/cough, different coloured urine, I am on to Google. I am currently in therapy and trying so hard to relieve my anxious mind. Any tips? It's not just health anxiety I have, I am quite an anxious person anyway. Thank you for listening!
Honestly, I feel a lot better since writing in this thread last week. I don't feel alone. I don't have any advice or tips other than, come here and talk about whatever way you're feeling❤

• Heart
Has anyone ever experienced shortness of breath or feeling like they can't take a full breath in?

Honestly, the only thing that helped me personally was sertraline. Unfortunately my script ran out and my avoidance/phobia of doctors means I have been taking mine for 2 years.

Best tips - don't Google. Try and restrict the amount of checking and reassurance seeking you do. When it feels the most uncomfortable is when you really need to hold steady and not give in.

Of course this is all easier said and done! Have you looked at "Cherelle Thinks" on YouTube and insta? I found her so helpful and relatable!

Has anyone ever experienced shortness of breath or feeling like they can't take a full breath in?
Yes, this is called air hunger! It's a fight or flight response. People with high anxiety tend to take shallow breaths too.

You need to take a deep breaths in slowly and mindfully and hopefully that should help. If not then definitely look into breathing exercises to help with high anxiety

Yes, I get it on/off sometimes, first time I went doctors for it and I was given chest xray. All clear, and last time it lasted for weeks, once I calmed myself down and realised it was anxiety causing it it went away. Look up drkirren on insta if you have it, she makes posts about health anxiety and has done one on air hunger, it’s almost always a symptom of your anxiety and will go away.

I have it every now and then I mentioned it to my doctor and she said it could be allergies. I haven't had it for a while though but it would last a few weeks then go

It's something I really struggle with too. My Dr wants to put me on anxiety medication for it but yup you guessed it, Im anxious about that too!
For now these are my best tips:

1) NEVER EVER google. Our brains are always going to go to worse case scenario. If I am ever really worried or feeling like I cant not google, I get my husband to do it for me. Because he doesn't have anxiety he can read it far more pragmatically that me and finds the most common reason for things, not the very unlikely things
2) Stay away from media articles, social media etc that tell the story of random people that get sick. I used to do this all the time. I naturally gravitated to worse case stories. I would read them to see if they mentioned what their first symptoms were and I literally convince myself I have them too. I did it with the lady (Deborah?) that had bowel cancer, Sarah Harding with Breast Cancer.
3) When you start spirally, write a list of all the reasons you are healthy, why you cant possibly have a brain tumor, cancer etc. For me its things like 'no sudden weight loss, good diet, fit and active, have had regular blood tests etc.
4) Remind yourself that the vast majority of people lead pretty boring lives and reach a ripe old age before dying. We hear about horrible early deaths for the very reason they are rare.
5) Practise mindful breathing, lie on the floor on your back with your legs up against the wall and take long slow breaths. It can really help to quiet your brain.
---
I would take a very strong guess that its anxiety.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It's something I really struggle with too. My Dr wants to put me on anxiety medication for it but yup you guessed it, Im anxious about that too!
For now these are my best tips:

1) NEVER EVER google. Our brains are always going to go to worse case scenario. If I am ever really worried or feeling like I cant not google, I get my husband to do it for me. Because he doesn't have anxiety he can read it far more pragmatically that me and finds the most common reason for things, not the very unlikely things
2) Stay away from media articles, social media etc that tell the story of random people that get sick. I used to do this all the time. I naturally gravitated to worse case stories. I would read them to see if they mentioned what their first symptoms were and I literally convince myself I have them too. I did it with the lady (Deborah?) that had bowel cancer, Sarah Harding with Breast Cancer.
3) When you start spirally, write a list of all the reasons you are healthy, why you cant possibly have a brain tumor, cancer etc. For me its things like 'no sudden weight loss, good diet, fit and active, have had regular blood tests etc.
4) Remind yourself that the vast majority of people lead pretty boring lives and reach a ripe old age before dying. We hear about horrible early deaths for the very reason they are rare.
5) Practise mindful breathing, lie on the floor on your back with your legs up against the wall and take long slow breaths. It can really help to quiet your brain.
---

I would take a very strong guess that its anxiety.
This is all really great advice!.

• Heart
I've got a really painful lump on the inside of my arm. I noticed it start last night when I was sat at a pub by the canal (wondering if it's a bite? But there's no obvious incision) today it's very sore, feels like it's bruised as it would feel after a blood test. It's hard and painful to touch, I'm not sure that it moves when touched. When my arm is folded it's less painful and harder to feel. But extension is really painful and it's prominent. Any ideas? Really freaking out and my husband is away this weekend so I'm just panicking alone and can't get the usual reassurance I'd get from him

I've got a really painful lump on the inside of my arm. I noticed it start last night when I was sat at a pub by the canal (wondering if it's a bite? But there's no obvious incision) today it's very sore, feels like it's bruised as it would feel after a blood test. It's hard and painful to touch, I'm not sure that it moves when touched. When my arm is folded it's less painful and harder to feel. But extension is really painful and it's prominent. Any ideas? Really freaking out and my husband is away this weekend so I'm just panicking alone and can't get the usual reassurance I'd get from him
Is it red/raised/itchy? What does it look like?

Are freckles a concern or is it more moles?

I've noticed a new freckle on my leg that is pretty much black (probably more likely a very dark brown but it appears black to me) and none of my others are this colour and I have loads of them. I'm waiting for a call back from my GP but I've noticed when talking about skin cancer risks the focus is more on moles...

I really want to go private to get a whole body mole/freckle check for peace of mind but I can't justify nearly £200 😭 and I assume the NHS only looks at ones you're 'concerned' about.

Posted here a couple of weeks back about having a breast lump, just to update and maybe reassure anyone who comes across this in future - it was just a bit of harder breast tissue.

Had my appointment within 2 weeks and the ladies at the clinic were just so lovely and reassuring. Quick physical exam and then an ultrasound and all sorted within the hour. Feel so relieved ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Posted here a couple of weeks back about having a breast lump, just to update and maybe reassure anyone who comes across this in future - it was just a bit of harder breast tissue.

Had my appointment within 2 weeks and the ladies at the clinic were just so lovely and reassuring. Quick physical exam and then an ultrasound and all sorted within the hour. Feel so relieved ☺
Delighted to hear❤❤❤❤

• Heart