Hattie Gladwell

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also think, like FrumpyCat, you have come from a place of kindness and naivety rather than outright grifting.
Agreed. The book Kickstarter is heinous as is not paying your freelancers a proper wage and (potentially) not disclosing ads, but I don't think Hattie is a malicious person (at least I've not seen her take pleasure in another's misery or downfall like other influencers on this site). There's definitely room for a redemption arc - either get the book published or refund the backers, pay your contractors & just be more upfront.

If you want to do advertorials a mental health magazine isn't really the right place because by the nature of its content it is going to attract a vulnerable audience who may struggle with impulsive spending e.g. due to being bipolar or having suicidal intentions.

Maybe it's better to rebrand as a sexual health/positivity magazine since that seems to be an area you enjoy and have experience writing articles in.

Always clearly disclose if a product you're recommending is sponsored/given for free/a client of yours and don't try to sell the idea that buying things will improve someone's mental health for your own financial gain, that's just a really awful thing to do. You're no better than Gwyneth paltrow and her 'goop' cons at that point.

Your followers/readers are not just numbers you can extract money and attention from, they're real people with real lives which you can either positively or negatively impact depending on your choices.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
in her mentions. i suspect she's been talking about us. kicking myself for not following when I had the chance

View attachment 644834
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

On a platform that not only self moderates but is run under tighter/kinder rules than Twitter, reports to mods are always responded to in a timely and fair manner, and contributors are conscious to make use of trigger warnings and spoilers? The HELL HOLE of us! x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Do you want me to slide in Post Malone’s DMs ask him to give us the Tea?

I bet you a fancy room spray that she’s failed to mention to her followers she has an account on here too and was happy enough to read along on her friend/colleague’s thread.
Read along and contribute to that thread.

Hatttie love, you’re a Tattler too

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
If you want to do advertorials a mental health magazine isn't really the right place because by the nature of its content it is going to attract a vulnerable audience who may struggle with impulsive spending e.g. due to being bipolar or having suicidal intentions.
I am so glad you included this. I typed and deleted similar but as I am not even close to being knowledgable or expert in poor mental health issues and their symptoms I decided to delete it but I do personally know two people with very poor impulse spending issues and both are diagnosed bipolar. One also has ADHD. It definitely impacts their money management hugely, and to their detriment. Neither will ever own property or even get credit now. One has hoarding issues to boot and it’s such a shame as they are both really nice people. It angers me that their impulsivity is monetised by some of these questionable tactics.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Meanwhile a good handful of her followers who were also wondering how she can suddenly afford to rent a bigger house after asking for help paying bills recently are all googling to find the terrible site she speaks of 👋👋👋 welcome in lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I think what Hattie and The Breakdown do is part of a bigger problem. Using people’s mental illnesses to sell them things is nasty. I agree with others who say it wouldn’t be so bad if it was a “lifestyle“ blog.

This kind of “journalism” conflates everyday feelings of sadness with genuine mental health conditions. It’s already a problem and causes a lot of misunderstanding and stigma.

But what worries me more (and HG is just a part of a bigger issue here), is that it’s now a “thing“ to convince people with mental illnesses that buying things will make them feel better.
But also, it reminds me of how the beauty industry and media has (scarily successfully) convinced millions of women that they do not look good enough, simply so they (Big Cosmetics or whoever) can sell us stuff. It genuinely worries me thinking about what the repercussions of this trend could be.

Sorry for the rambling post. I wish I could be more empathic to Ms Gladwell like others here are, but I feel like she should know better, having openly had her own MH struggles, and yet still doesn’t care.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I am so glad you included this. I typed and deleted similar but as I am not even close to being knowledgable or expert in poor mental health issues and their symptoms I decided to delete it but I do personally know two people with very poor impulse spending issues and both are diagnosed bipolar. One also has ADHD. It definitely impacts their money management hugely, and to their detriment. Neither will ever own property or even get credit now. One has hoarding issues to boot and it’s such a shame as they are both really nice people. It angers me that their impulsivity is monetised by some of these questionable tactics.
Absolutely. I've struggled with my own mental health in the past and have had periods of suicidal ideation. during my first tangle with depression and anxiety I spent all my money and savings on giving expensive gifts to friends & family, and treating myself to nice things because I figured I wouldn't be around when the money ran out ... thankfully I sought help before money rant out and I didn't take out any massive debts - but I know other people won't have been as lucky as me, and may not have family members who would let them stay at their place while they get back on their feet like I had back then.

No amount of money in my pocket would be worth knowing I could have put someone else in a worse situation, someone who could be at the absolute lowest situation in their life emotionally, when they should instead be directed to seek help.

ETA - Sideboard you've nailed it, it's a symptom of current society where we're encouraged to individually solve our problems by just buying tit, mental illness has been commodified and recovery is sold as being solely down to us to figure out by ourselves and succeed at using bath bombs or whatever which minimises the problem and leads to people being like "go outside, depression is just a cloud ☁, do some yoga you'll be cured!" when really what we need is a truckload more govt spending on mental health programs and addressing the issues which exacerbate mental illness in first place.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Ah, the plight of the social media grifter. If only they could be left to shaft people in peace without anybody daring to even discuss it on a site they can't stop visiting to read every word

• Heart
Reactions: 22
You know what? I fervently hope people do google and come here.

The last few posts have been absolutely bang on the nail. We aren’t here to snipe at the fancy Apple set ups or the piles of unnecessary and, as we now find out, clearly unaffordable presents for a one year old. It pains us that WE see these things for what they are and want to help others also see it.

Hattie isn't any happier for having an Insta friendly office/desk shot for social media or 10/15 odd presents all perfectly wrapped in matching paper for a one year old that will dribble and chew on the wrappers as much as enjoy the contents. If anything, she will be unhappier as the statements and bills roll in every month, interest mounting, unceasing.

Stop buying tit - the world can’t take it - and enjoy the freedom that comes with that decision. And stop trying to get others to buy tit too (applies to Jack as much as Hattie to be fair, what with the Cotswolds and designer gear found in puddles and Sue Ryder).

ETA The pic I saw the other day that got me riled up! The kid would be happy with a rusk and a noisy toy, by my experience. This adult wrapping paper, in this colour scheme, this set up - ENTIRELY for Hattie and social media benefit and not the kid.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
honestly, the popping in and out to check on her own thread and scrambling to make herself invisible has me HOOTING!

I just need matt haig to throw a hissy fit and find his (tiny, slow) thread and my week will be made!
Oh Matt Haig found his a while ago and moaned about it on a podcast hosted by Dawn O'Porter.
It literally had about two pages then and was so mild. Mainly former fans saying he should go off twitter.
I didn't know Hattie had a new house?
I do feel a bit sorry for her as she does seem sensitive - but her grifting does seem unsavoury.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
To echo what @FrumpyCat said I think she’s coming from a good place with the magazine. I just don’t think it helps most of the topics the articles are about have already been written about numerous times in numerous different ways.

I am lucky enough to never have experienced mental health issues so maybe I should stay in my lane but I and I’m not just aiming this at your mag Hattie, find the whole “buy this and you’ll be cured” shtick rather vulgar.

Reactions: 14
Ah, the plight of the social media grifter. If only they could be left to shaft people in peace without anybody daring to even discuss it on a site they can't stop visiting to read every word
I don’t want to take away from what is a brilliant point, but omg “left to shaft people in peace“ is such a 👩‍🍳 💋 perfect, hilarious turn of phrase.

Back to Hatz, I know that making people feel tit in order to buy things is not new. But even after messages from the media of “your face isn’t good enough“, “your body isn’t good enough“, “your home isn’t good enough”, etc, etc being told that your own freaking mind/mental health isn’t good enough feels like a particularly low blow.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Oh Matt Haig found his a while ago and moaned about it on a podcast hosted by Dawn O'Porter.
It literally had about two pages then and was so mild. Mainly former fans saying he should go off twitter.
did he? 🤣 oh, I do hope he's still reading. although this am, I did notice he deleted his tweet promoting his guardian interview very shortly after I posted my thoughts here, so...

anyhoo, I do think that Hattie has good intentions and I believe that she has health issues, but the way she's going about it is smelly

• Haha
Reactions: 15
You know what? I fervently hope people do google and come here.

The last few posts have been absolutely bang on the nail. We aren’t here to snipe at the fancy Apple set ups or the piles of unnecessary and, as we now find out, clearly unaffordable presents for a one year old. It pains us that WE see these things for what they are and want to help others also see it.

Hattie isn't any happier for having an Insta friendly office/desk shot for social media or 10/15 odd presents all perfectly wrapped in matching paper for a one year old that will dribble and chew on the wrappers as much as enjoy the contents. If anything, she will be unhappier as the statements and bills roll in every month, interest mounting, unceasing.

Stop buying tit - the world can’t take it - and enjoy the freedom that comes with that decision. And stop trying to get others to buy tit too (applies to Jack as much as Hattie to be fair, what with the Cotswolds and designer gear found in puddles and Sue Ryder).

ETA The pic I saw the other day that got me riled up! The kid would be happy with a rusk and a noisy toy, by my experience. This adult wrapping paper, in this colour scheme, this set up - ENTIRELY for Hattie and social media benefit and not the kid.
I hope this is going to be articulated properly, not good with words but:

I cringe when I see these sorts of images for so many reasons, completely agree with you but also think of mums and kids in less favourable financial positions and the pressure or shame it applies. It’s quite popular click bait around Christmas with mum spends £xk per child etc. Like when Jack Monroe lined up all her presents including cash and gift cards 😂

idk it’s weird and almost didn’t want to comment on it as poor kid alumnus now raising a v privileged child I struggle with lots of different thoughts daily around consumption versus saving/investing versus them forging their own way etc so suppose it in some way touches a nerve or triggers something. But I suppose that doesn’t matter when I’m not grifting for it on social media lolz 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I hope this is going to be articulated properly, not good with words but:

I cringe when I see these sorts of images for so many reasons, completely agree with you but also think of mums and kids in less favourable financial positions and the pressure or shame it applies. It’s quite popular click bait around Christmas with mum spends £xk per child etc. Like when Jack Monroe lined up all her presents including cash and gift cards 😂

idk it’s weird and almost didn’t want to comment on it as poor kid alumnus now raising a v privileged child I struggle with lots of different thoughts daily around consumption versus saving/investing versus them forging their own way etc so suppose it in some way touches a nerve or triggers something. But I suppose that doesn’t matter when I’m not grifting for it on social media lolz 🤷🏻‍♀️
I know what you mean. Hattie is probably just as much a victim in reality. Running up debt on cards so a one year old can be spoilt for photo ops - because he sure as tit won’t remember it! It doesn’t mean she has to sign up for making the problem worse, or perpetuating it. It shouldn’t start at one years old with colour toned paper to match your cushions so the inevitable oversharing looks nice. And if Hatttie has experience in mental health issues and understands the value of things like health and true wellbeing, then she is doing an even bigger disservice to her followers by perpetuation of $$$=happiness.

It is a tightrope when you start to get a decent bit of disposable income so you certainly have my best wishes in finding the right path. You want your kids to have what you didn’t but you want them to appreciate the value of their good fortune too.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The thing about the present photo is that these are all of the presents from her.
So presumably there are loads of extra family presents (or even one or two if not that close to family) etc which aren’t in the photo.
I would imagine a family member who bought a present out of love with standard wrapping paper could feel quite hurt by this.
It does, however feel a bit performarive as there are loads of square/rectangular shapes which seems strange for a one year old.

I hope the baby has a lovely day though

Wow for an actual journalist she's not good with the words is she? Cos "more than words will ever know" doesn't make sense. Choose between "more than you will ever know" or "more than words can ever say" but it's not really a mix and match situation.
Sorry to all the non-pedants out there but I feel better now I've got that out!

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Wow for an actual journalist she's not good with the words is she? Cos "more than words will ever know" doesn't make sense. Choose between "more than you will ever know" or "more than words can ever say" but it's not really a mix and match situation.
Sorry to all the non-pedants out there but I feel better now I've got that out!
You beat me to it!!!! I was just typing that too. I'm no Lynne Truss but for someone who writes for a living...😬... that's piss poor.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'm a presents truther. Those are just empty boxes from all her #gifted products in surprisingly effective camouflage paper. She could have written a series of articles about societal pressures on new mothers and the effect on mental health and wellbeing but instead she's decided to join in with all the performative nonsense. If she really did spend all that money on presents then no wonder she needs to rinse vulnerable people.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
It doesn’t mean she has to sign up for making the problem worse, or perpetuating it. It shouldn’t start at one years old with colour toned paper to match your cushions so the inevitable oversharing looks nice.
Oh I 100% agree with you my love, sorry I re read it and I was vague, I’m anti excessive consumption so on any level I think it’s… not fab. But 100% think a PR/journo posting that perpetuates that toxic culture and really ultimately breeds shame for other mums. She’s been candid with her tales of credit card woe, but even having access to credit is a relative privilege as it requires some form of disposable income measured by the banks / not having maxed out cards on simply living.

Agreed though I wouldn’t be perpetuating debt to stunt on other mums or create Insta fodder content. I do feel bad for any mum because this toxic consumption competition is really hard to not get drawn into, I don’t think I’d be as zen about it had I not had ten million hours of therapy for all my other problems 😬

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.