Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

SFV

VIP Member
I am white and i am asked all the time where I am from because of my accent.

My kids are mixed race and when they are asked where they are from, they say where they are from, but will always add, I am half 'this' (my heritage) and half 'that', (my husbands heritage). They are very proud of both heritages, its not such a big deal.

And to be fair, having seen some photos now, she is dressed in what looks like a very traditional outfit, irrespective of what colour her skin is, I understand now why she would have asked her where she was from, what her heritage is, Hackney doesn't really make sense in that case, so I can clearly see why the old lady was bemused by the answer.

• Heart
Reactions: 72
This person works with the African and the Caribbean community, but they are offended when asked about her African ancestry, and if I recall her answer is "I don't know" because they didn't keep records. Shouldn't she be more concerned that she cannot even identify her roots rather than be mad that someone asked her about it?

None of it makes any sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 68

Wackie Jeaver

VIP Member
Ngozi Fulani must have a really excellent memory to be able to remember the 'conversation' word for word like that. Just sayin...

• Sick
Reactions: 68
Harry & Meghan #270 Deck The Halls With Hermes Blankets.....

(Fa la la la laa la la Fuck off) additional bit not for the title cos of the swears ;)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67

SweetSummerChild

VIP Member
I don’t know many Africans who would dress that badly to attend a royal event. This woman is clearly trying to appear African, but has missed the elegance, dignity and fucking respect most African people would have shown. How embarrassing. Her behaviour is an insult to Africans. I saw where she was waxing lyrical about being first exposed to ‘African culture’ (all the same, are they? Hmmm?) and the music and the food. But she hasn’t absorbed what it is to be African. And yeah I know some Africans can be terrible people, just as some Brits/Americans/Aussies/whatever can be awful. But really she’s just the same race baiting cunt underneath the costume.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 67

Margot1977

VIP Member
Out of interest...

Who has been asked "where are you from?"
Me. Plenty of times. I'm not English, have lived here (UK) for a long time, still have a bit of an accent - but it's not one usually associated with the country I'm from. Actually - I was at a Post Office yesterday, chatting to the staff, and got asked by another customer about Rugby on Saturday (he assumed I was from SA, I'm not 😂). No offence whatsoever, we joked about it.
In the past I was asked about my slightly slanty eyes, which - again - would suggest a past interaction in the family with someone of clearly not quite European background - my own husband jokes I have some Genghis Khan genes in me from many generations back...and is probably right, although no record exists, but those features run through the family.

And yes - I'm really really fuming about the RF cowering to this. Lady SH is 83 FFS, pretty sure she is polite to a fault, and was just trying to make small talk...the 'victim' not only claims she was left "stunned speechless" (shame it wasn't for a lot longer...), and says it was a trauma. Considering what the occasion was in the first place, talking of this 'incident' as a major trauma takes away from the real trauma abuse against women causes. Lady SH is from a different era, and anybody with half a brain wouldn't have thought for a second that pushing your hair away to see the badge is anything more than it is - however 'not on' it might seem to people nowadays. Unless, of course, you were hell-bent on using this occasion as a stick to beat the RF with, because, you know....you really dislike them deep down, and only went there to see if you could take an offence in one way or another....

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 66

Regina2071

Asking cos I'm curious - whenever I meet and get talking to people with different accents and of different colour, I like to know where they are from and how they ended up where they are - purely out of curiosity and because I like variety and conversing with strangers, so how do you ask someone where they are from without offending them ?

• Heart
First full day in Boston for W&C, so naturally another round of attention-grabbing from the Duo. And naturally, royal rota in Boston are commenting on this instead of their jobs on the ground
"When the stakes are this high, doesn't it make more sense to hear our story from us?" what stakes 43, what stakes??
This ad doesn't, in the slightest, encourage me to sign up to Netflix

• Sick
  • Angry
  • Haha

MeInMidAmerica

VIP Member
Both parts of the conversation are there in black and white? Literally her question and then the reply
But the “transcript” is coming from the activist-victim that hates the RF. THere is no tape…no one taking down a transcript. How much is lie, exaggeration, hyperbole, or truth…we don’t know. But we know this “victim’s” Twitter history, and her own bigotry.

Just like our Jussie Smollett.

• Heart
  • Angry

VicksterIcon

Chatty Member
Nana Akoua just on Radio 2 - she is a GB News Presenter and is black with African heritage. Totally disagreeing with Sistah Space founder and saying she is racist for only helping African and Caribbean women who have suffered DV! Well done Nana!

• Heart
Reactions: 65

Spring2020

Chatty Member
They deliberately held back the promo for netflix and all their months worth of PR for William and Kate's tour

• Sick
  • Angry

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
I think this Ngozi should be put under the microscope. Seems to me if she is British dressed the way she is isn’t that cultural appropriation? If I was advising the royal family I would say F them and would not support any charity that is not all inclusive. As far as the Harkles I would go scorched earth along the lines of Sherman’s burning of Atlanta. My late ex husband used to say the best defense is a good offense and I think in this case it is. If you look at things through a historical perspective there was a very good reason that the losers entire families would be put to death down to the smallest child ruthless yes but you don’t have to worry about anyone left for the losing side to rally around in the future.
In my opinion it is a form of cultural appropriation. Her parents were from the Caribbean not Africa. I ran this past my husband this morning as he is a black man of Caribbean descent born in Britain. He identifies as British because he's never been to the Caribbean or Africa. He said the last thing he would do is adopt an African name and start wearing African robes because it is an appropriation of a culture he knows little about. In fact he knows no more about African traditions than I do.

• Heart

PurvyPanda

VIP Member
I used to volunteer at my cathedral. During a ticketed event, one of the other volunteers who had been there for 20 years, asked the visitor waiting next in line for her ‘Christian’ name. I was born in 1983 and remember ‘christian name’ commonly being used, and later outmoded and replaced with forename. The women she asked hit the the roof, going on about this being racist and prejudiced. Look around you luv. You’re in a fucking cathedral!!! A lot of the volunteers are of an age and are Christians. Take that on board.
Had this person been reasonable and socially sophisticated, she could have asked herself - ‘well, I am in a cathedral, speaking no doubt to a lady of the Christian faith, who looks to be in her advanced ages. There’s no need to take offence in that. There is no malice or malicious intent behind it.’

This thing of feigning outrage and acting like a victim of some oppressive sinister regime is really weaselly and obnoxious. I have no time for it.
This woman went to that palace hoping to encounter some slight so she could rush to social media and tell her tall tale from her POV. She has jeopardised the integrity of her charity for this.
Is there any particular reason why she couldn’t have realised what this lady was getting at (in a rather clumsy way) regarding her ethnic origin and been the better person and just answered the question.
Also, replying to someone as ‘woman’ is pretty aggressive and doesn’t seem like the mark of a particularly polite person. She shouldn’t be acting like she has the moral high ground here. It sounds like a conversation of two women who are socially inept.

• Heart

CELESTE CROCKETT

VIP Member
So the day William & Kate arrive in the USA we get a photo of Archie, a video she elbowed in on for Invictus and alleged race row at buck House.

William and Catherine just had to sit through a lecture on racism and colonialism from a black preacher

Any one else think this is co ordinated

• Sick
  • Sad

Cassandra333

VIP Member
Tickled me that she wanted the situation treated with 'kindness'. Throwing an 83 year old under the bus on Twitter is not kind. Especially considering all the dangerous people on there.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 64

da1sycha1n

VIP Member
Sorry to jump in after a hiatus from H&M threads.
I just feel this story has come at an all too convenient time, and just so happens to back up why H&M are getting an award- an award they were being criticised for accepting? I mean really? Sorry but it’s all too convenient.
If that conversation happened then that is obviously not right and no one should be subjected repeatedly to questioning that makes them feel uncomfortable, however I have met Ngozi in a professional setting and well, her conduct was not professional or appropriate so having experienced that I can’t help but take whatever she says with a heavy pinch of salt.
after seeing the little clip on the news tonight I got bad vibes then seeing her pal doing the rounds on other channels O would say there is more to this than meets the eye and i.m.o. is deffo been a set up

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 63

wibble

VIP Member
I wonder is smeg has actually boxed herself in somehow. If she goes and accepts the award and references the BP incident they're finished with the royals. But if she goes and doesn't she looks hypocritical. It's all payback for the funeral but as usual they'll fuck it up. I wonder if Reek is cross too because she was PW godmother but not his. Always the Spare
Godparent you say....

Oh no!

Say it ain't so...

Not in Hackney!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart

Wu Tien

Out of interest...

Who has been asked "where are you from?"
Me. All of the time. Latest was on Tuesday afternoon. I had a lovely chat with a woman who was picking up rubbish to put in a bin on the street. (I felt a bit guilty that I didn't think to do that myself.) We chatted about my home town, my accent and the importance of girls' education, particularly in developing countries. A good time was had by both.

And I admit that people's origins are a particular interest of mine, along with their names. I'm not racist; I'm curious about other people.

• Heart

Cassandra333

VIP Member
Thread Title by @TimeForTea2021 Well done!

I may have to come back to do a recap, sorry. You'll need to bear with me again. I'm cuddly so it shouldn't be a hardship.

We had a poll on the last thread, which over 300 people answered.
94 people believe that only smeg will appear at the KerriKKlown Award show.
Neither of them turning up was 2nd choice and both of them going was 3rd choice.
We will wait and see what happens.
Smeg went to some other stupid event yesterday and the photo's are awful/hysterical depending on your point of view.
There's a rumour that Harry will be playing polo on the KKK award day.
There's a rumour that Harry is going to do a series with NF where he leads a group of (ex but real) soldiers to look for various cryptids (? is that the right word?) across America. A sort of Boys Own thing, I guess?
We love our new RF or at least some of us do and we still dislike the harkles. That's pretty unaminous.
The podcast is done and dusted. Of course she had to interview men at the end.
We're all getting a bit touchy on the subject of race and class but isn't that just the history of Britain?
Can't think of anything else, please add stuff that you remember.
In other news Eddie Izzard is not a woman but a seriously offensive misogynist.

Old thread:

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha