Harry & Meghan #268 ArcheSayonara….I’m too big-headed for a Tiara

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Old lady is making small talk. Old lady correctly assumes that the family of the person she is talking to migrated to the UK and shockingly asks where the ladys family originally come from since many British territories had people of colour and the old lady is perhaps trying to narrow it down with a view to making further conversation presumably about that specific country. Lady she is speaking to goes on to say this is racist. Old lady has to quit for the crime of being politely and persistently curious. Fun times.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 58
Serious question - I have always wondered why some Americans introduce / refer to themselves as ‘African Americans’
Surely you would just be American? And do Mexican’s etc say they are Mexican American’s or Asian American’s? Just curious as I have never heard anyone say Asian British or Asian Welsh or African British so I have always wondered is this just something said in America?

Yes. America is the birth country of identity politics.

African Americans want to denote that they are a culmination of different ethnicities from Africa who were brought over during slavery and then formed a different identity, culture and traditions from the one their relatives in Africa have.

Mexican Americans: I have heard the term before, but I don't think it is widespread.

Asian Americans are also the same but a bit different because there was no slavery and this brings together very different Asian cultures into a melting pot which some do not like.

Native Americans are also another group.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Making diversity work is happening in western countries. If Lady Hussey was Lady Tsukumo and the eastern world actually was trying to make diversity work through Immigratio, fair laws, and representation their would still be these complicated social interactions. Some are not fair. Life isn’t fair.

The Western world is trying. The “white” people of Anglo, Scottish, Welsh, Irish and all European descent are NOT magical beings who can figure out how to make this work in less than a generation. We won’t be inclined to figure it out if everytime a “white” person stumbles perhaps with ignorant intention or not then must be publicly shamed, lose their job and everyone associated with them tarred and feathered. Especially an elderly lady who may have all her life been overly inquisitive.

Also the woman who is so shattered runs a domestic violence charity. If she can’t hold her own with an 83 year old in a rude conversation I don’t know if she deserves the King’s patronage cash.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
We both have what what I think are called RP accents.
Well that's your answer.
This friend of yours isn't complaining that she's not seen as British, but that she's not seen as middle class.
With all the expected deference that comes with being middle class.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
To be honest it doesn’t surprise me that Sistah Space were involved - this is the same charity that let Hackney Council refurb their space in Clapton and then suddenly decided it wasn’t safe probably because they had more exposure in Hackney Central lol. When let’s be honest, most of Hackney is an unsafe shithole.

I do think it’s a bit much to keep pushing to find out someone’s background if they don’t want to tell. But really old women are just hella nosey like that. All my patients in the community always wanted to know my business lol.
My mom is like this wanting to know every last detail about people. She also doesn't know when to let stuff go sometimes, and she's not too much younger than Lady Hussey. And she is anything but stupid or racist. I also think that once people understand more details about Shola's protoge here this will get memory-holed by most people except SS and a few others in the usual gang of idiots.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Excellent post. My husband is a black man born in Britain. If someone asks him where he's from he says London. He only gets irritated if they persist with something like 'where are you really from?' because that intimates that they don't believe him based on the colour of his skin, because he's got a London accent.

Thank you. Sometimes I'm quite afraid to comment on these things for fear I might accidentally use an offensive term 🤦 our history etc books are quite outdated (according to woke standards) in some ways.

That's exactly the thing though - it's natural to be curious, but when the questioning crosses the line into intrusion/the asker's bias becomes apparent, that's where the trouble begins. The obvious assumptions are so irritating.

"Oh are you a Sikh? You look like one. Why can't you speak Punjabi properly? Why do you speak English? Do you have an English ancestor? No but you should find out where your ancestors are from. You look like you're from XYZ area." Sikhism is a religion. There are Sikhs in all continents. Many aren't of Indian descent. The question is absolutely illogical to me. My parents are convent-educated and had a British educational connection, which I did too. Finding my origins is something I would love to do too, but isn't wise in the current scenario, and you would be amongst the first to try to kill me for having my roots elsewhere, so no, thank you.

There's always a lot more going on on the same lines. All of this is when I'm living in the region to which my ancestors belonged FFS. 🤦 Can imagine what anyone who stands out even a little bit would feel like.

It is the fact they are framed. MAYBE a photo of themselves in amongst any welcome packs etc, but it’s the fact it is framed.
I did see The Body Language Guy show a tweet from shouty Shola from April which had Edward and Sophie gifting a framed photo. I don’t know is a thing the royals do, but it’s a bit weird tbh.
That zoom in lens of her at the Polo is a bit random as well. Why not a proper portrait photo if she really must. Also, it confirms that the photos at the polo were set up by her and she owns the copyright to them for her to now be distributing them at this event.

Oh definitely it's weird as hell. If she's distributed them, it shows her delusions of grandeur and basically being MegTotallyNuts. If it's her fans, it shows their level of derangement. Neither is a good situation, but there are sooooo many people like them. I guess I've encountered so many of them that this seems quite normal (in the sense of being widespread) to me 😂

The royals handing out photos makes sense too - though they give out professional (-level) portraits done up nicely. Proper souvenirs that one would otherwise pay for. I've only heard of them giving framed portraits to dignitaries they receive/visit, especially to members of royal families related to them (HMTQ had some framed portraits on one of her tables, I think). Makes sense in that they wouldn't share personal gifts with the world and this would be a nice keepsake (and we don't know maybe there are sweet messages on the back).

Don't know what Sophie and Edward were doing. Maybe they'd signed some on request?

I was laughing to realise the frames contained the actual Times cover 😂😂😂 Just the portrait would have still been a bit better. This was so tacky. And that polo photo. If this was Smegsy's doing, she doesn't learn, does she? 😂 And if this was the sugars, then that's how they like her? Really? Goes to show their taste is good in name only 😂 (bad pun, I know, but their sense of anything is bad too)

Reactions: 19
As another tattler said upthread, we only have one side one version of the conversation.

Very very odd that this and the Neil Basu of the Met comments appear within hours of each other and more strange, hours before PW lands in Boston.

With my tin hat on, sometimes,I think there are bigger forces at play

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 60
The thing that gets me is that it's supposed to be about harmony. Not creating division based on the past.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
My son's girlfriend is black and is highly insulted when someone calls her African-American. She will proudly tell you that she is a Dutch citizen from the island of St Maarten.... She is neither American nor African although of African descent.....

You know what they say about assuming.. it makes an ass of you and me! 😝

• Heart
Reactions: 33
But the woman clearly didn’t want to have that conversation so it would have been better if Lady Susan had not persisted.
Agreed. I’m sure she was being interested in the persons heritage to make conversation but it shouldn’t have gone forward once the person said they were British.
however - isn’t it easy to get in the papers if you accuse a royal of racism. Lady Susan should have retired years ago, as she’s in her 80s.

Reactions: 20
To all our Aussie mates

Well done. Brilliant and through to the final 16.

Lovely Aussies and well deserved😆😆😆

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Old lady is making small talk. Old lady correctly assumes that the family of the person she is talking to migrated to the UK and shockingly asks where the ladys family originally come from since many British territories had people of colour and the old lady is perhaps trying to narrow it down with a view to making further conversation presumably about that specific country. Lady she is speaking to goes on to say this is racist. Old lady has to quit for the crime of being politely and persistently curious. Fun times.
As another tattler said upthread, we only have one side one version of the conversation.

Very very odd that this and the Neil Basu of the Met comments appear within hours of each other and more strange, hours before PW lands in Boston.

With my tin hat on, sometimes,I think there are bigger forces at play
Exactly my thoughts. Let’s hope W&C can ride above it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
610BB022-4064-4468-857C-3F44F29B23BD.jpeg

Imagine using that as your zoom name. Like you’re a proper public figure who means something 🙄

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
There is a definite psyops campaign coming from Sussex camp to disrupt Wills and Kate's Earthshot tour and I think they have been planning it for months there is too much tit going down literally on the eve and day of the visit for it to be a coincidence.
Agree 100% and there's likely more to come 🤢

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
I don't mean to cause offence and excuse my ignorance but what is a RP accent?
It means Received Pronunciation or is sometimes referred to as BBC English i.e we pretty much have accentless accents if you know what I mean. I suppose some would call them middle class 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 11
It;s a shame that all conversations at these events aren't recorded. I wonder if it;s another case of recollections may vary!
I hope there was someone else there who can dispute exactly what was said.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.