Harry & Meghan #268 ArcheSayonara….I’m too big-headed for a Tiara

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agree 100% and there's likely more to come 🤢
The race baiting game, it's all getting bleeping ridiculous now imagined slights are profitable for the accuser and humiliating for the poor bloody fool that asks an innocent question, pissed off with aggressive people with a bad attitude.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
I’m not British but Californian and have met a number of British people over the years and their is a big difference in the accent of someone from Liverpool and London or I think it is the Lake area? Just liked there is a huge difference between a New England and southern accent or Texas drawl or Oklahoman twang or Minnesota wisconsin accents
Yes, and there are very distinct differences in accent within accents.
And often those differences relate to very specific things... like class, social status, immigration (internal and external) etc.
America has much the same, though Americans tend to deny it.

It's a "somewhere" vs "anywhere" thing.

Reactions: 18
Well that's your answer.
This friend of yours isn't complaining that she's not seen as British, but that she's not seen as middle class.
With all the expected deference that comes with being middle class.
What? How on earth do you come to that conclusion? That’s not what my friend thinks at all. And I think she knows her mind better than you do as you’ve never met her and know. nothing about her. And what’s this about the middle classes expecting deference? I can honestly say I don’t expect deference from anybody. Why should I?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Good point. Any reputable journalist would highlight the fact she has made claims against RF before.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 41
The thread on this issue in t'other place is pretty irrational, Lady Susan should be removed from the face of this earth ASAP apparently. Was she insensitve? yes. Is there a potential agenda? Yes. Is she 83, rich, white, been in royal circles for years, with potentially some perceptions based around that? Yes.

Reactions: 17
The race baiting game, it's all getting bleeping ridiculous now imagined slights are profitable for the accuser and humiliating for the poor bloody fool that asks an innocent question, pissed off with aggressive people with a bad attitude.
Times change. Things that were once acceptable no longer are and social media has made it easier for every misstep whether accidental or intentional to be globally publicised. Unfortunately some, particularly older people, find it hard to keep pace with the changing environment and thus, like Lady Susan, are prone to step on the numerous social “landmines”.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
i didnt realise there was a rave thread for these pair, this one is No 268, the rave one is No 2 :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I had been looking over the past week to see if they had a second thread as the first one had a 1,000 posts. My time this morning they were still on the first and over 1,000.
So they have finally got to number 2 (he he).

I wonder if they will get more traffic if twatter gets uncomfortable. I suppose there is still fb and insta.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Serious question - I have always wondered why some Americans introduce / refer to themselves as ‘African Americans’
Surely you would just be American? And do Mexican’s etc say they are Mexican American’s or Asian American’s? Just curious as I have never heard anyone say Asian British or Asian Welsh or African British so I have always wondered is this just something said in America?
Actually if you really want to be accurate and geographically inclusive all United states people and Canadians and Mexicans and Brazilians venezualians Columbian Peruvians etc are Americans since America is a continent 🤭🤭🤭🤣🤣🤭🤭really irritates a lot of people when you point that out 😃😆😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: 20
The thread on this issue in t'other place is pretty irrational, Lady Susan should be removed from the face of this earth ASAP apparently. Was she insensitve? yes. Is there a potential agenda? Yes. Is she 83, rich, white, been in royal circles for years, with potentially some perceptions based around that? Yes.
This is my biggest problem with online interaction and social media. The lack of nuance. Everything has to be either totally bad or totally good. There’s zero sense of proportion. Do I think Lady Susan was wrong to ask the questions she did? Yes. Do I think she should be branded a malicious racist and hounded and cancelled by the Twitterati? Definitely not. The woman is elderly and she put her foot in it. She apologised and resigned. That should be an end to it.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Excellent post. My husband is a black man born in Britain. If someone asks him where he's from he says London. He only gets irritated if they persist with something like 'where are you really from?' because that intimates that they don't believe him based on the colour of his skin, because he's got a London accent.
I don't understand why someone would ask where someone is from, other than meaning in the UK, if they have a British accent. My assumption would be that they were born here if they have a British accent.

Reactions: 24
What? How on earth do you come to that conclusion? That’s not what my friend thinks at all. And I think she knows her mind better than you do as you’ve never met her and know. nothing about her. And what’s this about the middle classes expecting deference? I can honestly say I don’t expect deference from anybody. Why should I?
You've just said your accent is middle class... and presumably since you say her accent is PR too, then she is middle class.
And now you are going to pretend that the middle class don't expect deference.
How very PLU.
Pass the fish knives Norman...

• Haha
Reactions: 11
And this whole thing overshadowed this tear jerker:

That’s such a lovely moment. Let’s hope everyone sees that, remembers Sophie’s attending the sexual violence summit, Camilla hosting the domestic violence conference, watches KCIII on TV tonight saving Dumfries House creating jobs and opportunities, and enjoys the Wales’ glitz and positivity of Earthshot!

The real RF achievements should speak for themselves and not be allowed to be overshadowed by a single person’s misstep providing fodder for sugary critics.

It feels to me like we’re in a new era of the RF achieving genuinely transformative things, turning people’s lives around. But there’s this negative crowd who only want to hark back to the days when BP could rightly be criticised for being pretty out of touch. They seem intent on acting like the monarchy is still stuck in the dark ages when actually I think a bit of a quiet revolution is going on. It’s not cream teas and plaque unveiling anymore - they’re taking on gritty hard subjects and doing real good. It’s such a shame Sparry and Andrew have caused embarrassment and Smeg has stirred up such venom at a time when actually a lot of credit is due, particularly to the royal women.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
It isn't about being British.
It's a short-hand way of asking who you know.
It's no different to asking what university you went to.

But for whatever reason some committee somewhere decided it was racist - and thus it is.
And people have been conditioned to think it is.
Umm no, how is asking "where are you from" and then badgering then to divulge their ethnic origin the same as asking someone which university they went to? That part of the conversation should have ended when she said she was from London.

I have no idea if she's exaggerating what happened, but it's unacceptable to be harangued into answering where you are from, if the person asking won't accept your first answer.

I'm racially ambiguous, not white, have very few links to my country of racial origin, am British born and raised, identify as British, and always dread the 'where are you from' question. A white person with a British accent wouldn't be asked this question, so why am I? It invalidates my entire upbringing and history, and makes me feel like an alien and not accepted.

I do give a pass to elderly people asking me this question, however. And I wouldn't go running to Twitter if this had happened to me. Ngozi clearly has an agenda, but that doesn't mean what was said to her (if it happened) was right, or not that bad.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Bloody hell I'm getting a terrible time on there

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
Thank you. Sometimes I'm quite afraid to comment on these things for fear I might accidentally use an offensive term 🤦 our history etc books are quite outdated (according to woke standards) in some ways.

That's exactly the thing though - it's natural to be curious, but when the questioning crosses the line into intrusion/the asker's bias becomes apparent, that's where the trouble begins. The obvious assumptions are so irritating.

"Oh are you a Sikh? You look like one. Why can't you speak Punjabi properly? Why do you speak English? Do you have an English ancestor? No but you should find out where your ancestors are from. You look like you're from XYZ area." Sikhism is a religion. There are Sikhs in all continents. Many aren't of Indian descent. The question is absolutely illogical to me. My parents are convent-educated and had a British educational connection, which I did too. Finding my origins is something I would love to do too, but isn't wise in the current scenario, and you would be amongst the first to try to kill me for having my roots elsewhere, so no, thank you.

There's always a lot more going on on the same lines. All of this is when I'm living in the region to which my ancestors belonged FFS. 🤦 Can imagine what anyone who stands out even a little bit would feel like.

Oh definitely it's weird as hell. If she's distributed them, it shows her delusions of grandeur and basically being MegTotallyNuts. If it's her fans, it shows their level of derangement. Neither is a good situation, but there are sooooo many people like them. I guess I've encountered so many of them that this seems quite normal (in the sense of being widespread) to me 😂

The royals handing out photos makes sense too - though they give out professional (-level) portraits done up nicely. Proper souvenirs that one would otherwise pay for. I've only heard of them giving framed portraits to dignitaries they receive/visit, especially to members of royal families related to them (HMTQ had some framed portraits on one of her tables, I think). Makes sense in that they wouldn't share personal gifts with the world and this would be a nice keepsake (and we don't know maybe there are sweet messages on the back).

Don't know what Sophie and Edward were doing. Maybe they'd signed some on request?

I was laughing to realise the frames contained the actual Times cover 😂😂😂 Just the portrait would have still been a bit better. This was so tacky. And that polo photo. If this was Smegsy's doing, she doesn't learn, does she? 😂 And if this was the sugars, then that's how they like her? Really? Goes to show their taste is good in name only 😂 (bad pun, I know, but their sense of anything is bad too)
On the table gift framed pictures of Smeg, if it was the sugars giving them, there's 10 to a table. So whatever you spend, multiply it by 9, 10 if you want to keep one for yourself, or more if you have friends at other tables. Giving gifts at these things gets expensive, even with small stuff. I'm just guessing, but this was probably a group that bought a table together because it was the only way they could afford it and one of them did this on her own. That makes it kind of sad as well as cringe.

But I'm still laughing.

It;s a shame that all conversations at these events aren't recorded. I wonder if it;s another case of recollections may vary!
They're going to have to start recording everything because these accusations will ruin them if they don't.... is someone making a thread??

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.