Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

toninottony

VIP Member
Serious question - I have always wondered why some Americans introduce / refer to themselves as ‘African Americans’
Surely you would just be American? And do Mexican’s etc say they are Mexican American’s or Asian American’s? Just curious as I have never heard anyone say Asian British or Asian Welsh or African British so I have always wondered is this just something said in America?
Actually if you really want to be accurate and geographically inclusive all United states people and Canadians and Mexicans and Brazilians venezualians Columbian Peruvians etc are Americans since America is a continent 🤭🤭🤭🤣🤣🤭🤭really irritates a lot of people when you point that out 😃😆😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: 20

Vanelope

VIP Member
But the woman clearly didn’t want to have that conversation so it would have been better if Lady Susan had not persisted.
Agreed. I’m sure she was being interested in the persons heritage to make conversation but it shouldn’t have gone forward once the person said they were British.
however - isn’t it easy to get in the papers if you accuse a royal of racism. Lady Susan should have retired years ago, as she’s in her 80s.

oogling

VIP Member
Now I have to mention that I often read Tattle in bed with Mr HL snoring like a trouper beside me. So when I come across a video I can't/shouldn't listen to it until the morning otherwise his nibs would wake up sharply.

Hmph. So, my lovelies, as I become more impatient with age, can anyone briefly, very kindly, if you have time, provide me with a one liner recap, ever so please. ☺
You can turn your sound down, click on it and put subtitles on in settings!

• Heart
  • Haha

Ametrine

VIP Member
It isn't about being British.
It's a short-hand way of asking who you know.
It's no different to asking what university you went to.

But for whatever reason some committee somewhere decided it was racist - and thus it is.
And people have been conditioned to think it is.
Umm no, how is asking "where are you from" and then badgering then to divulge their ethnic origin the same as asking someone which university they went to? That part of the conversation should have ended when she said she was from London.

I have no idea if she's exaggerating what happened, but it's unacceptable to be harangued into answering where you are from, if the person asking won't accept your first answer.

I'm racially ambiguous, not white, have very few links to my country of racial origin, am British born and raised, identify as British, and always dread the 'where are you from' question. A white person with a British accent wouldn't be asked this question, so why am I? It invalidates my entire upbringing and history, and makes me feel like an alien and not accepted.

I do give a pass to elderly people asking me this question, however. And I wouldn't go running to Twitter if this had happened to me. Ngozi clearly has an agenda, but that doesn't mean what was said to her (if it happened) was right, or not that bad.

• Heart
  • Wow

TheCutiePatootie

VIP Member
Serious question - I have always wondered why some Americans introduce / refer to themselves as ‘African Americans’
Surely you would just be American? And do Mexican’s etc say they are Mexican American’s or Asian American’s? Just curious as I have never heard anyone say Asian British or Asian Welsh or African British so I have always wondered is this just something said in America?

Yes. America is the birth country of identity politics.

African Americans want to denote that they are a culmination of different ethnicities from Africa who were brought over during slavery and then formed a different identity, culture and traditions from the one their relatives in Africa have.

Mexican Americans: I have heard the term before, but I don't think it is widespread.

Asian Americans are also the same but a bit different because there was no slavery and this brings together very different Asian cultures into a melting pot which some do not like.

Native Americans are also another group.

• Heart

ChaoticArtist

VIP Member
It's Winston Churchill's Birthday today and the Nutty old slapper with the bad attitude and foul gob.

I knew I was meant for great things since the the great Winston shares my Birthday, oh well another nail in my bleeding coffin 74 today!!

Gods waiting room now has a seat for me!

Happy birthday! Always remain the Nana with the most awesome vocabulary! Love you so so much! ♥🤗♥

No wonder I was craving dessert so badly today - it's a happy happy day! 🎂🎉 :m

Sooo Cat lady has just left She Loves Me ( can't blame Her ) And she says I perfect to rehome one of thier cats I have asked Her to enquire about the lovely Ginger Tom I have set my heart on , I am over the flipping Moon :m:m:m:m😁

Oh yay double happy day!! 🎉♥🤗 I love ginger toms! 😸

Soon you'll be covered in scratches too! ♥

• Heart

Amelia99

VIP Member
But does that mean it's asked with malevolent purpose, or is it simply a way of making conversation? Kenya, oh yes, we lived there for years.... More interesting than Hackney!!
Yes, like I said in my post, the person asking may not mean to be racist but, nevertheless, asking a black person with a British accent where they’re from just makes them feel like they are not seen as properly British and that can be upsetting and insulting. I just think it’s better not to go there. If the black person initiates the discussion by mentioning in conversation that their parents or grandparents etc were from Africa or The West Indies etc then it’s fine to discuss it. But a white person asking a British black person where they’re from is frequently not going to go down well.

• Heart

VioletButterfly

VIP Member
Basu has an axe to grind, he was unsuccessful in his application for a top job this year. He also tried to silence a journalist and restrict press freedom. Wouldn't trust him an inch.
Plus, he pats himself on the back announcing he’s “woke”. Sounds like Burnout and sour grapes To me. I don’t believe she was targeted for being…black?

• Sick