Harry & Meghan #265 Now is the winter of our discount Duke

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many thanks to @DanDanTheIceCreamMan for the new thread title

Previous fred

Thank you to those who posted excerpts from The Crown.

A little quiet from Cali - just PR crap pumping out
Podcasts are reducing in the ratings - to B or not to B was basically this weeks whinge-a-thon

We filled in time by finding out Spirit Animals (I will try and do a tally of how many of each animal we have amongst us)

Thanks to everyone for posting funny items, news articles, twitter comments, YT clips and transcripts from podcasts etc.
We are a great, supportive and foul mouthed bunch of wonderful odd bods - we have the best fred on tattle 😘

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
oooh thanks for new thread and fab title.

I was just about to post in the old thread and it closed.

Was going to quote the post with the pics of Major Johnny Thompson and say, oooooh he has medals.
Bet he earned his.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
OK I know when I have a thought I should probably let it go like a helium balloon or a kidnapping victim, but here goes... Folks... read @Shushex's summaries if you want to know what happens on The Crown and you won't need to watch the show. I wish I had. The thread closed before I was able to post so I copied over to this one.

so the rest of the season is going downhill from now on. it's like a plunge, but while going at 0.01 km/h.

cold opening: HM going to the Ruby (?) Jubilee reception where she gave her annus horribilis speech.

episode starts with Margaret, waking up, having her tea, doing things, all that to the sound of her being a guest on the BBC radio for music hour or something, can't be bothered. She receives a letter from Peter Townsend to invite her to a reception for HMS Vanguard crew. she attends, meets with Townsend, and he asks to meet her again to return each other's correspondences. Then, Townsend confesses to Margaret that he has a terminal disease. All this was stretched to the maximum of time with doing a play-by play exhaustive recap montage of their love story from season one. i. mean, i know money it tight if you go throwing it on harkles, but WTF Netflix?

meanwhile, TQ has her 3 children complain about their respective marriages and love life, and HM is extra hard on Charles. Anne decides to take matters (and Commander Lawrence) into her own hands and lands him a kiss in public. HM is shown to be conflicted by the situation, then, as if things weren't bad enough, there's the fire at Windsor. The fire subplot took 2 minutes, say 3, at most, instead of a couple of episodes, as one would think such event might take (happily, no one died, as i understood from further reading). then Margaret opens her heart to HM and tells her to at least give Anne permission to remarry and not have her live in regret, same as Margaret did.

QM sees HM before the Jubilee reception and berates her for showing human feelings, and PP comes to her defence and expresses his support and admiration. keep this thought in mind, because this is the last time PP is to be portrayed in a good light this season, and, my prediction, for the rest of the series.

HM gives her speech.

The end.

well: just two thoughts: this has been an episode, sure, of a series of the audio-visual form of entertainment. yes. nice music, some nice cinematography, only one can take so much human tableaux. i whatsapped the bulshitometer, but it left me on read.

i still love Lesley Manville, so she must be doing something right. Imelda is visually a convincing HM, but at this rate, they might have used a CGI of the real HM, it would have been more human.
  • There is way too much time watching people sitting around doing nothing in this show. They got Timothy Dalton to play Peter Townsend and all he does is sit around writing, whistling, and this plot thread doesn't go anywhere. What Margaret says to the queen could have been done without him appearing at all. Add this to the stack of criminal charges for the showrunners.
  • I can't see the Princess Royal having the conversation about marrying Tim Lawrence like a teenage girl.
  • The guy playing Prince Andrew looks like Frankenstein's monster. He is badly cast and the hair makes him look terrible. Like it or not, Andrew was hot when he was young and this guy has his merits but not in that hair.
  • I never believed for one second that Andrew wasn't just as guilty as Sarah was of screwing around, nor that he even cared. Making him look like a victim here was a mistake. There's also very little impact because they wasted time showing people sitting around when they could have SHOWN Andrew's humiliation rather than telling it. This could have also set him up for his fall later on.
  • Again with Andrew, a missed opportunity with the Windsor fire. He was there helping to put it out but this was never addressed in the episode. The symbolism of the royal family being unable to put out a fire and they completely missed it-- yeah, I'm stacking more charges here. I'm not a professional and I can figure this out. Why can't they?
  • On the QM scolding the Queen-- Sometimes I wish someone would tell my mom to shut up, too.

CHARLPAX!

Cold opening: Charles is having a dinner party and is whinging about his lack of purpose to his toady guests, who are there for the wine, not the whine (his words!). he retires and calls Camilla to ask her about an upcoming speech he will deliver and... they are shown to genuinely enjoy talking about linguistics and language politics and such boring stuff that even I, a cunning... polyglot (haaaa! got you there!) might roll my eyes to. unbeknown to them, their conversation is recorded by an amateur radio operator who goes on to sell it to the Daily Mirror. the editors decide not to publish, so they don't break up the Royal marriage.

Skip three years forward. HM has an audience with Diana and Charles, and then Mr. Major announces their separation. the RF start the Way Ahead Group (WAG - lol) to "modernise" the Monarchy. Charles and Camilla exchange opinions on the matter. cut back to the committee and Charles suggesting the Monarchy funding itself and amending the LoS so that it includes all heirs of female persuasion. he goes on to promote his ideas of streamlined monarchy and focus and more involvement on social issues, education and ecology. am i still on Netflix? HM is expressing her admiration for Charles and she seems to agree with him.

Charles is informed that the tape recording is going to be published now that he's officially separated from Diana. then they recreate the discussion... very tastefully, interposed with the various characters' reaction to reading about it in the papers. Charles falls ill, and Anne comes by and spits facts for 3 minutes straight. she's our POV. she's all of us, wanting to take a big-ass paella to Charles and slap him awake with it.

The WAG reunite and PP goes on to berate Charles and belittle and humiliate him in front of them. he then asks Charles whether he could remind the comittee of the Royal Regiment of Wales' motto, which Charles recites in Welsh (that's it! i'm a fangirl of Charles... erm... from episode 5 of season 5 of the Crown). PP throws Charles out of the meeting. Charles then goes on to form his own parallel court with young diverse professionals. then, agrees to the Dimbleby interview. although sympathetic, Charles manages to put his foot in his mouth and unleashes hell on Camilla (poor woman is a saint! not only she was thrown under the bus after the tampax leak, now she's thrown out of her home)

the rest of the episode is gushing over Charles' Prince Trust and their achievements, honourable mention of Diana's "revenge dress". and poor Queen Cammie, seriously, she is a saint, i'm not even marginally ironic. and more Charles gushing via our POV for the episode, the one and only Anne. She is shown to be the link between the old guard and Charles, and is shown to be the only RF member who truly understands and likes Charles.

my critique: i watched the end credits, waiting to see if this episode was sponsored by the Prince's Trust or by the Duchy of Cornwall. bullshitometer texted back, it offered to send me Oprah's private plane to join it for a cumbia party in Bucaramanga.

• Ham radio operators shall inherit the earth because they can't stop turning that dial on the front of the box. Yes, a lot of ham radio guys look a lot like the guy who sold the tape-- he's an Archetype stereotype truth in television. At the time of Tampongate, it was common knowledge among technogeeks that you could listen in on cordless phone calls like this, and every person doing security for the BRF at this time who didn't know it should have been fired for gross incompetence.
  • Philip et al are jumping down Charles's throat for this when ANY of them could have had their calls recorded during an awkward conversation by this guy. They should be thanking God it wasn't the Queen making a gaffe and figuring out how to secure the phones, but O HEAVENS NO we need to dress down the future king at a business meeting in addition to skits on Saturday Night live and front page stories.
  • OMG Anne's wig takes me out of the moment when she's talking to Charles while he's sick in bed. Why do they go out of their way to make her look like a man?
  • But at the end of the episode? Charles good! Him strong like bull! Prince's Trust yay! Anne the Man said so! Also, the credits music was horrid.

last one for today, and this thread, i think...

this one was the hardest to digest. not only because it's a horrible tragic story, but also because... well, HM will say why and i'll try paraphrase her as best i can.

TW: this one episode depicts some dark events, it's about the assassination of the Imperial Family of Russia and their been given a proper Christian burial. i'll try to be as much as an objective narrator as possible.

cold opening: HM George V is presented a letter to approve the bringing of the Russian Imperial Family to safety in England (UK). HM George V passes the letter to HM Queen Mary, and asks for her opinion. the story jumps to Russia, where the Imperial Family are deceitfully lured to their execution.

episode starts with the newfound Russian democracy, and Mr. Major relaying to HM his thoughts of his visit to the Russian Federation and his meeting with Mr Yeltsin. he then emphatically encourages HM to welcome the new Russian President to Buckingham. While in London, the issue of the Romanovs comes up, and so does the issue of their not receiving a proper Christian burial. Yeltsin was the mayor of Yekaterinburg, and responsible of the demolishing of Ipatiev House, where the Imperial Russian Family were executed. thus he is kindly asked to provide the information to find the earthly remains of the Romanovs.

HM and PP travel to Russia, but, they can't lay the Romanovs to rest, because of DNA science: the tsar's earthly remains are too damaged, and the only way he can be properly identified is via mitochondrial "mother" DNA.

PP gives a blood sample (no, no, no, baby, what is you doing!). DNA don't lie. the Romanovs are finally laid to rest.

B plot: PP and his carriage driving friends. PP is extra friendly with Penny, and the latter has a theory, that Empress Alexandra and Mary of Teck had a mean gorls relation, and that Queen Mary didn't want Alexandra in London because she was jealous of her, for landing Nicolai. yes... i want to comment, but fictional HM did that for me.

HM is shown to be both an intellectual and expert of the RF history, she puts Lady Penny's misgivings to rest, while citing (and spitting) facts about the political situation of Europe in WW1. and how granting the tsars of Russia, staunch and open supporters of Germany, azile in UK was a very bad move. then, HM accepts to accompany Lady Penny to the mass and legitimises hers and PP... intellectual relationship.

the episode ends with HM playing with the corgis ❤, while PP looks on, pondering what really matters in a marriage.

Opinions: none.

Cheers, and see you in the next thread/post. Cheers!

• FINALLY... Yeltsin and his tank appear! He's drunk and dancing on the table! THIS is what politics should look like!
  • I'm glad they didn't embellish the reason why George V didn't grant asylum to the Romanovs. Sugars will stick to the jealousy narrative though because that's something THEY would do.
  • NO Philip never give them your DNA! On the other hand... if I could get my hands on that DNA I could breed myself some hot young Greek Snark Knights.... :devilish:
  • I'm not buying Philip complaining about what's been taken from him/what he's given up by marrying the Queen at this stage, and I think this would have been a different conversation.
  • There's really not a lot happening here and the story could have been told in half the time-- that goes for the season overall. At this rate they'll be watching paint dry in Season 6.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Watching The Festival of Remembrance.
And they are showing clips of the Queen.
Blubbing!

Harry..hope you are watching and feeling ashamed

Any other Elephants out there?
Don’t make personal comments.
I am trying to lose weight…but wine and crisps keep calling my name!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
Hearing Her Majesty’s voice again for the first time in a few months floored me then, I knew it’d be emotional but blimey I need a brew! It’s these things that Hazza should be present at and it knocks me sick still that he’s become such an out and out what Freda says!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
And now for everyones favourite smoker (well mine anyway)...

Giving a rendition of "When I am old I shall wear purple"...

And good for her.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
oooh thanks for new thread and fab title.

I was just about to post in the old thread and it closed.

Was going to quote the post with the pics of Major Johnny Thompson and say, oooooh he has medals.
Bet he earned his.
I have just read that he has been promoted to lieutenant colonel 😍

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
No matter what they do, they will never top TRF, she can try all she likes, but she doesn't have the pomp and ceremony behind her, she only has bots and weirdos.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Congrats! All the title suggestions make me laugh, Arche-not-whatever could only dream and not pay enough for such creativity.

As for the Crown, sure e/o is going to react soon, but I’m still not decided on the series, not a fan so far. Anyway, just lurking, hope to be VIP next year (which makes around 40 posts per month, I need to catch up here 🥶😨)

Reactions: 23
Hearing Her Majesty’s voice again for the first time in a few months floored me then, I knew it’d be emotional but blimey I need a brew! It’s these things that Hazza should be present at and it knocks me sick still that he’s become such an out and out what Freda says!
He hasn’t got the time !!! …..he’s on take 4,678 of the audio book of “Spare….the monotone I have become”.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.