Happy Valley #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't see why HV couldn't come back , new cast and new stories. Writing and casting would need to be as good as the first three but I think it's possible
That’s how they ruin a series

Reactions: 28
Super happy they didn’t go down the silly plot twists and big reveals that have been floating around the internet this week.
All the ridiculous ideas people came up with (Neil is TLR’s dad, Nevison is running a people-smuggling ring, Becky was incestuously impregnated by her dad/brother) made me realise that some people fundamentally misunderstood the programme they were watching.
HV is a character-driven drama, and has never used cheap, last-minute gimmicks. It doesn’t need to because it’s not about what happens, it’s about how and why things happen as a result of the flaws and failings of the humans involved.

• Heart
Reactions: 66
Faisal (shameless) & Joanna (looking much better than when we last saw her) on BBC Breakfast now.

Reactions: 3
Omg how did I forget about his mum! So much going on with this show 🙈 . I can't remember who actually murdered her, come to think of it?

Also this is a very minor complaint, but although I loved TLR and Catherine's conversation at the end, I kind of wish they'd shown his reaction when Catherine reminded him what he did to Kirsten and Ann...did he feel any remorse??
---

I reckon Catherine was supposed to die originally but Sarah stepped in, thank god!
Alison’s son, who was the serial killer killing all the prostitutes, killed her

Reactions: 4
I think Sarah Lancashire had input into that last scene at the grave, not the actual ending. She knew so many people would be rooting for Catherine and want to see her get her trip away (and some peace).

There shouldn't be any spin offs or new series for me, it should end as it is - a top ten British drama series. Hats off to Sally Wainwright for writing something so nuanced, complete and realistic. It just exposes how awful so many of the others are, even those lauded as being great. Line of Duty looks distinctly one dimensional in comparison.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Incredible.Knocked it out of the park.Sallie Wainwright has the emotional intelligence to be a psychologist...

The kitchen scene was a masterpiece.
You want to hate him and as soon as he says hiya it's like you cant.😂
Catherine keeps her dry wit and perfect delivery whilst Royce being a textbook psychopath cant empathise with her pain.
The way she left the photo albums out and they were then "waiting for him".
The whole episode served to humanize TLR so you end up feeling sorry for him and the fact he never "stood a chance" whilst honouring Catherine's roaring pain all the same.Her and Siobhan Finneran had a dream dynamic between them,they should pair up in the future.

Also loved the little scenes like Joyce hinting about the cake and Catherine finally wearing bright clothes in that final "golden" scene.10 out of 10.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
It was the only way for it to end! There wouldn’t be any closure if anyone else had died because we would need to see the impact.

Reactions: 7
Interesting no 'bravo' from Jed Mercurio or Russell T Davies.
Did they bravo each other previously?

I think it's fair to say it was a great ending overall. I haven't seen any slating (a lá Line of Duty disappointment)

I think if it's to go any further in the future it will need to be a differently named spin off, so HV still remains an amazing show, and if any spin off does as good, then brilliant, big if it doesn't, it doesn't tarnish the overall HV series, if watching HV in totality

Reactions: 2
I’m very bothered about Catherine trekking off to the Himalayas just as Ryan’s about to do his GCSE’s, although he has Claire still. im glad it ended the way it did (very glad we didn’t see TLR burnt!) but I do think the Joanna/Rob/Faisal storyline didn’t conclude well and I wish they’d elaborated more on that, not just “oh, he didn’t kill his wife but he has got indecent images on his phone so he’s going down anyway”

Reactions: 9

I think it's fair to say it was a great ending overall. I haven't seen any slating (a lá Line of Duty disappointment)

I think if it's to go any further in the future it will need to be a differently named spin off, so HV still remains an amazing show, and if any spin off does as good, then brilliant, big if it doesn't, it doesn't tarnish the overall HV series, if watching HV in totality
I remember Russell T saying ‘lovely people’ to the LOD cast/crew when they won at the NTAs. RTDs twitter account is pretty much inactive and Jed only posts about once a month, so not sure what they’d be expected to contribute.

Reactions: 1
I paused on the text message and think it said a could of messages above ‘when you off to Scotland’ so maybe she’s starting small on her travels 🤣🥰

Reactions: 1

RTD often posts on Insta and sometimes praises other shows. It would have been big of them, given they are the other two big names that spring to mind in UK drama.

Reactions: 5
Finally got chance to watch! I loved that, so so good. So much more realistic than a dramatic violent showdown between them again. I do think Tommy believed he loved Becky, same as he loved ryan, but he’s just not capable of real connections. I did laugh several times at the exchange between TLR and Catherine (you duck off! You’re just not very… bright saying that!) but it was very well written.
There wasn’t much time given to the B storyline but I think that makes sense, it was always background noise to a degree, just part of Catherine’s job.
I did find it strange than ryan didn’t appear again, I thought he’d have made a quick appearance at least.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
RTD often posts on Insta and sometimes praises other shows. It would have been big of them, given they are the other two big names that spring to mind in UK drama.
I do think it’s polite to share some support or well-wishes as would happen in any other workplace when a huge project ties up, but there’s also the fact that unlike HV, LOD’s ending was publicly eviscerated. A lot of what he draws attention to is stuff that flies under the radar a bit so it seems like he spares most posts etc for things that are struggling, and happy valley is def not struggling either for views or praise.

Sally Wainwright isn’t on social media etc and Happy Valley doesn’t have dedicated socials either. Who knows if they chat privately somewhere. I can see the rest of the HV team would appreciate a heartfelt congratulations, but again maybe it’s happened elsewhere. It’s also less than 24h ago! Looking back through the BBC iPlayer’s Instagram, he has liked a fair few Happy Valley-related posts.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.