Happy Valley #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I need a bit of advice! Just started series 1 tonight and love it *but* the scenes where she sees her daughter (dead) are disturbing me entirely.
Long story short I had a nervous breakdown a few years ago and was suicidal. I had ideations of ending my life the way her daughter did and I really struggle with any storylines that involve hanging. I can usually breathe, calm and get through it but these scenes are causing real distress. I’d love to keep watching but I can’t possibly put myself through the scenes. Can anyone let me know if they continue in other episodes or do I just stop now?
That was more like long story long. Apologies xx
They are in a lot of series one. Don’t think there were any in series 2 and there’s one in series 3.

I can understand how upsetting it feels for you so I probably wouldn’t watch.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The last episode was stunning not what I expected.. Oh my gosh when Catherine had given up hope and Becky held her mum. Beautiful, I was in tears.
I like how Sally wrote TLR as what he was a flawed human who never had a chance in life and a fucked up childhood. If TLR was born into a loving household things might have been different for him.
I always felt before this episode TLR was using Ryan to get at Catherine but I realise he actually loved him in his own fucked up way. He was like a child in a grown mans body.

Catherine finally has some peace over Beckys death and it was no longer constantly eating at her. The realisation that Ryan is a lovely young man and it's more nurture Vs biology. I loved how the ending was at Beckys grave as that was the main point of the show for Catherine to come to terms with Beckys death.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Absolutely superb ending and yes it wasn’t very dramatic but it tied all 3 seasons together really nicely (the man trying to set himself on fire from opening of scene 1, TLR trying to set fire to him and Ryan on boat, and also before Tommy set himself on fire she said about not forgetting Gary Gagovski because she nicked him for a public order once and he bit her…which was in opening scene to this series)

I think the rob/Joanna storyline has been wrapped up well as well. They didn’t need to dwell on it too much. Yes rob didn’t kill her, they found indecent images on his phone not because Ryan will have said he noticed him staring at his arse but they will have seized his phone when he was bought in under caution anyway and found pictures when they go through it. So he will go away for a long time for those considering he’s a teacher as well.

Catherine solved the Joanna murder in the last 5 mins speaking to detective superintendent shepherd or whatever he was called. You can see the cogs spinning in his head. They will arrest Faisal for diazepam job, get his DNA and fingerprints and then he will get done for Joanna’s murder because of that so he will be in prison too. It just shows how all these men think they are so slick and clever yet Catherine being the EXCELLENT cop she is gets so much information and intel she is a killer detective. CID would never have figured it out without Catherine’s input at the very end.

And the little girl never takes her coat off as a trauma protection or it’s implied perhaps he was messing with his kids as well or just poppy. And Catherine saying who’s going to look after them now and detective says they’ve got a grandma, ties it all together perfectly because this is how it started, Catherine looking after her grandson. I’m honestly so pleased with the ending, it was really clever and there were a lot of red herrings but Daniel, Richard, Ann etc didn’t need to be featured anymore because it was always about Catherine and Tommy, plus Ryan and Claire. I will rewatch all 3 soon!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I need a bit of advice! Just started series 1 tonight and love it *but* the scenes where she sees her daughter (dead) are disturbing me entirely.
Long story short I had a nervous breakdown a few years ago and was suicidal. I had ideations of ending my life the way her daughter did and I really struggle with any storylines that involve hanging. I can usually breathe, calm and get through it but these scenes are causing real distress. I’d love to keep watching but I can’t possibly put myself through the scenes. Can anyone let me know if they continue in other episodes or do I just stop now?
That was more like long story long. Apologies xx
I’ve only recently re-watched the whole series otherwise I’d watch again and let you know the exact parts to avoid. Hopefully someone else might be able to help - or maybe write to the Beeb and ask them.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Absolutely superb ending and yes it wasn’t very dramatic but it tied all 3 seasons together really nicely (the man trying to set himself on fire from opening of scene 1, TLR trying to set fire to him and Ryan on boat, and also before Tommy set himself on fire she said about not forgetting Gary Gagovski because she nicked him for a public order once and he bit her…which was in opening scene to this series)

I think the rob/Joanna storyline has been wrapped up well as well. They didn’t need to dwell on it too much. Yes rob didn’t kill her, they found indecent images on his phone not because Ryan will have said he noticed him staring at his arse but they will have seized his phone when he was bought in under caution anyway and found pictures when they go through it. So he will go away for a long time for those considering he’s a teacher as well.

Catherine solved the Joanna murder in the last 5 mins speaking to detective superintendent shepherd or whatever he was called. You can see the cogs spinning in his head. They will arrest Faisal for diazepam job, get his DNA and fingerprints and then he will get done for Joanna’s murder because of that so he will be in prison too. It just shows how all these men think they are so slick and clever yet Catherine being the EXCELLENT cop she is gets so much information and intel she is a killer detective. CID would never have figured it out without Catherine’s input at the very end.

And the little girl never takes her coat off as a trauma protection or it’s implied perhaps he was messing with his kids as well or just poppy. And Catherine saying who’s going to look after them now and detective says they’ve got a grandma, ties it all together perfectly because this is how it started, Catherine looking after her grandson. I’m honestly so pleased with the ending, it was really clever and there were a lot of red herrings but Daniel, Richard, Ann etc didn’t need to be featured anymore because it was always about Catherine and Tommy, plus Ryan and Claire. I will rewatch all 3 soon!!!
That's true, and it's true to life. We're not going to see everyone's lives get neatly wrapped up. We leave them where they're at now. Their lives might get better or worse but they're fine for now. Ryan knows what his dad is really like, he and Catherine are reconciled, as are Catherine and Clare. And they all, including Ann, get closure from TLR being dead.

I was also cheering for Tommy during his tussle with the Knezevic Krew. Even though he's an evil bastard, they all were, but he's an evil bastard I'm invested in, and wanted to see come out on top against random villains..even though I knew Tommy was on borrowed time and it was death or jail for him no matter what.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

I totally agree. I love the unwritten bits and we definitely don’t need everything spelling out like we can’t work it out for ourselves (thinking about some American tv dramas here!)

Even the parts where Ryan has explained the conversation he had with TLR to the police, then both C & C referred to it without us needing to see both of them being told & shocked that Ryan was communicating whilst upstairs in Nev’s house. I love that Sally Wainwright doesn’t treat us as idiots. It was absolutely glorious tv. I hope the rest of the world gets to see it.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Just one thing that’s not been mentioned on the Hepworth storyline.
The pharmacy assistant would no doubt be interviewed once Faizal arrested and will be able to link him up to the 2 lads/Knezovics money laundering operation… she reminded us that she’d been paying attention!
completely wraps up all the characters in the series and I love that the Catherine/TLR was what got the focus.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
This made me laugh! Probably sums up a lot of us.

My mum - who's never shown any interest in TLR and claimed he terrified her - turned to me after Tommy said he forgave Catherine and went "aww bless him he's forgiven her that's so nice 🥺" alright mum calm down, he's an actual murdering rapist. funny when Nerd Tommy™ popped up at the window tho behind a sleeping Catherine 🤣

I wasn't sure on the finale at first, but after reading everyone's comments on here, I do like that it was more realistic than a massive TLR vs Catherine shootout or Ryan getting kidnapped. Nice closure for Catherine, I liked that she got the text about TLR's death as she was at Becky's grave. I liked that his death was off-screen too.

Loved the bit where Catherine broke down in tears of relief when she and Claire had the chat about Ryan being a lovely well-adjusted kid, despite his non-traditional upbringing 😭♥

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
I think they could possibly do a spin off maybe a prequel with Becky in it, or a spin off with Ann on CID perhaps, or another police drama that sally writes which is same universe but not connected if you get me

Reactions: 6

This has just made me realise that Sally Wainwright has done that for every series. Because Series 2 starts with the mad sheep rustling story, where the sheep from the Garrs' farm ultimately ends up killing the dogs - which obviously takes on extra meaning after the last two episodes of S2.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Am I a psychopath for feeling sorry for TLR?????
No! I did too. I can't remember what we've been told about TLR's background but I felt a bit sorry for him when he was looking at the photos of Ryan and looking in his bedroom, as he could see how much of a normal, happy, well-adjusted kid Ryan was. I'm guessing TLR's childhood was nothing like this, maybe he grew up in a deprived home and/or his parents were absent/abusive. A lot of serial killers have really fucked up childhoods and it could obviously never excuse their actions, but you do think, wow, they never stood a chance.

Reactions: 15
No! I did too. I can't remember what we've been told about TLR's background but I felt a bit sorry for him when he was looking at the photos of Ryan and looking in his bedroom, as he could see how much of a normal, happy, well-adjusted kid Ryan was. I'm guessing TLR's childhood was nothing like this, maybe he grew up in a deprived home and/or his parents were absent/abusive. A lot of serial killers have really fucked up childhoods and it could obviously never excuse their actions, but you do think, wow, they never stood a chance.
TLRs mum was a sex worker, heroin addict and alcoholic. She's in the 1st series murdered in the second..His father was unknown.

Reactions: 15
TLRs mum was a sex worker, heroin addict and alcoholic. She's in the 1st series murdered in the second..His father was unknown.
Omg how did I forget about his mum! So much going on with this show 🙈 . I can't remember who actually murdered her, come to think of it?

Also this is a very minor complaint, but although I loved TLR and Catherine's conversation at the end, I kind of wish they'd shown his reaction when Catherine reminded him what he did to Kirsten and Ann...did he feel any remorse??
---

If that ending was Sarah's idea, I wonder what Sally had originally written?
I reckon Catherine was supposed to die originally but Sarah stepped in, thank god!

Reactions: 4
I think they brought it back to Catherine’s grief which has been a huge part of it. I can see why Sarah Lancashire chose that ending. I found it very moving and showed Sarah Lancashire and James Norton at their best.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Absolutely bawled my eyes out in the last few minutes. I’m so bleeping happy with that ending. She finally found peace. Absolutely fitting finale and brilliantly done. The kitchen scene with Tommy was just magic. Super happy they didn’t go down the silly plot twists and big reveals that have been floating around the internet this week. I think it was perfect

“we’ve had another bit of a tussle.. I won” proper cracked me up. I love those moments of humour amongst the darkness

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.