Great British Bake Off 2021 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Out of all the tv bakers I dislike Nadias recipes the most as she goes for weird combinations of ingredients which do not appear appealing

Also do you remember on the spoof bbc programme - ( can’t remember the name but the man from Downton Abbey was in it ) one of the meeting rooms at the bbc was called’ Nadia Hussein ‘ 😂 like she ticked all their boxes back when bake off was a bbc flagship programme
W1A was the spoof BBC mockumentary. Was kinda great. They had Nadiya Hussein and Mary Berry as meeting rooms. Which is very BBC.

Reactions: 2
Yeah that’s it - the room naming tickled me as they used to say ‘we are meeting in Mary Berry ‘ with no trace of irony .

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I completely agree. Although I was Team Tamal that year, I did like Nadiya on the show. However I've gone completely off her in the last few years. She has an opinion on absolutely everything, and there's not a bandwagon out there that she won't jump on. Being honest about it, I don't think she was a great baker. That cake she made for the queen was terrible.
Glad it’s not just me 😊 the Queens cake was a disaster

Reactions: 5
I’m still pissed about it too. Maybe the fact that Rahul wasn’t ever that marketable has made them skew it? Thing is loads of people would have tuned into to juergens bob ross baking show. Perhaps they didn’t realise how popular he would have been? Is the whole show filmed before it’s even shown?
Yes it is all filmed over the summer.
I think they completely underestimated how popular Juergen would be.
I bet they were thinking about ratings for the final and quiet, gentle older Juergen did not fit the bill. So Paul felt comfortable being unkind and sneery.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I actually don’t mind that they kind of type cast the series, much more interesting than a whole bunch of young good looking people. I always have a soft spot for the oldies even though I know they won’t make it to the final. But I still would like to hope there is an element of talent to getting to the final, at the end of the day they won’t even win anything?

I was thinking on this, and I've watched GBBO for a decade now and I think it may be time to end it. My annoyance at Paul: his dislikes meaning no one can experiment with them - matcha etc, this weird ass reverence for his handshake like he's a sought-after maiden on the dance floor - it bugs me to no end. I was never Paul's biggest fan, but I watched him be weird around young women like Ruby Tandoh and them get raked over the coals while his star only seemingly rose. This show went from a place I could just chill and watch something homey for an hour to the Paul Hollywood show.

I can't finish watching the semi-final, this has become a farce in my opinion. GBBO was praised for being not like the cutthroat American cooking shows, but I feel like the move to C4, or the popularity, has shifted that tremendously.

Reactions: 21
I was thinking on this, and I've watched GBBO for a decade now and I think it may be time to end it. My annoyance at Paul: his dislikes meaning no one can experiment with them - matcha etc, this weird ass reverence for his handshake like he's a sought-after maiden on the dance floor - it bugs me to no end. I was never Paul's biggest fan, but I watched him be weird around young women like Ruby Tandoh and them get raked over the coals while his star only seemingly rose. This show went from a place I could just chill and watch something homey for an hour to the Paul Hollywood show.

I can't finish watching the semi-final, this has become a farce in my opinion. GBBO was praised for being not like the cutthroat American cooking shows, but I feel like the move to C4, or the popularity, has shifted that tremendously.
I dislike Paul immensely and want him gone, but I feel like I'm the only one who's never detected anything out of the ordinary about his interactions with the supposedly "young hot" girls on the show? I just don't see it.

If Ruby stood out for the wrong reasons it was because of her constant hand-wringing lip-biting "star baker - who me?" method. I don't see it with Chrystelle either even though he's been nice to her - he was the same "sweet" way with Rahul on his season and I don't think he fancied him.

Reactions: 14
I dislike Paul immensely and want him gone, but I feel like I'm the only one who's never detected anything out of the ordinary about his interactions with the supposedly "young hot" girls on the show? I just don't see it.

If Ruby stood out for the wrong reasons it was because of her constant hand-wringing lip-biting "star baker - who me?" method. I don't see it with Chrystelle either even though he's been nice to her - he was the same "sweet" way with Rahul on his season and I don't think he fancied him.
No I never see it either. He’s highly, highly objectionable in many ways but I don’t get letch (on screen).

Reactions: 8
I only watched the first episode of this series, just didn't get in to it. And have really struggled with the last couple of series.

Having not watched this series, turns out I don't miss it at all. There was a time I was obsessed with it, didn't miss an episode, tweeted along with it. It changed on Channel 4 and it just wasn't the same. And I just like it less and less each series since the move.

Reactions: 7
I only watched the first episode of this series, just didn't get in to it. And have really struggled with the last couple of series.

Having not watched this series, turns out I don't miss it at all. There was a time I was obsessed with it, didn't miss an episode, tweeted along with it. It changed on Channel 4 and it just wasn't the same. And I just like it less and less each series since the move.
Agree I think it seems a more and more produced and contrived since the move, like they always have one eye on selling merch after the show. I was browsing through a couple of bakeoff books in Aldi yesterday looking for a Christmas cake recipe and I couldn't remember anyone from last year, or who won.

I can’t remember who won last year either. I’ve watched so many series diligently but this year has really left me feeling quite down about it all 😂 I guess because it was a bit of happy place for me. I 100% get vibes from Paul Hollywood. Maybe I’ve known too many men like him but yeah, definitely Letchy. I think he’s toned it down on screen and is just giving off his arrogant vibes with a letch undercurrent

Reactions: 5
I get arrogant vibes from Paul.
Not lecherous ones.

He definitely fancies himself.

And leaving Juergen out of the handshakes was just spiteful.

And he looks stupid in those too tight and tapered jeans.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I get arrogant vibes from Paul.
Not lecherous ones.

He definitely fancies himself.

And leaving Juergen out of the handshakes was just spiteful.

And he looks stupid in those too tight and tapered jeans.
And get your hands out of your pockets Paul, it looks disrespectful and rude. Smug superior dollop

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I gave up halfway through this series. I didn't particularly warm to anyone (apart from Jürgen, of course) but I just felt a bit bored by it this time.

I used to love the technical bakes when they'd have to do things like Jaffa Cakes or Fondant Fancies. Things we all know but turn out to be quite fiddly and challenging for the bakers.

Reactions: 8
And get your hands out of your pockets Paul, it looks disrespectful and rude. Smug superior dollop
Oh goodness me, yes!
I also hate how Prue seems to defer to him.
I know he was with the show from the beginning, but FFS, Prue's books and training schools have taught millions of people the basics of cookery for years!
She's like a foundation stone of domestic science education.

She should have shaken Juergen's hand and blown a raspberry at Paul.

Reactions: 25
Oh goodness me, yes!
I also hate how Prue seems to defer to him.
I know he was with the show from the beginning, but FFS, Prue's books and training schools have taught millions of people the basics of cookery for years!
She's like a foundation stone of domestic science education.

She should have shaken Juergen's hand and blown a raspberry at Paul.
That's actually a really good point. When the history of cooking/baking is written who will feature? The woman whose cookery schools have taught millions world wide or the Scouse wide boy who got lucky on a reality TV show?

Reactions: 11
That's actually a really good point. When the history of cooking/baking is written who will feature? The woman whose cookery schools have taught millions world wide or the Scouse wide boy who got lucky on a reality TV show?
Hilarious that both Mary Berry and Prue Leith have Damehoods for services to cooking and he has the Hollywood Handshake! It's actually quite offensive that Prue defers to him even though she is basically better than him. Like when men mansplain your own job to you!

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Really liked Crystelle to being with. But her being constantly shocked at everything is getting on my nerves. Maybe she's trying to be modest but I'm sure she knows she's a good Baker by now!

Really liked Crystelle to being with. But her being constantly shocked at everything is getting on my nerves. Maybe she's trying to be modest but I'm sure she knows she's a good Baker by now!
Yes I try not to get irritated by her but blimey she is irritating. The wide open mouth and hands clutching her face.
I'm not sure if I care who wins tbh - probably Giuseppe but my heart isn't in it any more.
A meanness and cynicism has crept into the programme.
Plus Paul obviously getting the deciding vote over Prue makes her presence a bit irrelevant which should not be the case.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.