Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Dianne

Chatty Member
Prue should have gone ahead and given Jurgen a handshake! She’s not second to Paul. The hand shakes have always made me recoil anyway. Really inflates Paul’s ego.

I think in this case they should have sent them all through to the final. They do things like that on Masterchef when they genuinely think everyone should go through to the next round.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

Mariamariamariarose

Juergen was hands down better than Giuseppe in both the technical and the show stopper. Paul absolutely judged Juergen more harshly.

And crystelle, you dedicate a bake to your 50,000 grannies every week. Give it up

Not sure I can even watch it next week. Never been so bitterly disappointed

Have some minor GBBO tea… met someone who works on the show who said that whoever won was being difficult…. ☕

• Wow
Reactions: 38

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
It's really nice to see how much love Juergen is getting online, especially on both the Bake Off Instagram account and his own account ❤

Look at Rahul's comment 😢

Screenshot_20211116-232400_Instagram.jpg

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 37

Clover123

VIP Member
HALLELUJAH! I would have been absolutely raging if crystelle won, what a relief to see her pouring a metric ton of oil onto her foccacia, how did she not notice it wasn't right?!

So glad Giuseppe won but I do think that was a very bad finale- no-one could make a carrot cake?! The technical was super basic... and the showstopper was okay but just underwhelmed me. They desperately need to shake things up for next year.

I'd rather watch Giuseppe and Jurgen bake on a road trip all around Europe!

Reactions: 37

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Did anyone else notice Chigs at the end of the technical, looking at Giuseppe's buns while loudly pointing out "They look burnt". Chill the fuck out Gordon Ramsey and think of that shit heap of a technical you presented last week that pretty much melted on the table. You should gone home for that instead of poor Jurgen.

• Haha
Reactions: 36

NonDairyQueen

VIP Member
Totally agree! Her opinion should be just as valid as Paul’s and Juergen should have definitely had a handshake!! I think Paul was intimidated by juergens skills and the fact he is so loved! X
I wish they would tell him to stop the handshakes. They have taken on too much significance and are mainly about stroking Paul's ego now, as if a handshake from him is equal to Star Baker or something.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

HairyWeeTerrier

VIP Member
Justice has been served. Wondering if he was branded difficult because he went back to Milan instead of joining in with the road trip. quite right to go home to his Dad instead of pandering to the producers. Well done Giuseppe,

Reactions: 33

Mummy442

VIP Member
I’ve been watching old Bake Off episodes as they’ve been airing on Food Network, and it made me realise how weird the two tier judging system is now. It’s like Prue defers to Paul every time and only his opinion matters? It never used to be like that with Mary.

They need to change it up somehow, so it’s not all about who gets a handshake from Paul, or get some new judges in.
Totally agree! Her opinion should be just as valid as Paul’s and Juergen should have definitely had a handshake!! I think Paul was intimidated by juergens skills and the fact he is so loved! X

Reactions: 30

Smoke_and_Mirrors

Chatty Member
Woke up still pissed about this. It’s the way Paul talks over Prue as well. Paul needs to go.

Yeah chigs is described as a sales manager taking a break to focus on his baking… he was furloughed which somehow makes me mad 😂
Sales manager sounds about right. Who else would bake for about 5 mimutes and then apply to bake off? Oh the confidence of men....

• Haha
Reactions: 30

NonDairyQueen

VIP Member
That's actually a really good point. When the history of cooking/baking is written who will feature? The woman whose cookery schools have taught millions world wide or the Scouse wide boy who got lucky on a reality TV show?
Hilarious that both Mary Berry and Prue Leith have Damehoods for services to cooking and he has the Hollywood Handshake! It's actually quite offensive that Prue defers to him even though she is basically better than him. Like when men mansplain your own job to you!

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I was so disappointed Jurgen went. Fair enough if it was fair - but it just wasn't. I think excluding him from the handshake was just unkind and possibly affected his performance from then on. You could see he was a bit rattled and subdued about it. Noel going on about it can't have helped.
I bet if the programme was 'live' Jurgen would not have gone. Paul would have read the room better and seen how popular Jurgen was (not that it is a popularity contest I know). As it was P seemed to dislike him and probably thought viewers would see him as a bit of an odd bod and no loss.
Very wrong.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

Mariamariamariarose

Complained to offcom, sick of Paul Hollywood always being completely biased to the young and pretty. It’s gross. Last week they had to think about consistent baking and then this week?

• Heart
Reactions: 28

EleanorRigby

VIP Member
That whole episode felt set up and I thought it was extremely telling when Chrystelle thanked Jürgen for how much she'd learned from him. He was so obviously head and shoulders above everyone else.

I often find the decisions frustrating on Bake Off though when older, less photogenic but better bakers are eliminated to leave the young pretty ones. Sadly this is very far from the first time it's happened and it leaves a bad taste. I'm still just as annoyed two days later!

Reactions: 27

bellinibobble

VIP Member
I’ve been watching old Bake Off episodes as they’ve been airing on Food Network, and it made me realise how weird the two tier judging system is now. It’s like Prue defers to Paul every time and only his opinion matters? It never used to be like that with Mary.

They need to change it up somehow, so it’s not all about who gets a handshake from Paul, or get some new judges in.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Stillwater

VIP Member
Juergen giving a lot of love to Noel and Matt on Twitter this morning. I’d say they are very much part of the gang.

I think Chigs just calls a spade a spade which I enjoy, it counteracts everyone else bipping on about their Nan’s dead hyacinth plant.

• Haha
Reactions: 26

bellinibobble

VIP Member
The low key shade.. Jurgen I didn’t think I could love you any more but *chefs kiss*

Bake a perfect carrot cake next king 👑

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I don’t know how to word this but I feel like the only reason Chigs, Crystelle, Giuseppe stayed over Jurgen is their marketability... I think either Chigs or Crystelle are being eyed up… Jurgen seems quiet and not the type to want to be in a spotlight with his own show or all over the media… whereas the others may be more open to it… I don’t know, I‘ve never felt this way about any past winners and I’m not one to call fix but something isn’t sitting right with me here

Reactions: 25