Great British Bake Off 2021 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Jurgen had not improved during the series. He just maintained his high standard, where the others did up theirs

Reactions: 2
I came out as not being a Jurgen fan in the last thread but even I’m stunned he got the boot. Tuesdays episode had a weird vibe to me, Paul definitely had a problem with him 🤔

Chigs for the win. Leicester represent 😎
Irrelevance warning: Is the Richard iii stuff in Leicester just literally in the city centre? We're stopping off there at Christmas on the way to mother in laws for a couple of days to go to the Space Centre so looking for things to do/see

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Irrelevance warning: Is the Richard iii stuff in Leicester just literally in the city centre? We're stopping off there at Christmas on the way to mother in laws for a couple of days to go to the Space Centre so looking for things to do/see
It’s slightly to the east part of the city centre, in the older part where the Cathedral is. It’s walkable and sign posted and well worth the visit. The space station is to the north of the city. Enjoy our wonderful city 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 1
don’t know if I’m just bored with it now, or if the programme has been dumbed down, but most of them don’t seem to be wonderful, knowledgable skilled bakers to me. I used to enter competitions in the WI, and those judges really JUDGED. They were terrifying. Juergen was knowledgeable, he could give Paul a run for his money, which is probably why he is no longer there. As for the judges, both need to go, presenters too, though I have a soft spot Noel so I might give him another chance. And please, don’t get Paul to dress up, I’m embarrassed for him. His handshake ? Piss off.
Just wanted to back up your statement about the WI judges. I bet Paul wouldn't get very far in a WI competition tent.

Sales manager sounds about right. Who else would bake for about 5 mimutes and then apply to bake off? Oh the confidence of men....
I just can't get behind Chigs, he gives me "vibes" but I can't work out why.

I don't really want any of the remainders to win but I'm going to back Chrystelle for the final.

Last edited:
I cannot stand Chrystelle. Her fake expressions of shock with her mouth wide open.
I knew Juergen had gone out before a thing it as I saw a picture of the other 3 with their shocked faces and Jurgen with his sad face 😞
Crystelles has to be the most annoying though as she does it at any slight compliment

Reactions: 8
That whole episode felt set up and I thought it was extremely telling when Chrystelle thanked Jürgen for how much she'd learned from him. He was so obviously head and shoulders above everyone else.

I often find the decisions frustrating on Bake Off though when older, less photogenic but better bakers are eliminated to leave the young pretty ones. Sadly this is very far from the first time it's happened and it leaves a bad taste. I'm still just as annoyed two days later!

Reactions: 27
Christelle has become overtly annoying with the shocked omg faces . I guess she is bidding for TV fame after gbboff . Jurgen should not have gone out . I thought Giseppe’s showstopper relying on the rice and marshmallow tower was a cop out as was Cystelle’s . If those had been centre pieces on a banquet I doubt anyone would have eaten those bits .

Reactions: 19
I don’t know how to word this but I feel like the only reason Chigs, Crystelle, Giuseppe stayed over Jurgen is their marketability... I think either Chigs or Crystelle are being eyed up… Jurgen seems quiet and not the type to want to be in a spotlight with his own show or all over the media… whereas the others may be more open to it… I don’t know, I‘ve never felt this way about any past winners and I’m not one to call fix but something isn’t sitting right with me here

Reactions: 25
Definitely you can see a pattern with past winners being marketable - it’s so unfair

Reactions: 17
Christelle has become overtly annoying with the shocked omg faces . I guess she is bidding for TV fame after gbboff . Jurgen should not have gone out . I thought Giseppe’s showstopper relying on the rice and marshmallow tower was a cop out as was Cystelle’s . If those had been centre pieces on a banquet I doubt anyone would have eaten those bits .
100% my husband and I were yelling at the tv for this cop out structure. Jurgen spent the time actually baking and then got disadvantaged because his colour of the glaze was a bit off. Giuseppes was fairly average looking to me and they said it didn’t taste good either.

It definitely feels rigged, for the marketability for whoever wins, I could definitely see any three of the finalists having their own show.

Reactions: 14
I’m still pissed about it too. Maybe the fact that Rahul wasn’t ever that marketable has made them skew it? Thing is loads of people would have tuned into to juergens bob ross baking show. Perhaps they didn’t realise how popular he would have been? Is the whole show filmed before it’s even shown?

Reactions: 15
I agree about the marketability. I was so behind Nadya when she won, I had loved her all through that series, but knowing what she has done since, I look at things from a different perspective on the show. Nadya wasn’t the person she portrayed, she rose to fame far too quickly. If it had just been baking or cookery, I could have understood it, but not the travel show etc., and of course, she has jumped on the wagon of mental health and child abuse too. Maybe I’m wrong. She was certainly marketable, with her beauty, ethnicity and education. She ticked a lot of boxes.

Reactions: 8
I must say I'm pretty sceptical about Bake Off. For a start, it's always the same cast every year. The young pretty one, the zany one, the older one, the non-white one, the gay one, the one who only started baking last week ... I've become more and more sure the whole thing is set up as the series have rolled on. Don't even get me started on Paul Lion Bread.

Reactions: 15
I clicked on the application form for next year (I’m not a great baker just being nosy at the questions) and it states that they decide who gets in based on age / location / sex / ethnicity etc so it’s diverse. So basically the best 10 amateur bakers to apply in the country could all be black 30-40 year old men from Sheffield, for example, and they would only put one through to the show because it’s diverse not the actual best amateur bakers. Makes it a farce.. I want to see the best, not Ellie aged 20 from Dorset who’s gay and an average amateur baker because they need to fill that category!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I agree about the marketability. I was so behind Nadya when she won, I had loved her all through that series, but knowing what she has done since, I look at things from a different perspective on the show. Nadya wasn’t the person she portrayed, she rose to fame far too quickly. If it had just been baking or cookery, I could have understood it, but not the travel show etc., and of course, she has jumped on the wagon of mental health and child abuse too. Maybe I’m wrong. She was certainly marketable, with her beauty, ethnicity and education. She ticked a lot of boxes.
I completely agree. Although I was Team Tamal that year, I did like Nadiya on the show. However I've gone completely off her in the last few years. She has an opinion on absolutely everything, and there's not a bandwagon out there that she won't jump on. Being honest about it, I don't think she was a great baker. That cake she made for the queen was terrible.

Reactions: 10
Out of all the tv bakers I dislike Nadias recipes the most as she goes for weird combinations of ingredients which do not appear appealing

Also do you remember on the spoof bbc programme - ( can’t remember the name but the man from Downton Abbey was in it ) one of the meeting rooms at the bbc was called’ Nadia Hussein ‘ 😂 like she ticked all their boxes back when bake off was a bbc flagship programme

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.