Great British Bake Off 2020

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought Lottie did fine, I mean I’m not surprised she was bottom but Sura, I really didn’t take to her at all. She came across as a bit surly and of course the raw cake.
Seeing them all bake shitty brownies cheers me up no end Though as despite loving baking I CANNOT crack brownies, mine end up too cakey and stodgy... but at least edible (we won’t talk about the cookies that somehow turned into frisbees in the oven...!)

Reactions: 6
First time commenting on this thread! Love bake off. Agree the standard hasn’t been as high this year but given the circumstances it’s understandable. It’s actually quite refreshing seeing amateur bakers being well, amateurish. Think the right person went yesterday, you can’t serve raw dough and expect to get to the next round!

Came across this and for some reason it made me think of bake off

Reactions: 5
I really liked Sura, she looked terrified the whole time she was being judged.

Sad to see her go but she did have an absolute mare of a week.

Lottie pulled it back with her showstopper

Literally every technical challenge. A load of obscure bakes nobody has ever heard of. Was much better when the technicals were Jaffa cakes and fondant fancies.

Reactions: 10
Literally every technical challenge. A load of obscure bakes nobody has ever heard of. Was much better when the technicals were Jaffa cakes and fondant fancies.
Agree although I do like seeing new things I’ve not heard of especially if they are pretty to look at. I suppose eventually they will run out of ‘mainstream’ things to bake though so they have to branch out.

I can’t get round the flavours used in most of their bakes, far too fancy for my tastes I know they have to be creative, but I don’t think cardamom, ginger, strawberry and nut cake is for me....

I can’t get round the flavours used in most of their bakes, far too fancy for my tastes I know they have to be creative, but I don’t think cardamom, ginger, strawberry and nut cake is for me....
Same, why ruin a perfectly good* brownie with figs and cheesecake?!

*I’m using the phrase ‘perfectly good’ very loosely as obviously the brownies were a disaster

My entire WhatsApp chat history today is just me going
“FIGS? On a BROWNIE?! Are you kidding me??”

They were all crap last night but I found it a refreshing change from the Instagram-perfect bakes that have been on the past couple of series: I found that really alienating.

Matt is shit: get Noel on solo, I say. Great bants and great outfits. (I miss Sue Perkins and her Big Dick Energy though, I’ll admit).

Reactions: 6
Mel and Sue were good. Been watching old series of Bake off and they really did add something to the show.

Reactions: 9
Mel and Sue were good. Been watching old series of Bake off and they really did add something to the show.
I think Noel and Sandi, now Matt are all a bit too focused on making jokes and being quirky and funny. They forgot to actually give a shit, and there isn't that bit of heart, that bit of warmth you always got from Mel and Sue. I know they weren't everyone's cup of tea, but they just had that bit of heart that was needed when a baker was having a bad bake.

Reactions: 15
Is it me but on the final bake, the showstoppers, for the past 2 weeks have they not shown a drawing of what Hermine’s will be like? I swear they haven’t!
Also, another week where I throughly dislike Matt. This year just seems so ‘off’.

Reactions: 3
I think the right person went I did like sura though. Watching them make the brownies made me so hungry

Reactions: 1
I agree I miss mel & Sue, they definitely brought some energy, Mel that time she leaned on someones bakes and squashed them and Sue always seemed like that comforting big sister. Love Noel he has a nice vibe. Hate how they edit Paul to make eyes as every young contestant (haha or maybe it isnt edited)

Brownies were but I appreciate these people giving up their time during a pandemic to entertain me

Reactions: 9
Yeah was shocked none of them could pull of a decent brownie, but guess they were all trying too hard to impress. Lottie was right when she said if one of them had just done something simple they would have done well!
I actually like Matt and he has made me laugh on many occasions, I like his off beat humour and especially after this dire year I’m appreciating it. However I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and I was massively sceptical when he was announced . Mel and Sue did bring a warmth that is missing, a long with Dame Mary. Sadly that’s passed now so I just take it for what it is now, I think they are leaning into the kooky/off the wall funny element.

Sura was delightful on Extra Slice tonight. She came across really well.

Reactions: 11
If they're in the bubble, how are they able to rehearse their bakes? Do they have to order the ingredients in?

Reactions: 1
If they're in the bubble, how are they able to rehearse their bakes? Do they have to order the ingredients in?
They all had a practice kitchen each set up by the production company to practice, but I do still wonder about the ingredients and sourcing etc. I read a while back that during filming they always had runners on standby at supermarkets nearby to purchase emergency ingredients in the event of a disaster and needing more of things. Obviously that won't have been happening, but I wonder like you about the practicing and how that works with ingredients.

Reactions: 3
Sura was talking about her husband having to taste her bakes day after day which must have been before she entered the filming bubble. They probably got all the tasks for the series in advance so they could plan everything they'd do and that way they'd know all the equipment, ingredients and quantities they'd need for the actual bakes and the practice bakes. I think it works that way on normal years too, if you think about people having specific tins or moulds made for things.

They would have still been getting deliveries and shopping throughout the filming. Food would have been coming into the hotel/spa they were bubbled in.