Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know they are different phrases with different meanings. That's why I said my pet peeve is when people use "early doors" instead of "early days"!! They are getting them mixed up!

Reactions: 2
I am on quite a lot of parent groups for special needs children. Quite often respite is talked about.....or maybe rest bite? 😬 What on earth do they think rest bite is???

• Haha
Reactions: 8
When I was at school I wrote about my Granddad and how he liked listening to the radio. I put, "wahless", instead of, "wireless", because that's how my Londoner Granddad said it. Being corrected in front of the class means I now check almost everything prior to writing it 😂

I have a friend and she says she's sitting IN the settee instead of on it. I bite my lip.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
When I was at school I wrote about my Granddad and how he liked listening to the radio. I put, "wahless", instead of, "wireless", because that's how my Londoner Granddad said it. Being corrected in front of the class means I now check almost everything prior to writing it 😂

I have a friend and she says she's sitting IN the settee instead of on it. I bite my lip.
Is your friend of Spanish origin because that's how it's said here?

Reactions: 4
Arrive TO......

Yer what?

This is a fashionable grammatical error at the moment 🤬

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I am on quite a lot of parent groups for special needs children. Quite often respite is talked about.....or maybe rest bite? 😬 What on earth do they think rest bite is???
A rest bite would be a good term for a break with a sit down and a snack .

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I’m certainly no grammar queen myself, but seen - why do I keep seeing people say ‘I seen this’ or ‘I seen this in the shop’. What?! Do people actually say that? It makes no sense. It’s so annoying and I keep seeing it everywhere!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m certainly no grammar queen myself, but seen - why do I keep seeing people say ‘I seen this’ or ‘I seen this in the shop’. What?! Do people actually say that? It makes no sense. It’s so annoying and I keep seeing it everywhere!
urgh, i totally agree! it's not about being a grammar expert - it's just basic grammatical knowledge. "i seen this" and "i done that" - just no! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Your instead of you're and there instead of their and vice-versa.
Mistakes coming from native English speakers...

The plural of "bus" is "buses." Busses, with two S, is a verb e.g. "the local council busses in resources from outside the area." Similar for words like "gases", seeing people mix these up is annoying

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Arrive TO......

Yer what?

This is a fashionable grammatical error at the moment 🤬
Yes, who can forget ‘We arrived to the Fairmont Hotel for The Montreaux Jazz Festival...’

I think I've found my tribe 😁
She’s introduced me now!
1657979393822.png
Hello Tribe!

Oh my God, this just made me remember a time when a 'posh lady' called our office (I worked in travel).
She says, 'Oh hello, I'm running late because I'm stuck in Splarshen Darsh.

Cue me, wondering where the hell Splarshen Darsh is.

I responded with 'Can I take your booking reference?'
'No, I've not made a booking'
'Ok, we'll make one now for you'
'I don't need a booking. I'm in my car'
'Ok...erm...'
She proceeded to tell me that she worked in our Head Office (down South) and was visiting our office (up North) but was stuck in Splarshen Darsh.

I said that I'll pass the message on. So informed my big boss, who looks at me and says 'Where the hell is Splarshen Darsh?' Thinking she was coming via Germany (in her car!! 🤣)
Google gets involved. Everyone around gets involved.

10 minutes later she arrives.
We discovered that Splarshen Darsh was actually Splash and Dash and she was getting her car washed.

Oh the embarrassment!
I laughed SO much at this my ribs hurt and my little dog side-eyed me then went to sit under a chair he’s never sat under before! It’s one of the funniest posts I have ever read...😂🤣😂🤣😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Splarshen Darsh 😆

I once worked as the PA for a very posh publishing exec. She once asked me to get her a copy of the latest book by Jard Darmen. I googled for ages before realising she was saying Jared Diamond.

• Haha
I know a few people who always use “pacific” when they mean “specific”.
Also “general consensus “. A consensus is general, it can’t be anything else .