Grammar Pet Peeves

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just read an article on FB about a girl who is scared to eat because she choked on food as a baby - the comments are filled with people writing about how their child also has an aversion to certain foods due to "chocking". Not just the occasional misspelling in the word - it's every single comment, with choking/choked spelled "chocking" or chocked". My eyes feel as though they have been grated. Urgh. 🙄🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Its A long while since i looked at this thread you is been very interesting i seen this sort of thing on post's and statuse's people just dont understand how to type propely

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Saw a guy with a shirt on that had ghost illustrations on it and "I'M JUST HERE FOR THE BOO'S".

The boo is what?

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Oh my God, this just made me remember a time when a 'posh lady' called our office (I worked in travel).
She says, 'Oh hello, I'm running late because I'm stuck in Splarshen Darsh.

Cue me, wondering where the hell Splarshen Darsh is.

I responded with 'Can I take your booking reference?'
'No, I've not made a booking'
'Ok, we'll make one now for you'
'I don't need a booking. I'm in my car'
'Ok...erm...'
She proceeded to tell me that she worked in our Head Office (down South) and was visiting our office (up North) but was stuck in Splarshen Darsh.

I said that I'll pass the message on. So informed my big boss, who looks at me and says 'Where the hell is Splarshen Darsh?' Thinking she was coming via Germany (in her car!! 🤣)
Google gets involved. Everyone around gets involved.

10 minutes later she arrives.
We discovered that Splarshen Darsh was actually Splash and Dash and she was getting her car washed.

Oh the embarrassment!
Just bumping this up again! It’s still one of the funniest posts I’ve ever read. I commented on it a while ago. 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Perfect for Family Sunday's ☺ (as someone on my FB posted the other day)
the absolute shame of turning up to a previous job in a bookshop, and noticing that another employee had attached a sign to the window reading "now open on Sunday's!" - obvs torn down immediately! urgh. 🤢🤢

• Haha
Just bumping this up again! It’s still one of the funniest posts I’ve ever read. I commented on it a while ago. 😂😂😂
Thank you! I aim to please! I still laugh about it now.

Fortunately, I've never had to speak to her again! 🤣

Splarshen Darsh reminds me of working for a very posh woman, and writing down a name she dictated to me - Nermy Darmon. Turned out it was actually Naomi Diamond!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Admittedly, I might have had a drink😁
Of course but I bet you did it with a cheeky smile! I'm sure I've done it before too!

I have a weird diacotomy though because I became unwell a few years ago and lost the ability to spell and do some things language properly, after previously being a bit of a grammar pedant. It's like having a split personality. I do miss the old me a bit but I also have a much better understanding of say, things like dyslexia so now get how things don't always come easily to people. It's a weird one. The unnecessary 's at the end of names like James still deeply upset me though 😆.

Last edited:
Of course but I bet you did it with a cheeky smile! I'm sure I've done it before too!

I have a weird diacotomy though because I became unwell a few years ago and lost the ability to spell and do some things language properly, after previously being a bit of a grammar pedant. It's like having a split personality. I do miss the old me a bit but I also have a much better understanding of say, things like dyslexia so now get how things don't always come easily to people. It's a weird one. The unnecessary 's at the end of names like James still deeply upsets me though 😆.
I know what you mean. I feel like some things I was taught at school now seem to be deemed as incorrect. Don’t even get me started on plurals such as “roofs”😆

Infer being used incorrectly. It doesn’t mean imply, it means to deduce.
Imagine my anger and outrage when it was used incorrectly by that paragon of grammatical perfection, Inspector Morse!

Reactions: 3
Something I always see English people (don't shout at me please 😇) writing..."I opened my chest of draws" NO!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I once went up to a blackboard menu in a pub and wiped out all of the dodgy apostrophes.🥴
i may or may not have, on occasion, made corrections to unnecessary apostrophes on signs... 🤷🏻‍♂️ and although i have angrily scribbled corrections on takeaway menus that have been shoved thru my door, i have resisted the urge to post them back thru the door of the takeaways! 🤣

talking of unnecessary apostrophes, the ones that really grate are the signs which say "CD's and DVD's". ARGH.

• Haha