Grace Beverley #14 delayed gratification is getting into Oxford on your gap year after being rejected once

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Who buys BOTH the audiobook and ebook?? And in school curriculum? Omg these wee girls are so out of touch with reality it's laughable
imagine a teacher looking at this awfully writtten mess :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I find it odd how many people are reading it and highlighting/bookmarking, this is something I only ever did when I was revising/writing essays

Reactions: 30
I find it odd how many people are reading it and highlighting/bookmarking, this is something I only ever did when I was revising/writing essays
me too, and it makes me quite sad tbh, seeing so many impressionable girls studying every sentence in there thinking they'll imitate her success if they follow it to a T, when likely it'll never happen due to the parts about a massive head start in life being left out :(

Reactions: 21
mm innit, i feel like the 'success' of her book is influencer marketing to a T tbh... its exactly the same as all the girls posting pictures of themselves in tala - they just want a chance to be featured on grace's story, so I can imagine all these books being highlighted and bookmarked comes from that desire to be noticed rather than the content itself genuinely resonating with people 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 37
I wish grace would fully acknowledge and unpick her privilege rather than mention it on a surface level as tho she’s run of the mill middle class. I always say that when it comes to privilege, people shouldn’t begrudge the life people are born into, it’s about whether they appreciate and understand it. It’s also very relative. Say for example my parents couldn’t afford to send me to private school but they could afford a house in an area with amazing grammar schools which I only now fully understand the huge impact that has had on my life. I could easily say “oh yeh I didn’t go to a private school” but there is more to it than that. I think people would respect grace more if she full delved into her privilege, spoke up about the unjust nature of it giving people a leg up in life and tried to give back to society by for example setting up work experience placements in schools and so on. So much of the working world is about contacts and getting the first foot in the door that so many people just don’t have access to.

Not sure what my point is here haha just a thought of the day xx

• Heart
Reactions: 51
I wish grace would fully acknowledge and unpick her privilege rather than mention it on a surface level as tho she’s run of the mill middle class. I always say that when it comes to privilege, people shouldn’t begrudge the life people are born into, it’s about whether they appreciate and understand it. It’s also very relative. Say for example my parents couldn’t afford to send me to private school but they could afford a house in an area with amazing grammar schools which I only now fully understand the huge impact that has had on my life. I could easily say “oh yeh I didn’t go to a private school” but there is more to it than that. I think people would respect grace more if she full delved into her privilege, spoke up about the unjust nature of it giving people a leg up in life and tried to give back to society by for example setting up work experience placements in schools and so on. So much of the working world is about contacts and getting the first foot in the door that so many people just don’t have access to.

Fully agree! It doesn't make her a bad person that she was born into her family and given opportunities, she just needs to acknowledge and own it. Like you say it's all surface level, she thinks voting for Labour and scraping together a pathetic story about babysitting makes her like the rest of us.

I think she missed a trick by not writing a tell-all book about the world of being privately educated in London, how it sets you up for Oxford etc (like people do with Harvard and stuff), I'd find that way more interesting and honest than a silly book about how to write a to-do list and become a millionaire suddenly. I think people wouldn't give her half as much flack for that as she's opening up and admitting her privileges, rather than constantly sweeping it under the carpet.

• Heart
Reactions: 55

Definitely. I think the best analogy I’ve ever seen (on no doubt someone far cleverer than me’s instagram) was that privilege doesn’t necessarily give you a leg up, rather it clears any possible obstacles in your path, although I would argue for Grace it’s done both. Likewise, privilege over generations ie. the clearing of obstacles over generations, means that by the time privilege landed in Grace’s lap, she was so far ahead of the race that even though she has faced some challenges in her life, they’re not big enough to slow her down so that others, who haven’t experienced that generational privilege, can catch up. Even if their current circumstances are similar to Grace’s. It doesn’t mean she doesn’t put in the work (although again, we know she doesn’t) it just means that others have to work harder to get even close.

Reactions: 24
Fully agree! It doesn't make her a bad person that she was born into her family and given opportunities, she just needs to acknowledge and own it. Like you say it's all surface level, she thinks voting for Labour and scraping together a pathetic story about babysitting makes her like the rest of us.

I think she missed a trick by not writing a tell-all book about the world of being privately educated in London, how it sets you up for Oxford etc (like people do with Harvard and stuff), I'd find that way more interesting and honest than a silly book about how to write a to-do list and become a millionaire suddenly. I think people wouldn't give her half as much flack for that as she's opening up and admitting her privileges, rather than constantly sweeping it under the carpet.
the thing is she would never do that as it would take away from her narrative of being so "self made"

Reactions: 20

To get most influencers to be transparent about their privilege is like pulling teeth. What you said reminded me of a studytuber I follow now and again called Jack Edwards. He likes to make a big song and dance about how he was state-school educated, and one time I was curious and googled and turns out the sixth form he attended was the third best performing sixth form in the country! I don't think you get to pull the disadvantaged state school card when you received an education that is on par with (or even better than) most private schools. He's pretty harmless otherwise, but I think it's interesting how privileged influencers love to latch onto a "thing" they can use to try and prove they don't belong in the generic white+privileged+wealthy category. e.g. with Grace it's the silly financial independence claims and her unique "work ethic" which are meant to make us believe that she would've got to where she was regardless of her upbringing.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
For me, it's not just the privilege that she needs to acknowledge. What annoys me possibly even more is her failure to acknowledge her huge social media following and influencer status as being the main reason for her companies' success. She acts like she became a successful CEO off of her own merits and from having the ideas for these amazing groundbreaking 'disruptive' brands, but the reality is that if someone already has a million instagram followers, that is literally a ready made audience of fans who will buy your product as soon as you mention that you're launching something, regardless of whether it's even any good. For me, a truly 'self made' CEO is someone who had to launch their businesses starting from zero customers, literally going round pitching their product, trying to generate a social media following over time, and would have had to rely on having an actually good unique product to gradually generate interest over time. I feel like in this respect she's had a real short cut. And so when she's invited to speak at events or do interviews with the angle being that she's a 'CEO' and given a platform to hand out advice to other wannabe entrepreneurs I just find it so misleading and fake, because to me she isn't a real 'self made CEO', she's an influencer who launched a couple of brands.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
This pose is very 2016-2017 insta #fitspo vibes, thought we had left this behind.
I saw that story too - posing is odd, but i actually LOVE that dress... where can I get one that won't cost me £500 (apparently it's slow fashion to be so expensive now dahling) and I also don't want to waste time messaging her lol

Decided to Google Grace because she never talks about how she actually got to where she is (not properly)...
The first hit was from the Sun, so I'm not taking any of this as truth YET... But Interesting to know she started at a private nursery and built her brand solo from there LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I saw that story too - posing is odd, but i actually LOVE that dress... where can I get one that won't cost me £500 (apparently it's slow fashion to be so expensive now dahling) and I also don't want to waste time messaging her lol

Decided to Google Grace because she never talks about how she actually got to where she is (not properly)...
The first hit was from the Sun, so I'm not taking any of this as truth YET... But Interesting to know she started at a private nursery and built her brand solo from there LOL

Still extremely confused why the ‘legal career’ keeps popping up when she studied music 🧐

I’d pay to see our favourite “budget queen” on this

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 22

That nursery thing was interesting because she addressed it in a video and said something like, “most nurseries cost more than that.” And 😂 it just made me realise she really is on some other planet to say 9600 a year is some kind of discounted rate and she had a friend in the video nodding along as if that made sense. I think she deleted that video and others like it long ago because of how bad it made her look. Also, about the legal career, that was something she denied and said that she wasn’t interested in law BUT... she originally applied to Oxford to study PPE (politics, philosophy and economics), she’s also said it doesn’t matter what subject you do as long as you go to a good uni (have the Oxford name drop) and in the recent Times article it said she was interested in a law career the entire time. So maybe the Sun was onto something and knew something that we didn’t at that time. 🤷

Reactions: 20
That nursery thing was interesting because she addressed it in a video and said something like, “most nurseries cost more than that.” And 😂 it just made me realise she really is on some other planet to say 9600 a year is some kind of discounted rate and she had a friend in the video nodding along as if that made sense. I think she deleted that video and others like it long ago because of how bad it made her look. Also, about the legal career, that was something she denied and said that she wasn’t interested in law BUT... she originally applied to Oxford to study PPE (politics, philosophy and economics), she’s also said it doesn’t matter what subject you do as long as you go to a good uni (have the Oxford name drop) and in the recent Times article it said she was interested in a law career the entire time. So maybe the Sun was onto something and knew something that we didn’t at that time. 🤷
On average, a day nursery for a child under 2 in London is £321 a week full time (50 hours), so I really hate to support grace here but £9600 a year isn't ridiculous, in fact if £9600 is for an entire year (52 weeks) it's significantly cheaper

• Wow
Reactions: 7
On average, a day nursery for a child under 2 in London is £321 a week full time (50 hours), so I really hate to support grace here but £9600 a year isn't ridiculous, in fact if £9600 is for an entire year (52 weeks) it's significantly cheaper
Is this not the price for now though? 20 years ago I imagine the average was significantly lower

Reactions: 23
I understand that both her parents work but it’s not normal for regular people to put their kids in a nursery at that age and be financially equipped to be able to pay 10k a year (her family can do this because they are literally MILLIONAIRES). Especially since she likes to play up the story of how she couldn’t pay her 9k uni tuition on time and this is what led to her being all entrepreneurial/self-made by deciding to make the funds herself by selling her gracefit e-books.

Reactions: 23
and let’s also not forget she has 3 siblings
£40k a year for pre school child care and grez thinks it’s a bargain 🥴 ok hun

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.