Grace Beverley #14 delayed gratification is getting into Oxford on your gap year after being rejected once

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This book is so cringe I cant. These extracts are so horrible. What serious author writes “No bleeping Clue tm” and #goals. Sounds like a 50 year old writing a book for tweens.
I don’t know who these people that hype it up are but they certainly lack some kind of common sense.
Oh my god her writing makes me cringe so bad! She’s tried far too hard to be relatable with the TM and hashtags and weird overly-drawn out anecdotes. The thing is, though, it comes across as really arrogant outside of Twitter. I remember people were adding the TM to tweets a couple of years ago, which was somewhat funny at the time, but I haven’t seen it recently at all. And the jokes kind of old now...

I kind of get the impression that Grace appears really confident behind the camera because she can perfectly manipulate the narrative, and there isn’t anyone who can talk back to her/question her, but in real life she’s actually not someone who’s very comfortable in social situations because she can’t relate to real life problems

Glad to see people calling her out for her awful writing style. I suspect that Grace will just brush it off as those readers lacking reading comprehension 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Has anyone found the chapter where she supposedly addresses her privilege? Wondering if she talks about her family and upbringing and if she mentions her very affluent childhood.

Reactions: 17
And the negative ones are rated “most helpful” 🤣
the top reviews 4 reviews are all 1 star :LOL:

This 5 star review is 100% written by her the writing style is the same
"loved this book, it couldn't have come at a better time for me being so stressed with university exams and trying to juggle a million things. A truly important read especially in the current climate, prompting self reflection on own attitudes towards work and the pressures of achieving perfect productivity in a world where comparison (the thief of joy) has never been so easy! Grace is a woman of the people, truly inspiring and intelligent. Girl boss guru "

• Haha
Reactions: 27
As much as I agree with the sentiments in those negative reviews, I'm skeptical they've come from anyone who has actually read the book (none of them are from a verified purchaser). I'd be interested in the critical reviews from people who have read the book.

Reactions: 30
As much as I agree with the sentiments in those negative reviews, I'm skeptical they've come from anyone who has actually read the book (none of them are from a verified purchaser). I'd be interested in the critical reviews from people who have read the book.
that’s a good point but also, some of them could’ve purchased it elsewhere (Waterstones, WHSmith etc) but left a review on Amazon

Reactions: 12
that’s a good point but also, some of them could’ve purchased it elsewhere (Waterstones, WHSmith etc) but left a review on Amazon
and she has published so many random pages of it online already, we all know how awful the writing style is and the criticisms about her background are also valid imo

Reactions: 17
I suppose so, but all the negative reviews say the same thing, and let's be honest, most of them are saying things we've basically said word for word on Tattle. And I highly doubt these people who consider Grace a spoilt privileged millionaire would've preordered her book or rushed out to buy it on the day of release.

Like I said, I agree with the criticisms and they're valid, but I think it's incredibly unlikely any of the reviews are from people who have read the book. And because they all say thing it just looks like her review section has been trolled, so I'll bet these reviews don't stay up much longer. I'm just genuinely interested in seeing criticisms about the actual content of the book - the stuff about the writing style has been apparent since she first started sharing excerpts a year ago.

Reactions: 43
Yep the criticisms of her background really do sound a lot like people who post on tattle/gurugossip...

With that in mind, I do have a copy of the book and it is very badly written lol and is basically an amalgamation of quite basic productivity tips and personal anecdotes she stretches out to try and apply to the whole of Gen Z. Plus the usual overhyping of her million dissertations at uni as she grew her ‘businesses’.

Reminds me of Pandora Sykes’ book which was just a regurgitation of all the books she’d read before. It’s very much that whole ‘I went to private school then a good uni’ style of intelligence that relies on being able to sound clever but has absolutely no substance at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I suppose so, but all the negative reviews say the same thing, and let's be honest, most of them are saying things we've basically said word for word on Tattle. And I highly doubt these people who consider Grace a spoilt privileged millionaire would've preordered her book or rushed out to buy it on the day of release.

Like I said, I agree with the criticisms and they're valid, but I think it's incredibly unlikely any of the reviews are from people who have read the book. And because they all say thing it just looks like her review section has been trolled, so I'll bet these reviews don't stay up much longer. I'm just genuinely interested in seeing criticisms about the actual content of the book, because the stuff about the writing style has been apparent since she first started sharing excerpts a year ago.
I agree. I do kind of think it's a shame that people are leaving reviews who haven't actually read the book - its one thing criticising grace on here but i feel like spamming amazon with one star reviews is going a bit far hahah (but thats just my opinion)

Reactions: 23
I agree. I do kind of think it's a shame that people are leaving reviews who haven't actually read the book - its one thing criticising grace on here but i feel like spamming amazon with one star reviews is going a bit far hahah (but thats just my opinion)
I absolutely agree, I'm not going to read the book so I will not be leaving a review. I don't think anyone should. It would be much more rewarding to see actual in depth reviews of why people don't like the book.

Reactions: 14
On the flip side, if anyone does read the book (I admire your strength) please do write reviews!

Reactions: 25
Oh my god her writing makes me cringe so bad! She’s tried far too hard to be relatable with the TM and hashtags and weird overly-drawn out anecdotes. The thing is, though, it comes across as really arrogant outside of Twitter. I remember people were adding the TM to tweets a couple of years ago, which was somewhat funny at the time, but I haven’t seen it recently at all. And the jokes kind of old now...

I kind of get the impression that Grace appears really confident behind the camera because she can perfectly manipulate the narrative, and there isn’t anyone who can talk back to her/question her, but in real life she’s actually not someone who’s very comfortable in social situations because she can’t relate to real life problems

Glad to see people calling her out for her awful writing style. I suspect that Grace will just brush it off as those readers lacking reading comprehension 😂
She said she used to be bullied in high school for posting her fitness updates. I think a lot of YouTubers are the same, they struggle in real life socially so they turn to the internet. Makes sense 🤷

Reactions: 15
She said she used to be bullied in high school for posting her fitness updates. I think a lot of YouTubers are the same, they struggle in real life socially so they turn to the internet. Makes sense 🤷
I really doubt this and feel like it’s a story to
Be relatable

Reactions: 11
I really doubt this and feel like it’s a story to
Be relatable
I think youtubers/influencers use lie about this all of the time. The same way they lie about anxiety or depression to be relatable. Because they know no one can question their mental health

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.