Grace Beverley #12 Full of conceit, called out in a tweet and boy is it sweet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Typical of her to bring up abuse and tit like that when shes addressing criticism. So inappropriate

• Angry
Reactions: 41
I remember her talking about PTSD related to a car accident and injury she had?
I don't remember her linking the PTSD to the car accident, I think that was more speculation from forums tbh. She spoke about the PTSD affecting her during uni so it sounds like this was happening in the last few years rather than ages ago.

It's tit and it's awful that this has happened to her, but feel a bit weird about it being brought it at this moment because it kind of derails discussion. Talking about privilege is not about saying you can't have awful things happen during your life, and she surely knows this. It's just about acknowledging the different starting points people have in life, and how depending on where you 'start', things can be a lot easier or a lot harder for you. This is a very specific discussion about how entrepreneurs from rich families are consistently held up as the key holders of knowledge of how to succeed in business, even though all the odds were stacked in their favour to start with. I'm not really sure what her intention was with bringing that up.

Reactions: 32
Omd her stories are brain numbing. I feel for victims of abuse, I am one, and that's the first time I've written it down. But what does that have to do with the meme on Twitter? All people face varying degrees of hardship in life and I think everyone empathises with this - no one has suggested that she hasn't had hardships.

All anyone is saying is keep ya f*@cking book about productivity and 'hustle culture' bc the background of an author MATTERS, ESPECIALLY given the topic of her book. Everyone cancelled Junot Diaz when they found out he was abusive - 'nuance' and background matter.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I.... why is she bringing up PTSD. That is not productive to this conversation re privilege. Surely there is a better time and place to discuss her history with abuse, rather than in an Insta story that is supposed to be a response to valid criticism.
cos she loves to be the victim

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It’s the same as someone who is white saying white privilege doesn’t exist because white people still suffer from hard things in life. The point is that your life isn’t made harder by the colour of your skin. Or in her case her life hasn’t been made harder by her background and so on. No one is suggesting she’s never had anything bad happen to her.

• Heart
You can tell she has no idea. The way she markets tala as affordable irks me and shows how out of touch she is- or when she calls anything affordable really!
tala selling £40 leggings (won’t even go into skin luxe 🙄)
£15 a thong
£15 a pair of socks
£75 a fleece
And if you challenge her on it being affordable she goes on about how low the profit margins are, matching other brands etc. Maybe, but your idea of affordable brands is anything cheaper than lulu. Most people it’s Tesco £8 leggings.
you can say your products are fairly priced- don’t use word affordable

if airbus had a 50% off sale on bloody planes it would be a damn good deal, wouldn’t make them all of a sudden affordable just because it’s cheaper than something else. Especially when talking about luxury items like additional leggings.
What i find so funny is that the headbands used to be £15 EACH now they’re £5 and the cotton pads used to be £5 each now they’re £1 lol
Clearly TALAL isn’t doing as well as greasy makes it out to be

• Wow
Reactions: 17
i think she mentioned having PTSD in the 2nd (maybe 3rd) year of uni, for some reason I always thought that the car accident was when she was small & that’s why she stopped gymnastics:unsure:
I might have it mixed up! I just remember her discussing injury and PTSD, they might be unrelated

She's kind of stuck because she can't gain other people's trust without being fully transparent, which means being transparent not just about her own family and background but about her business practices. But now that she's constructed the issue as a question of a learning curve, she can't bring the business practices into it, because it's just inadequate and blatantly classist to excuse her exploitation of other, more vulnerable people as part of this 'learning curve'.

She's now exposed quite a personal detail about being a victim of severe abuse and IMO that is not something she should discuss now. It's manipulative to bring up abuse to escape accountability. But also, looking out for her own mental wellbeing, it will really hurt her to read people saying stuff like "it's manipulative to bring [your abuse] up now to deflect criticism", and it will hurt her to see people dismiss it, which is exactly what is going to happen and has already started to happen. I can't imagine thousands of people talking about my abuse in that way.

She just needs to put the phone down, not think about it for a while and come up with a response that respectfully addresses the issue - for her own sake and everyone else's.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Good lord my IQ has just dropped significantly watching that..

She sort of looked like she’s about to cry in the last few - would you see a GENUINE serious businessman/woman ever do that ? No 😅 imagine bloody Richard Branson saying ‘sorry our plane crashed but I’ve actually overcome a lot of obstacles in my life’ absolutely not.

Sad to see her face so frozen and those teeth which sort of look like they don’t fit.. I preferred old school natural cute fun grace who posted gym videos and what I eat in a day.. simpler times!

Sorry final point - why’s she obsessed with saying nuance? Does she listen to the high low podcast or something because those two manage to slip that in to every bloody sentence 😂

• Haha
hate that with the PTSD/abuse stories she’s also making it a gender thing - that she’s a woman she deserves more sympathy bc a man wouldn’t deal with this criticism?

i don’t necessarily think she’s wrong but this is a class and privilege discussion, not a #girlboss moment

Reactions: 23
I don’t think what she’s said actually makes sense tbh. If she wants to ‘do what she does’ then fine, do it. What most people are obviously objecting to is that she’s writing books about productivity and how to be successful (in essence) when you cannot do anything to give yourself the hand up in life that she had. I personally don’t care if she is rich or successful - rich families going to be rich - but she could grow some self awareness and not preach to other people about how to ‘be like her’. Just get on with your dopey businesses and be quiet? We’ve heard more than enough from you. I would say the very fact that she thinks she is someone whose work ethic is so determinative of her success to write a book about it actually undermines any semblance of her recognising her privilege at all regardless of what she says, actions speak louder than words

Reactions: 19
I was a Grez fan and even had her book on pre-order (which I've just cancelled ha) but since discovering this thread she's really gone down in my estimations. I have heard her say "I acknowledge my privilege" several times and honestly thought she meant it like "I'm white, living in a rich country, I went to Oxford" not "I'm privately educated, heir to millions, had huge amounts of help in setting up my businesses". I'm really disappointed she wasn't more "transparent".

I've only just discovered that Deliciously Ella's grandad owns bloody Sainsbury's too so safe to say my faith in influencers has been shot to pieces. Didn't realise I was so gullible lol

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 68
The fact that she's only bringing up her experiences with abuse/PTSD to deflect away from very pertinent discussions about class and privilege does really not sit right with me. Abuse survivors are of course valid to speak up on their experiences, but this very much feels like she is manipulating people into feeling sorry for her by disclosing just enough information that they leave her alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Good lord my IQ has just dropped significantly watching that..

She sort of looked like she’s about to cry in the last few - would you see a GENUINE serious businessman/woman ever do that ? No 😅 imagine bloody Richard Branson saying ‘sorry our plane crashed but I’ve actually overcome a lot of obstacles in my life’ absolutely not.

Sad to see her face so frozen and those teeth which sort of look like they don’t fit.. I preferred old school natural cute fun grace who posted gym videos and what I eat in a day.. simpler times!

Sorry final point - why’s she obsessed with saying nuance? Does she listen to the high low podcast or something because those two manage to slip that in to every bloody sentence 😂
it's her new favourite word, she seems to go though phases with overusing an "academic" style word, I cannot remember what the other ones she has over used in the past. I am convinced she has one of those "word a day" calendars :LOL:

Reactions: 14
its very telling for me that she felt the need to address this considering how much she's distanced herself from social media - i think a lot of people on here even pointed out this viral tweet was much bigger than people having a problem with her, and was more of a general comment on privilege and influencers in light of all the Dubai nonsense recently. She could have done a 30 second video saying she agreed with the sentiment and that she is extremely privileged. No one would take from that that shes a bad person. Bad would be using this to frame herself as the victim, and promote her book... oh wait

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
I think she should employ you to be her PR manager. Seriously. Sorry for arse licking but your posts always bring something new to light that I could never think of myself. I have learned a lot from all your discussions and think the way you present your points are just *chefs kiss*. They are genuine criticisms and I definitely have thought differently many many times after reading your posts. I think you have a special gift or something to change someone’s mind without attacking them and I would love to see grace up against you.

She's kind of stuck because she can't gain other people's trust without being fully transparent, which means being transparent not just about her own family and background but about her business practices. But now that she's constructed the issue as a question of a learning curve, she can't bring the business practices into it, because it's just inadequate and blatantly classist to excuse her exploitation of other, more vulnerable people as part of this 'learning curve'.

She's now exposed quite a personal detail about being a victim of severe abuse and IMO that is not something she should discuss now. It's manipulative to bring up abuse to escape accountability. But also, looking out for her own mental wellbeing, it will really hurt her to read people saying stuff like "it's manipulative to bring [your abuse] up now to deflect criticism", and it will hurt her to see people dismiss it, which is exactly what is going to happen and has already started to happen. I can't imagine thousands of people talking about my abuse in that way.

She just needs to put the phone down, not think about it for a while and come up with a response that respectfully addresses the issue - for her own sake and everyone else's.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

innit! can see why she doesn't want to be the poster child for white upper class privilege, but if she wants any stake in the conversation she needs to be completely transparent about her experiences, or say nothing - realise this is bigger than her - and let people have the conversation without her. Its times like this when i feel sorry for her in a way because shes just a human trying to do her best but completely fails to understand why she receives this criticism.

Reactions: 13
can see why she doesn't want to be the poster child for white upper class privilege
Thing is though, she's chosen to do these 'jobs' that put her in the public eye, so she can't then shy away from being the poster child for that because that's what she is. If I were her and had all this money, I would spin it differently - like yes, I'm extremely wealthy, but here's how I'm using my background and platform to further good causes, and ones that may not be the Most profitable or whatever. Her whole thing was that TALA was ethical and sustainable gym wear and she's always saying it's sold at low profit or whatever...there is a way that she could've used her background to her advantage, but she hasn't because she keeps trying to gloss over it instead. I would've liked to see her talk about the privilege issue without mentioning her 'hard work' at all, that would've made it more authentic (not that it is anyway for the reason I said above). I just think it's a missed opportunity for her tbh, she can't get away from being rich but she can control how she uses it and this is Not It

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.