Gogglebox

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Obviously it's just me then. I tend to know something about the movies I choose to watch, so if they're based on real stories or book adaptations the chances are I'll know how the story goes.

Obviously it's just me then. I tend to know something about the movies I choose to watch, so if they're based on real stories or book adaptations the chances are I'll know how the story goes.
Not everyone does though. I had no idea.

I think the OP wasn't just generalising over that particular film either, they've done it on a few films and series where they've shown the ending and totally spoiled the plot. It is annoying really. But then I guess on the flip side, you could argue that you shouldn't watch gogglebox if you don't want to find out what's happened. :ROFLMAO: I see it from both sides.

Reactions: 8
I always check the description for the main things they’re going to watch to check I’m not ruining anything I’d want to watch... for a while we were saving Unforgotten for the weekends and I was so paranoid it was going to pop up on Gogglebox on the Friday!

Reactions: 2
Not everyone does though. I had no idea.

I think the OP wasn't just generalising over that particular film either, they've done it on a few films and series where they've shown the ending and totally spoiled the plot. It is annoying really. But then I guess on the flip side, you could argue that you shouldn't watch gogglebox if you don't want to find out what's happened. :ROFLMAO: I see it from both sides.
I had said that it obviously must just be me then. And I agree with the second part of your second point, don't watch gogglebox if you haven't seen what's on it but plan to watch it, it's obviously going to be spoiled on some level.

I suppose I just find it an odd complaint to make about a show which is about people watching TV/film. The reactionary or good talking points are probably going to be spoilers to things.

I really like Giles. I used to like both of them but I have been watching all the old series on Netflix (lockdown life y'know) and the way Mary talks to him sometimes is vile. He's not allowed to whistle, to say certain words because it irritates her. Feel sorry for this poor Giles sometimes haha
I suffer with misphonia... whistling , chewing , crunching , sucking , slurping , clapping ....my husband licks his lips and I go bleeping mental. Any of the above makes me quite ill .. though I do think hers isn’t misphonia it’s just irritation towards Giles 😂.. he is a joy though , I’d love to sit there with a beer with him . I could listen to him all night

Reactions: 12
3 days after I had my baby I was in full hormonal baby blues mode. Giles made a joke. It was a Phil Mitchell impression. Anyway he totally lifted me out my fog and I’ll always remember that! I was in fits out laughter (with a caesarean scar owwwww) and fits of tears that were uncontrolled. Like happy sad hormonal I just had a baby what the duck tears. Thank you Giles. The nations sweetheart.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
I absolutely love this show!! Isn't it crazy how entertaining it is watching other people watch the telly :LOL: I think for a lot of people who feel lonely it can be nice to feel like you're watching something with someone else!

• Heart
I absolutely love this show!! Isn't it crazy how entertaining it is watching other people watch the telly :LOL: I think for a lot of people who feel lonely it can be nice to feel like you're watching something with someone else!
thats true, its also why i like watching something and typing on the thread, its like you are in a room watching the same thing, makes the program better, when i stopped using DS, i stopped using the soaps section, and then i stopped watching the soaps as it was awful without a thread.

Reactions: 5
It annoys me a bit when they spoil a film. I fancy that Escape To Pretoria film but thanks to gogglebox I pretty much know what happens
That was really odd.

They're not usually so bad at showing spoilers but it's a new film and gave a lot of it away. I think generally, their editing is very good.

I remember wanting to watch Haunting of Hill House and they showed a clip of it every week but when I did get around to watching it I found they hadn't given anything away at all.

Reactions: 4
Is that the new daytime TV show :D what on earth are people watching

Goes off to see when its on :D :D

Better episode this week , i think the programs they watched were better, i did give a huge laugh when Jenni was rubbing that cream into her face, i know its all set up with those two , but i did have a good laugh over it :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Is that the new daytime TV show :D what on earth are people watching

Goes off to see when its on :D :D

Better episode this week , i think the programs they watched were better, i did give a huge laugh when Jenni was rubbing that cream into her face, i know its all set up with those two , but i did have a good laugh over it :D
It looked like sudocrem to me 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The F1 stuff annoyed me on Friday. The Grosjean crash was all over the news and social media when it happened last year and yet they were all acting like it was the first time they'd heard anything about it.

Ok, at a stretch for some of them it might be new, but you can't have Marcus talking about going to Silverstone being a dream birthday and knowing who Grosjean is as soon as he appears on screen, and then expect people to believe his shock and disbelief at him walking away from that crash (which happened almost four months ago!) is genuine.

• Heart
The F1 stuff annoyed me on Friday. The Grosjean crash was all over the news and social media when it happened last year and yet they were all acting like it was the first time they'd heard anything about it.

Ok, at a stretch for some of them it might be new, but you can't have Marcus talking about going to Silverstone being a dream birthday and knowing who Grosjean is as soon as he appears on screen, and then expect people to believe his shock and disbelief at him walking away from that crash (which happened almost four months ago!) is genuine.
I whinged about this very thing over on the F1 thread on Friday. Just screamed of Gogglebox scripting the show and further enhancing how fake the show really is these days.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
To be fair, I don't think I'd heard about the crash but I don't follow F1 or any sport at all. Agree it's unlikely Marcus wouldn't know about it as he follows F1.

Reactions: 9
Does anyone else get annoyed when they go out of their way to explain the plot to each other, with character names and all?

I know it’s set up for the audience’s benefit, but I swear they didn’t do this in early series and we managed to follow along just fine?

It’s nearly always Pete and Sophie too - “oh so Veronica is going to confront Steve now because of the phone call he made earlier” that kind of thing. WE KNOW!

• Haha
To be fair, I don't think I'd heard about the crash but I don't follow F1 or any sport at all. Agree it's unlikely Marcus wouldn't know about it as he follows F1.
I hadn’t heard of it happening until it was on Gogglebox so it’s definitely plausible that for some of the families it was the first they’d seen. But Marcus would have known already I’m sure.

Reactions: 6

I wouldn’t have had any idea who Grosjean is/was and had no idea about that crash or anything at all to do with it....! I watch the news every evening, but a random story like that just doesn’t stick in the memory for those who have no interest in the sport or whatever.
maybe Marcus had heard about it when it happened but I guess seeing it as a stand alone program that they are being paid to watch and comment On was going to generate a response. Hell, even I was like “oh my god now way is that him walking out of that!!!”

Reactions: 7
I wouldn’t have had any idea who Grosjean is/was and had no idea about that crash or anything at all to do with it....! I watch the news every evening, but a random story like that just doesn’t stick in the memory for those who have no interest in the sport or whatever.
maybe Marcus had heard about it when it happened but I guess seeing it as a stand alone program that they are being paid to watch and comment On was going to generate a response. Hell, even I was like “oh my god now way is that him walking out of that!!!”
I said in my original post that some people might not have known about it.

You've said you don't know who he is and spoken about your reaction, which is understandable given your circumstances. Marcus knew who he was and was talking about F1 before you saw the crash so to act clueless to the situation seemed fake as hell to me.

I’m beyond irritated with most of them now.
I still quite like the Welsh couple, as they as the only ones either not playing up or making political statements / wises cracks.
Julie Malone is now acting like she is clueless about everything. It’s childish play acting and not even entertaining.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.