Glow Up - BBC Three

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sephora is back in the UK. Not a fan of them though, I miss Feel Unique. Thought we’d have Sephora US type things but no, it’s like Sephora France, which is a bit rubbish. Makeup by Mario left Cult Beauty and went on Sephora UK but increased the price point. They also sell medicine which just feels odd.

Back to Glow Up- watched the first episode of this new series and I’m done with the show. Not only is the presenter wooden, the contestants are pretty much the same throughout all the different series, they are way too OTT (all this crying the screaming is just too American for me) but what I noticed is that the makeup they do is so outdated. This heavy makeup look with foundation, brows, contour, eyeshadow, lashes, bronzer, blush, lipstick, lipliner, highlighter which the contestants seem to wear is really unfashionable now. It hasn’t been popular since pre pandemic. So it just feels a bit dated for me.
I saw a preview for the second episode and the main challenge looks exactly like this week’s challenge. Face paint, prosthetics, bald caps, ad nauseam. I feel like it’s had its day unless they shake it up majorly.

Reactions: 8
1. I hate the new presenter - and to think we were moaning about Stacey & Maya!
2. This is not a programme about glowing up - it's face painting (sometimes badly) and sob stories disguised in challenge briefs.
3. Ding Dong is getting annoying! As are Val's glasses
4. Saphron is my fave so far.

Reactions: 14
Ridiculous when one of the MUA tried to squeeze out some tears during one of the challenges - imagine being that model sat there like 😐😬.
I feel all these MUA’s come across as so self obsessed too.

Reactions: 9
Had to pop on here and say I’ve always watched the show and generally love watching it. But I cannot abide the GCSE Art style mood boards with their childish explanations of “why I’m so sad” scribbled around cliche bad drawings of faces using blunt pencils.
Thanks. Had to get that out there 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Ridiculous when one of the MUA tried to squeeze out some tears during one of the challenges - imagine being that model sat there like 😐😬.
I feel all these MUA’s come across as so self obsessed too.
They are all young and have grown up on a very self obsessed social media diet, most of them if not all have probably been working on their YouTube/Instagram profiles for years. It can’t fail to shape their personalities somewhat. Howard at age 30 seems more grounded and sweet, he may well have escaped that self absorbed YouTube hell as he’s mostly been working in real people rather than on himself or one model for content.

Reactions: 10
They are all young and have grown up on a very self obsessed social media diet, most of them if not all have probably been working on their YouTube/Instagram profiles for years. It can’t fail to shape their personalities somewhat. Howard at age 30 seems more grounded and sweet, he may well have escaped that self absorbed YouTube hell as he’s mostly been working in real people rather than on himself or one model for content.
Yes agree with this. I like saphron and Sarah but the rest I’m either meh about or find annoying.

Reactions: 3
I just feel every season now has the obligatory non- binary person, the person with a tragic story, someone with mental health battles.
Its become formulaic and takes away from what it could be.

Reactions: 23
I wonder how many of this years contestants have actually worked on various different faces? I remember last year there was one girl panicking on a challenge as she’d only ever done facepainting makeup on herself 🙄🙄🙄

In the spirit of diversity I wish there were more mature applicants that are maybe wanting to break into the industry as a career change rather than too many 18-25 age demographic.

I’m still seeing bad foundation tones on Leonie and Teisha. There was one blonde model on the Sephora challenge with appalling pale yellow foundation on with that awful tide mark around the jawline which was screamingly obvious on the shoot yet I don’t recall any of the judges saying anything about it. Can’t remember the artist but I was like WTF

Reactions: 12
1. I hate the new presenter - and to think we were moaning about Stacey & Maya!
2. This is not a programme about glowing up - it's face painting (sometimes badly) and sob stories disguised in challenge briefs.
3. Ding Dong is getting annoying! As are Val's glasses
4. Saphron is my fave so far.
Don't forget the stupid pink eyebrows.

Reactions: 6
I am so over this series. The first two series were brilliant but it’s gone seriously downhill. Another prosthetic challenge, drop me out !!

Reactions: 11
This series is dire every week has been about prosthetics the sephora challenge really showed that none of them know how to do make up for occasion.

Reactions: 9
I honestly can’t work out why they need two hours. I get my face done in about 5 minutes. And a Hannah Martin did a full face in 4 mins 37 or something on a live. It baffles me.

Reactions: 4
I watch out of habit now. The only bit I really liked originally was the face off elimination challenge because I got to see a profe show how you do a smokey eye (I’m a complete clueless woman when it comes to make up) and I got to learn a few things. Then seeing two people try to imitate it was quite refreshing to know that it isn’t as easy as it looks!

Now they are out of ideas for that part and it’s seeing who can apply crystals to someone’s face evenly. Like when did you last see someone walking round looking like that?

The challenges are all the same. Bring on bald caps that the contestants have never used, prosthetics that they have never used…. Seriously I’m assuming the contestants aren’t hostages dragged off the streets and have time to practice at least once before going on the show!

I’d like to see more challenges involving real make up including the mood board ones. Maybe one or two crazy ones but every episode is just too much.

I find the contestants irritating and very self centred. Most of them clearly don’t care if they win or not, they just want to be in long enough to gain more followers.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
They’re quite sneery as well when someone is good at beauty, like it’s lesser.

Reactions: 10