Glow Up - BBC Three

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It doesn't know what it wants to be. The SFX don't compare to the quality shown on a show I used to watch called something like Face/Off.

I'd love to see each artist get a client with a skin concern, an event to go to/theme and have at it without jiggly bits of latex made to look like gills. It's tired.

Reactions: 12
It doesn't know what it wants to be. The SFX don't compare to the quality shown on a show I used to watch called something like Face/Off.

I'd love to see each artist get a client with a skin concern, an event to go to/theme and have at it without jiggly bits of latex made to look like gills. It's tired.
I loved face/off!! Totally agree with you that skin complaints would be a much better use of their skills. Or even something like make up that has to withstand an underwater shoot (like they used to do back in top model days) or similar.

Reactions: 8
Is the Irish one the same format? Hoping for more glam less facepainting. I’ve downloaded the first episode now I’ve finished the latest Brit series.
Yep pretty much the same format as this one. But felt less try hard

Reactions: 4
I also agree with proposal that models have skin concerns etc, be interesting to see how they deal with it.

One series they had an underwater part didn't they where they then had photos (by Rankin?) Was Rankin in this series, he's been on every other one?

Reactions: 8
I also agree with proposal that models have skin concerns etc, be interesting to see how they deal with it.

One series they had an underwater part didn't they where they then had photos (by Rankin?) Was Rankin in this series, he's been on every other one?
Didnt spot him- I like the week he's on. He gives quite good critiques.
Does anybody else remember a similar programme on bbc3 presented by steve jones but with hair. I loved that.

Reactions: 6
Deserved winner - feel they were the most ‘all rounder’ and could do the glam as well as the SFX and more ‘out there’ looks. But agree I’m so bored and over the face painting making monsters challenges. That’s all for instagram - you never see people with that make up knocking around 😂

also very much doubt that axels parents called their son axel from looking at them😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Deserved winner - feel they were the most ‘all rounder’ and could do the glam as well as the SFX and more ‘out there’ looks. But agree I’m so bored and over the face painting making monsters challenges. That’s all for instagram - you never see people with that make up knocking around 😂

also very much doubt that axels parents called their son axel from looking at them😂
Said before, i think he's an alex who changed his name to be 'edgy'. Saw an interview where he said his family are very religious.

Reactions: 7
I think his real name is Aled. Just seen him pop up on the telly to promote songs of praise and I realised THAT was who Axel reminds me of. Sorry Axel 😂
---
Also. I thought Roo’s flatmate was a sibling. The Benny from crossroads hat and round glasses is clearly a thing..

• Haha
Roo was really pretty with their hair tied back whilst doing their makeup in the morning shots - but the yellow bowl/mullet cut really doesn't do anything for them imo but each to their own.

The show just needs a bit of a glow-up itself now

I’ve watched all the UK Glow ups and am now binging the Glow up Ireland. I prefer it. I think the production values are slightly lower but I think that’s because it was 2021 and covid was still an issue. For some reason the face painting and the monsters/aliens don’t bother be as much as the British ones. Can’t explain why. I liked they did quite a lot of beauty stuff too including red carpet.

the judges I prefer too. Was Emma O’Byrne ever a model? She really reminds me of Linda Evangelista in the early 90s? She’s very striking looking. I prefer CathyAnne to Val G. She gives better critique and is calm and measured, but with heart.

Caolán cracked me up with the Donatella look. A ropier looking female impersonator look I cannot imagine! Very unflattering! Both judges have done the real Donatella’s makeup so I think they were a bit taken back but rolled with the humour aspect.

I think overall it’s the Irish humour that makes me prefer this version. Does anyone know if they are bringing it back? I can’t find anything online about another season

Reactions: 2
Glow Up Live at London Palladium in October ... 'you decide who wins' is the catchphrase

Tickets are not sold out ;)

• Wow
agreed dom and Val are very samey samey
I don’t know who else could host it. I don’t think Lisa Eldridge would be good as a host, I think she’s more of a contributor. I think Trinny could be a good choice. Even though she doesn’t do makeup I reckon Caroline Hirons would be a hilariously bad judge. Maybe a good former YouTuber since so many have given up on doing makeup these days?

Reactions: 1
I’ve watched every season of this show and the only MUA that I was impressed with out of all of them was Ophelia from season 2.
Maybe it’s because there’s a majority of young contestants but I find it very GSCE art project with almost all the looks and their answers to the briefs. They all seem to have the same story. 😑
I don’t think the looks are very good or at least I haven’t been WOW’d by them, like others have said it’s a lot of face painting and not a lot of make up skills.

I wish they’d adopt the level of talent they have in other shows like Next in Fashion, appreciate they’re already established designers already in the industry but I’m sure there’s high talented MUAs wanting an opportunity like this out there…

Reactions: 9
I’ve watched every season of this show and the only MUA that I was impressed with out of all of them was Ophelia from season 2.
I always remember when Ophelia had that hissy fit when she had to do a Pokémon look for Strictly. She knows she’s good so she came across as a bit insincere at times.

I think a good judge might be Lisa Armstrong. She does Strictly as well as lots of other stuff.
Agree the big stagey prosthetic looks got a bit boring and unrelatable tbh. Even something like 'Red carpet glamour' would be interesting, or emulate a celebrity's signature makeup look.
(Apologies if they actually did something like this, I didn't see the whole series).

I'd also like to see more cultural looks. Japanese Geisha is very unique, they could get a masterclass then have a go themselves to recreate. Even Mexican day of the dead.
As long as it's done sensitively I think it could be interesting.