Glastonbury 2023 #2 because we haven't finished talking about music yet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just in case anyone wants to head back to the times where we were all obsessed with Mongolian folk metal 🤘 - The Hu's set from last year is now on Spotify / other streaming services!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Just in case anyone wants to head back to the times where we were all obsessed with Mongolian folk metal 🤘 - The Hu's set from last year is now on Spotify / other streaming services!
I saw these at download last year and they were incredible! I’d also recommend Heilung who are at Glasto this year!

Reactions: 1
This is interesting. Might go some way to explaining the problems they had booking headliners this year.

I totally get her point about costs as she would have tour manager, band, tech people. hotels, travel to pay, and they likely cost far more than what the festival pays here - however she is missing the point that of all the festivals, the size, scale and variety of attendees at Glastonbury is what makes it such a treasure trove to discover new music. I've never really pored over the schedule and planned the day, sure it might be to end up at the Pyramid for the final headliner of the day but the rest of the time it's just wandering around, hearing something interesting, and going over to see what it is. Most festivals don't have that because they are full of either well established acts, or they have a particular theme like rock/metal etc.

I think what a lot of artistes do is understand that there is still an honour to being invited to play at Glastonbury of all the festivals, and they then as best they can, build other tour dates around it, so that spreads the cost of performing out over several weeks or months worth of gigs.

Reactions: 3
I totally get her point about costs as she would have tour manager, band, tech people. hotels, travel to pay, and they likely cost far more than what the festival pays here - however she is missing the point that of all the festivals, the size, scale and variety of attendees at Glastonbury is what makes it such a treasure trove to discover new music. I've never really pored over the schedule and planned the day, sure it might be to end up at the Pyramid for the final headliner of the day but the rest of the time it's just wandering around, hearing something interesting, and going over to see what it is. Most festivals don't have that because they are full of either well established acts, or they have a particular theme like rock/metal etc.

I think what a lot of artistes do is understand that there is still an honour to being invited to play at Glastonbury of all the festivals, and they then as best they can, build other tour dates around it, so that spreads the cost of performing out over several weeks or months worth of gigs.
I don't think they can reconcile it being an honour to play for a loss at something that is very profitable for those in charge.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It doesn’t matter how much of an ‘honour’ it is, if you’re jeopardising your financial security or you simply haven’t got the money to fund it, then you can’t do it.

Nadine did say it was worth the financial hit if you had a televised slot as the increased exposure made up for it financially in that case, but not otherwise. She’s also said that she recently had to move in with her parents for a while as she couldn’t afford her rent, so clearly she’s not in a position to work at a loss.

It rankles me that people are so often expected to work for nothing. I’ve been freelance for almost twenty years and I’ve lost count of the number of times hugely profitable international companies have expected me to work for free or for less than minimum wage because a project with them will ‘look good’ on my portfolio 🤬

Reactions: 2