Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ls240898

VIP Member
I know I’m middle-aged and probably have little clue what’s ‘big’ among the cool kids nowadays, but is Dua Lipa a ‘headline act’? 🫤

I’d say Dua is a headline, not so sure about SZA though. There have been rumours for months that it was Madonna, then it was Stevie Wonder and both dropped out. Word with a friend is that SZA was to headline the Other stage and got bumped up

Reactions: 2

Sibz

VIP Member
I'd love it to be Cher or Madonna 🤩

I hope it's not just hype like when Elton John had special guests last year, and names like Britney, Kiki Dee, Dua Lipa were being thrown about, and it ended up being mostly unknown singers :cautious::ROFLMAO:

• Haha

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Beyoncé headlined in 2010 so not sure it’d be her again.
she did, but she was only a few solo albums in at that point and her whole production (and material) has hugely evolved since then. i could see it, especially after how well her cochaella weekend went. she’s even more famous than she was when she did glasto first time around.

It doesn’t matter how much of an ‘honour’ it is, if you’re jeopardising your financial security or you simply haven’t got the money to fund it, then you can’t do it.

Nadine did say it was worth the financial hit if you had a televised slot as the increased exposure made up for it financially in that case, but not otherwise. She’s also said that she recently had to move in with her parents for a while as she couldn’t afford her rent, so clearly she’s not in a position to work at a loss.

It rankles me that people are so often expected to work for nothing. I’ve been freelance for almost twenty years and I’ve lost count of the number of times hugely profitable international companies have expected me to work for free or for less than minimum wage because a project with them will ‘look good’ on my portfolio 🤬

ls240898

VIP Member
I’d actually never even heard of SZA 😳

I think of Dua Lipa as someone who has released a few averagely nice dance/pop songs, rather than a Glastonbury headliner. Maybe there’s more to her than that. 🤷‍♀️
I know what you mean, she’s won loads of Grammys, Brits etc but that doesn’t make a headliner. The only real “headliner” there with star power is Coldplay. And the undercard isn’t exactly great either. Shania’s a good pick for the legends slot though!

LittleMissOnions

VIP Member
Have I never heard of SZA because I’m old-ish (37) or is she not really that famous?

See the only one that excites me is Shania Twain, used to love her and still know all the words to her songs 🤣 will enjoy watching her on the tv though.

Think I will give Kendal Calling a try with the kids over the next couple of years.
I’m older than you and whilst I’ve heard of her (she’s massive on Spotify) neither me nor any of our 5 kids (13-28) can name a track 😂

I’ve been to Kendall calling and didn’t like it, it felt a bit like Reading and Leeds lite, there was a death in the campsite (drugs) and lots of blokes pissing against fences.

Have you looked at Deer Shed? Whilst it doesn’t get the big names, it’s very family friendly and the campsites allow you to pre book pitches, I’ve also done Camp Bestival with the kids which was fun but a pain to get to (don’t know what their new site in Shropshire is like)

Bobbleowl90

VIP Member
I’ve never heard of SZA either! There’s actually nobody in the lineup I’m gutted about missing.

I've been lurking on this thread and thinking about a festival for next year to take our two children to (aged 12 and 8). One of our children is disabled so we would need a festival with good access - we would be using a wheelchair. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good family friendly festival that's not on an absolutely massive site, and might be ok with a wheelchair? We have been to Latitude for a few years now which has reasonable access but the access campsite is really close to several stages which is ok during the day but in the evening none of us got any sleep! Ideally we want somewhere close but protected from the noise. And the moon on a stick, so it would seem... I saw some earlier chat on here about Kendal Calling which sounds good, does anyone have any insight into the access here?
We are doing access camping at Kendal this summer so I can definitely let you know! ☺

Fifah1907

VIP Member
According to the forums they were in talks with Madonna for ages, they fell thro a few weeks ago, they then talked to Stevie W and then Stevie Nicks, this is why we’ve had no announcements till now.

Sza was very much a late min addition and booked because over here for Hyde Park (plus she filled Emily’s promise for two female headliners, if it had been Stevie Wonder they were going with the we have a female legend too line).

It’s great when they do get a true legend, I loved the Stones and Macca, but I was probably blown away more by Stormzy is 72 years old is 72 years old so you never know!

I’m off to Jamie XX, Disclosure and The National, unless Chris Martin gives me one of those flashing bracelets that is (I’m easily bought!)

I love that tattle still adds the bit about Stormzy is 72 years old’s age 😂

troutpout69

VIP Member
QOTSA weren’t on the initial poster last year or Foos, me and my 16yr old are forever hopeful that Pulp will be a late addition/secret set, He loved Blossoms last year, we have a joke that only Morrissey understands him being the tortured teen that he is 😂
Yeah I’d love Pulp, Prodigy, Kasabian, Underworld, Gerry Cinammon, James and The Smile to all pop up! 😂

• Heart

troutpout69

VIP Member
Why do you think the big names fell through? surely if they pull off a great set it's a win win?
I believe Stevie Wonder was too ill and they couldn’t come to an agreement with Madge! Don’t forget though that there’s still secret sets. Pretenders were added at the last minute last year and also Rick Astley with The Blossoms and both were ace!

Bonbon76

VIP Member
Or maybe we have finished talking about music 🤣

Anyway, I've still got Fatboy Slim to catch up on

Reactions: 1

DipsyDoodle

VIP Member
I only know her as I saw her in the crappy Brits a few weeks ago and thought she was shite then!
This is my 13th, although I had a break of 9 years when I had my kids and went back in 2019 and been to them all since then! It gets bigger and bigger, so prepare to be surprised at how many extra people are there now! The Park area is now mobbed on a wed and thurs!
I am expecting massive changes since I was last there!

chickhicks86

VIP Member
Haven’t watched him myself yet, still can’t bring myself to watch guns n roses even just to see how bad it was 🤣🤣
I've seen people post who have seen them since, who have said that they were fantastic. I wonder if they sounded better if you were there rather than through the BBC?

Thanks to whoever suggested watching The Hu on the last thread....Mongolian folk metal is now life. 🤘

JulesC

VIP Member
Beyoncé headlined in 2010 so not sure it’d be her again.
---
Cher would be amazing 😍

ls240898

VIP Member
I think the issue was that Emily had promised 2 female headliners after the fuck up of last year, she was determined to sign Madonna (hence why she gave the third slot to Coldplay as they play for free)
But even tho she had the cash Madge bailed at the last min leaving her high and dry, they tried Stevie Nicks which didn’t work and we’ve left with Sza.
I’ll be at the Other Stage for The National and Park for London Grammar, clashes willing maybe a bit of Jamie XX
They tried Stevie Wonder I’ve heard as well. Madonna was meant to be playing Hyde Park alongside Glasto, dropped out, Stevie W replaced her at both then he dropped out. I feel like I would’ve preferred to see Olivia Rodrigo get a leg up or something