Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

yellowmellow

VIP Member
I thought Lorelei and Rory were pretty likeable at first. I liked the dynamic of mom and daughter being best friends etc etc. Although I've never liked how Lorelei treated Emily. I cringed myself inside out when Rory asked Logan to dance at the renewal and asked if he was going to ask her out... THEN she dragged him off for no strings sex. She truly has the sex appeal of a wet flannel.

• Haha
Reactions: 10

Mookiegoose

I am always gonna be team loralai 😂 I will defend her to anyone. I hate what they did to her in the revival
I hated Lorelei and Rory by the end of the entire series (including a year in the life). Lorelei was a fickle pain in the arse who couldn't stick to a decision or a man if her life depended on it.

She was also entirely spoiled and entitled (as was Rory) but liked to pretend she was so independent. If she was that independent, she wouldn't have had to tap up her parents and Luke for money.

Will probably still re-watch again this year!

Mr Krabs

VIP Member
I used to watch it on E4. I remember they’d have the Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill on just as I’d get home from college. When they got to the final episode, they’d start the series over again.

yellowmellow

VIP Member
I’ve just started season 4 and wow. It has gotten bad.
Rory and Lorelei are going on my last nerve (even more than usual), I had to turn if off when Lorelei slept in Rory’s dorm?!

And what happened to Jess? He just left like that? 😂
On season 6 and could strangle Rory and not feel any guilt really easily - She's like a child playing at being a grown-up thinking the world owes her something.

• Haha

Honeystar

VIP Member
Keep seeing a lot of comments on TT etc about Richard when Rory drops out and I think I view it totally different to everyone else. To me, it wasn’t about him going behind Loreali’s back but instead it was him trying to rectify the wrongs he made with Loreali. In that moment when Rory was on the doorstep in tears I think he saw it as his chance to do what he never did for his daughter and support her life choice and not force her down the path he wanted her to go. Obviously we know how that turned out but I never saw it as being a malicious move to Loreali, more his guilt about their relationship and how he acted in the past.

• Heart

queenamber

VIP Member
Oh my god I’m up to the bit of my rewatch where Dean cheats on his wife with Rory 🙄 I absolutely hate this story line
They were so weird about sexuality and virginity in Gilmore Girls. I wonder if it was just because it was the early 00s but Amy Sherman Palladino seems quite liberal until it comes to sex. She punished every female character for losing her virginity! Rory, Paris, and Lane off the top of my head. And the constant reminders that Lorelai had a teen pregnancy. Maybe it's just because we've evolved but it's really noticeable on a rewatch!

Anyone else starting an autumn re-watch
And yes, everytime I rewatch certain characters and storylines really annoy me but it is a comfort watch for me as the evenings get shorter and darker

JLXRD

VIP Member
I am watching for the first time and I’ve just started season 7 and WHYYYYY did they have to ruin L&L by having her sleep with Christopher 😭 it’s literally just happened so I don’t know the fall out yet but I don’t see it being good.

Why couldn’t Luke just say yes to eloping 🙁

Don’t know if it’s because I’m watching it as a 30 year old for the first time but Rory is sweet but just a bit boring to me? I much prefer the Lorelai stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Lola Ruby

Finally finished watching Gilmore Girls for the first time recently, followed by A Year in the Life. So many thoughts!

- Firstly (looks like a lot of you agree with me ha) I really didn't particularly like Rory or Lorelai? I thought they were both OK to begin with but just found them both more and more insufferable as the seasons went on. Especially Rory in season 5, omg she was just vile to everyone and soo spoiled.
- Didn't really like any of Rory's love interests - even Jess was pretty awful to her by just taking off and ghosting her. Would have liked to have seen them reconnect to see how that would pan out though. I'm disappointed she never got together with Marty as he seemed nice! Logan was awful and smarmy and that scene in one of the last episodes where he's talking to Lorelai about his business ideas - ickkkk, also hated the nickname 'ace'
- Every single man in the series, well Rory and Lorelai's love interests at least, are insanely jealous
- Lane's whole storyline made me so sad, she never got to really live her own life and her mum was soo abusive to her, actually found a lot of her scenes quite upsetting to watch.
- For all their faults, I LOVED Emily and Richard, love their dynamic, they were so believable in their respective roles. Emily reminded me of my grandma sometimes ha! Love the episode where Richard's mum has died and Emily finds out she never wanted her to marry Richard and she stops giving a shit and is sat in her pyjamas getting drunk during the day 😂 there's a bit I love where she says "I think we should just throw some cheese cubes in the coffin, stuff some toothpicks in her mouth, and let them have at it" LOL
- Noone seems to have any friends??? Like when they're planning events it's always "I'll invite Sookie, Jackson, Lane..." and that's it haha
- The Luke finding out he's a dad storyline was weird although I did like seeing him stepping up as a dad. April and her lisp annoyed me too, glad I'm not the only one!
- I cried during the episode about Richard's heart attack (the second one) and the last one, knowing what's to come. The first episode of AYITL too - it felt like you could feel their genuine sadness at Edward Herrmann's death :(
- AYITL - a friend advised against watching this straight after Gilmore Girls so as not to ruin it but of course I didn't listen - actually thought the first episode wasn't too bad but didn't really enjoy it overall... a bit like how the Sex and the City reboot ruined the rest of the franchise for me. Some of it was just.. pointless? Like the whole Stars Hollow musical that went on forever and the Life and Death brigade scene (criiiiinge) loved seeing Emily navigate dealing with the loss of Richard and where Paris ended up (so fitting for her character) but the fact the other main characters showed zero progression pissed me off???? Like Rory who had basically still been bumming around doing F all for 10 years and was extra nasty to everyone - hated the fact she was cheating with Logan too :sick: Also Lorelai and Luke had been together for 10 years at this point and NEVER discussed getting married or having kids?? Riiiight. Found it all quite depressing by the end of it and that ending omg.

I sound very negative about both GG and AYITL hahaha but really enjoyed discovering both, I'm annoyed it took me so long and I never watched the first time round! Sad that it's over now and I have nothing to watch - got so used to spending my evenings watching!

Last edited:
  • Heart

LinaLamont

Is it any wonder Rory turned out to be an entitled brat when Lorelei spent her life telling her and everyone else how special she was? Both of them were insufferable. I do remember as a kid wanting to live in Stars Hollow though - it seemed so idyllic.

Bilbo16

VIP Member
Paris is amazing! I think Gilmore Girls is very much one of those shows where the supporting characters add so much more than the main characters 😂

• Heart

Gilmoregirl18

One of my favourite moments is Rory’s valedictorian speech when she graduates Chilton, always brings tears to my eyes.

Ef27

I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago then stopped and picked up again during lockdown, they really did Lane dirty! what was the point of setting her storyline up of being so different to her mother, super smart, quirky and in a rock band only to make her get married straight out of school and have kids? So lazy and disappointing she had so much potential. #teamjess

Lumpfish

VIP Member
Yes the ending to the revival was just perfect I think but the rest of it was awful but I’m also glad they didn’t make Rory out to be super successful as she doesn’t deserve it - she was never a credible journalist, she should never have made it onto the paper let alone be editor, she just didn’t have “it” (haha!) - I love that most people have said they fall out of love with the Gilmore Girls as time goes on.

I actually disagree and think that Luke was far too good for Lorelai, him and Anna would have made a nice couple - although I disliked the April storyline.

I think Lorelai was too selfish and entitled for Luke, she deserved to end up with someone like Christopher - privileged, rich, pretty boy and although I am Team Jess I really think Logan was the best match for the same reasons... she didn’t deserve Jess, especially when he got his act together. Jess and Logan’s scene in the bar just proved that to me!

I’m reading up on quotes from Amy Sherman Palladio and she says that she wrote Rory as there were no girls on TV who were smart and not boy obsessed - rory is 1000% boy obsessed!

Also the scene where they are at the pool in the revival just sums them up! Picking on innocent children to be at their beck and call and insulting strangers trying to have a good time!

Last edited:
Gilmore girls has always been my comfort blanket, If I have lots on my mind and can’t switch off, this is the perfect escapism I think. Certain parts still make me laugh. I love the small town charm, and how the relationships with each other are.. of course Luke and Lorelai were meant to be together!

• Heart

LadyAlys

I’ve been rewatching the series ( also my comfort/ depressed TV) and my daughter and baby granddaughter have been staying. The baby gurgled and cooed at Lorelei and Rory and the theme tune. It made us laugh. My daughter was poorly during her pregnancy and watched GG, when she was too ill to do anything... it must have seeped into the womb!
(My daughter’s friend has called her recent baby, Rory, as her and her husband didn’t like Lorelei).
Just wish Lauren Graham hadn’t ruined her face in the later series.

Lilykins

VIP Member
I decided to start rewatching AYITL and it hit me all over again how awful they are to Paul (Rory’s boyfriend) for no reason at all?? I don’t get why they even had that character/storyline. Just made Rory look like even more of a dick.