Giles Coren #2 Children of the Coren RIP Dawn Foster.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My favourite bit of gossip in this weeks Pop witch (always liked Bradley)

"That led me to recall the stand-up show by Paul Sinha in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago. He told of the time when everyone's favourite journalist, Giles Coren, was on The Chase. Sinha freely shared Bradley Walsh's reaction when the contestants lined up - 'Who's the bleep in seat one?'"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Giles Coren is back on Times Radio with his grim Mr and Mrs podcast with Esther. I actually feel a bit sorry for her. Imagine being married to such a knob and be obliged to do a podcast with him. Grim.

53D8C106-58C9-40A7-85F4-1242DCD35FBA.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Yes, when the Daily Mail reported Giles had been dropped in the summer it said they wanted to find someone to replace him who was “as unlike Giles Coren as possible”. Rob Rinder is gay, and as far as I know hasn’t said anything racist, or laughed at the premature death of a woman on Twitter, so I guess the BBC figured he would do. And I think he’s a great choice. Curiously, there hasn’t been any big announcement of Giles’ “knee-trembling new television series” which he said meant
that “in terms of scheduling, I have had to choose between this new baby and another series of Amazing Hotels.” Hmm…

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yes, when the Daily Mail reported Giles had been dropped in the summer it said they wanted to find someone to replace him who was “as unlike Giles Coren as possible”. Rob Rinder is gay, and as far as I know hasn’t said anything racist, or laughed at the premature death of a woman on Twitter, so I guess the BBC figured he would do. And I think he’s a great choice. Curiously, there hasn’t been any big announcement of Giles’ “knee-trembling new television series” which he said meant
that “in terms of scheduling, I have had to choose between this new baby and another series of Amazing Hotels.” Hmm…

I love Rob Rinder - I might even start watching the programme!

One ginormous difference from Giles is that Rob isn't at all ashamed of his ethnicity or anything else about himself; his MBE last year was for Holocaust education and awareness. Giles would also cream himself at the thought of having a best pal as A list as Benedict Cumberbatch.

“I’m very very Jewish, my family keep kosher, they are thoughtful fantastic modern orthodox, my Jewish identity is enormously positive and significant.” He continues “I’m enormously proud of my heritage, my grandfather was a holocaust survivor and to have that at the epicentre of a Jewish family highlights the ethical and moral code of being Jewish.”

• Heart
Reactions: 23
One thing that Giles Coren and Rob Rinder have in common is that they are both short. Presumably Rob Rinder doesn’t lie about his height though, and admits to being 5 foot 8, unlike Giles who claims to be 5 foot 9 when he clearly isn’t, as evidenced by the photo of him with Rinder in which Giles is clearly the shorter one. 😂

Attachments

Reactions: 9
I enjoyed Rob when he was on TalkRadio. I love Monica so will look forward to the show.

Reactions: 3
On Giles’ wife Esther Walker’s blog she has been kvetching that she’s not getting enough commissions or adoration for her liking. She’s certainly less obnoxious and problematic than Giles, but perhaps equally entitled. I wonder if it’s ever occurred to Esther that it’s her association with her toxic husband that might be the problem here. Their very confessional brand of confessional journalism and the Mr and Mrs podcast that they churn out as a BOGOF deal doesn’t really work when there’s this huge elephant in the room that they never address - that Giles mocked a woman’s premature death and has basically been cancelled apart from his restaurant reviews.
DDE32C9E-6F2F-4436-963A-6A96C8EE983B.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I (completely coincidentally) unfollowed her on Instagram recently* because she never actually engages with anybody, she just broadcasts via Stories and doesn’t allow any comments except from her best buds. Of course people will stop bothering if that’s the best she can do. I’m astonished that she’s surprised. (And that would be true without a seriously problematic husband.)

*had forgotten I was following her in the first place

Reactions: 3
One thing that Giles Coren and Rob Rinder have in common is that they are both short. Presumably Rob Rinder doesn’t lie about his height though, and admits to being 5 foot 8, unlike Giles who claims to be 5 foot 9 when he clearly isn’t, as evidenced by the photo of him with Rinder in which Giles is clearly the shorter one. 😂
Interesting, because I never thought of Rob Rinder as short whereas the Coren Creep gives off loads of short twit vibes. Presumably Rob's self-confidence, self-acceptance, and barrister experience gives him more of an command of space.

Reactions: 11
Now his sister’s beefing the humanists on Twitter because they didn’t appreciate her telling them their lives were empty and depressing 🙄 I can’t keep up with this family. Being the regular Joe cousins who are accountants or dentists or whatever must be exhausting.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Now his sister’s beefing the humanists on Twitter because they didn’t appreciate her telling them their lives were empty and depressing 🙄 I can’t keep up with this family. Being the regular Joe cousins who are accountants or dentists or whatever must be exhausting.
What's the context for this? I didn't think she was religious? 😮

Reactions: 4
But the humanists are winning because they're not related to Giles Coren.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Has Giles, dare I say it, actually been cancelled from TV, at least? He is not on anything. Not even The Chase or Countdown. What happened to his “knee trembling” new gig that he said he had to turn down another series of Amazing Hotels to present? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Oh no! 🙈 Giley’s done another racism in his column. Why does he have such contempt for Eastern Europeans?
56DC9C77-604C-49C8-B1F4-B4F1E91BB37B.jpeg

I guess it’s not as bad as when he said Polish people should leave the UK in an article he wrote in 2008 though:

"My sympathy for the plight of the modern Polack is thus limited, and if England is not the land of milk and honey it appeared to them three or four years ago, then frankly, they can clear off out of it."

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
I’ve got a Leon cook book with a recipe of his Slovakian grandma’s in, and I feel like he may have mentioned Polish ancestry at some point. My theory has always been that he looks down on Eastern Europeans who haven’t assimilated into the British upper middle class like his parents did or he feels inadequate for not being a ‘proper English gent’ and it comes out as racism against his own ancestry, like those black republicans who hate black people. Wasn’t his article about buying the country house some ‘a psychologist would have a field day with this’ thing about him not being a ‘real Englishman’?

Reactions: 14