Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The company's response on that post is gag-worthy. "We should all learn, do better, be kind." I agree we should be kind to Amy. I do not agree that kindness constitutes pretending Amy is female or knows anything about childbirth and breastfeeding

Reactions: 17
The company's response on that post is gag-worthy. "We should all learn, do better, be kind." I agree we should be kind to Amy. I do not agree that kindness constitutes pretending Amy is female or knows anything about childbirth and breastfeeding
Yep exactly. Amy is just modelling something. It's not their fault. The brand are at fault here. It's women's underwear and I don't expect to see someone who has a penis modelling it.

Would we ever see a trans man, with boobs, modelling men's underwear? Of course not.

Reactions: 14
This is really scary tbh, I genuinely don't understand how men modelling products for use by women is at all progressive. Like this isn't even normal day to day clothes that transwomen will also wear...only bio women and trans men would need a bra like that? Interesting they didn't use a trans man isn't it? Almost like there's some misogyny going on yet again...

Reactions: 18
Ah the 'be kind' brigade are the worst.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This is really scary tbh, I genuinely don't understand how men modelling products for use by women is at all progressive. Like this isn't even normal day to day clothes that transwomen will also wear...only bio women and trans men would need a bra like that? Interesting they didn't use a trans man isn't it? Almost like there's some misogyny going on yet again...
I don't have an issue with trans women wearing women's clothing, including women's underwear. Of course they should. But I do have a problem with erasing the 'women's' part. From breastfeeding to periods, women are being erased. To be brutally honest, I feel a though 'women' and 'female' have become insults. I am a feminist (and I define that as being the belief that women should have the same opportunities as men) and will not stand by whilst my body and my fears, hopes and beliefs are weaponised against me.

Women have died to get us this far in Western society, with a long way to go before we have the meritocracy we are owed. Women around the world die in their thousands giving birth, they're abused, bought and sold, denied access to healthcare, even food. Rape is used as a weapon, in war and in every street in every country on Earth. Female sex workers are seen as being an underclass, if they're raped or murdered, they're treated as though they somehow deserve it. How many tv crime dramas have women being raped, tortured and murderd? Most of them. In the US it is legal in multiple states for a man to marry a child. Female children endure the horror of genital mutilation in the UK. Women are trafficked into sex work, again in the UK.

The abuse and murder of women continues and I will not let anyone say that we are not allowed to be afraid of rape. Rape is a billion times worse than hurt bloody feelings. I will not be attacked for wanting little girls and women alike to have access to female only toilets and changing rooms. Women refuges and prisons should again be safe places. I have been raped and I would rather wee in the street than go into an enclosed space alone with men. I do not want to have my knickers around my ankles and know men are outside my cubicle, particularly as the doors are never very strong and people can easily look under or over the doors.

I am really angry and I will not stand by and let this happen. We must defend ourselves. We are being attacked, abused and threatened for existing. These people are trying to redefine what it is to be female. But being female or male isn't a pick and mix. Many want to be legally allowed to change their gender on a whim. "Today I am going to be a woman." The Tories blocked this, thank god, but they keep trying. I hate the Tories, apart from this.

I'll try and calm down now, but before I do, can I please say the biggest thank you to Tattle for letting me say these things. Thank you too for this being a safe place to do so. It's virtually the only place where we can be honest and our voices heard.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
The Tories blocked this, thank god, but they keep trying. I hate the Tories, apart from
Important to note it was Theresa May who put self ID on the table at all, though. I have no freaking clue who I'm going to be voting for next time, it really seems like there just won't be a party without an agenda on this. I absolutely abhor the thought of not voting but honestly...it might have to be that for me next time. Really sad that it's even come to this for us.

Reactions: 11
Important to note it was Theresa May who put self ID on the table at all, though. I have no freaking clue who I'm going to be voting for next time, it really seems like there just won't be a party without an agenda on this. I absolutely abhor the thought of not voting but honestly...it might have to be that for me next time. Really sad that it's even come to this for us.
I believe Laurence Fox at the new Reclaim Party (left) and definitely David Kurten at the new Heritage Party (right) are both against the self ID agenda. May be worth looking into

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
But I do have a problem with erasing the 'women's' part. From breastfeeding to periods, women are being erased.
Ah I really hate when people ask if being a female means having periods or something along those lines when you're talking about trans women.
Like of course having a period doesn't make one a female, but realistically it is only females who have periods. To say in a discussion that a mtf person isn't a 'female' because they don't have the normal female experience doesn't automatically mean I'm saying that they're not female - if any of this makes sense.
There's this huge difference between growing up as a woman and looking like a woman, and while one person may identify their gender as a female they're still missing this huge huge part of what most women experience. Just like we are likely missing the experience of being trans

Reactions: 4
Yes, if a man wants to wear a dress, that's fine. The issue is, however, that they now want to be called women and treated like women, take over our sports, our private spaces, remove our language. It's absurd
I’m not on Instagram any more but there is a well known account with a man who wears pencil skirts and very high heels to work and puts his outfits of the day on. He’s married but his wife apparently is not allowed to wear his Louboutins if I remember a comment correctly. He does not identify as a woman, just loves skirts and heels (on him)

Reactions: 2
Ah I really hate when people ask if being a female means having periods or something along those lines when you're talking about trans women.
Like of course having a period doesn't make one a female, but realistically it is only females who have periods. To say in a discussion that a mtf person isn't a 'female' because they don't have the normal female experience doesn't automatically mean I'm saying that they're not female - if any of this makes sense.
There's this huge difference between growing up as a woman and looking like a woman, and while one person may identify their gender as a female they're still missing this huge huge part of what most women experience. Just like we are likely missing the experience of being trans
They try to use the argument that if we say only women can have periods that means we're saying menopausal and women who don't have periods for whatever reason (ED, pill, etc) aren't really women but that's not what we're saying: simply put, not every woman has periods but only women can have them.

Trans women aren't female- they are males who identify as trans. Trans identified males. Not female

Reactions: 13
Yeah this is getting really weird now. Simply disagreeing with someone who is not white/not straight/trans/etc etc makes you racist/homophobic/transphobic. I would think those groups probably don’t appreciate being infantilised in that way but 🤷🏻‍♀️
well as someone who fits into one of those categories, I agree with you. I think most people who aren't sjws type people just mind their own business. I mean there's videos out there of black women being insulted when speaking about the blm riots..

Reactions: 7
does anyone else not get notifications for this thread? I have missed several pages, just catching up now. Seems to be a few new people here which is great

Reactions: 7
does anyone else not get notifications for this thread? I have missed several pages, just catching up now. Seems to be a few new people here which is great
Yeah, I didn't get any over the weekend, not sure why.

Seen a transwoman on Facebook arguing they've discriminated against/made unsafe. Context was they joined an FB conversation on a character in Harry Potter by contributing that JKR is evil and a terf. They were told their comment wasn't relevant to what the thread was about.

I don't like how Tolkien depicted black people, but I've never had to disclaimer any comment or discussion about Lord of the Rings with it.

Reactions: 10
Seen a transwoman on Facebook arguing they've discriminated against/made unsafe. Context was they joined an FB conversation on a character in Harry Potter by contributing that JKR is evil and a terf.
Another thing I'm growing tired of being expected to care about.
Women saying we don't feel safe sharing spaces we use the toilet, change, shower etc with people with penises - screamed at that we're terfs, bigots, transphobes, blah blah blahhhhh
Trans people seeing comments they don't like - this is Actual Violence TM, they don't feel safe because someone likes Harry Potter

Honestly I have zero patience for it anymore. I just can't bring myself to care. If you can't deal with people saying they like Harry Potter maybe you're too thin skinned to go on the internet? How do these people cope in the real world? Were they raised swaddled in cotton wool or something? Cannot relate.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.