Gender Discussions #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone appropriating another culture is isn't going to impact on my life where as men being praised for appropriating a different sex and forcing us to accept their word salad is more frightening to me.
I think the way you feel about this (which I agree with) is probably down to how seriously people take these different types of appropriation, though, not that one is 'worse' than the other. At present, we don't accept cultural appropriation as a basis for someone 'changing nationality' for example. If we did, I would find that just as scary and bad as people thinking we can change sex. At the moment it doesn't impact your life for someone to appropriate your culture, but it would start to impact your life if tomorrow we decided anyone can identify as whatever race or nationality they like, and start taking up opportunities for that race/nationality, access spaces for that group, etc etc. Which is what is happening now with sex appropriation. And this comes back to what I said earlier - why is sex appropriation taken so seriously and considered acceptable when the same would not be said for any other protected characteristic? It makes no sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
yeah I agree, my bf is not that bad (he cleans and I don't lol), but in so many things he just really cannot understand how it is to be a woman no matter how much I explain
Because he's always had a privileged position and not had to deal with men leering at him from a young age, not feeling unsafe walking alone, not choosing to avoid certain areas because it is wooded, he hasn't had to put up with cat calling and being sexualised when out for a run, he hasn't had passes made to him at work by his seniors in powers of authority, he hasn't been spoken down to because he is a woman, he has been dismissed because he is a woman. He hasn't experienced being a woman so he can't possibly understand the infuriation when a man says he's discriminated against because he's a woman.
I don't want to welcome men playing dress up into my space.

I've gone down a rabbit hole

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I think the way you feel about this (which I agree with) is probably down to how seriously people take these different types of appropriation, though, not that one is 'worse' than the other. At present, we don't accept cultural appropriation as a basis for someone 'changing nationality' for example. If we did, I would find that just as scary and bad as people thinking we can change sex. At the moment it doesn't impact your life for someone to appropriate your culture, but it would start to impact your life if tomorrow we decided anyone can identify as whatever race or nationality they like, and start taking up opportunities for that race/nationality, access spaces for that group, etc etc. Which is what is happening now with sex appropriation. And this comes back to what I said earlier - why is sex appropriation taken so seriously and considered acceptable when the same would not be said for any other protected characteristic? It makes no sense.
yeah I agree, I wish I could change nationality to still belong to the EU and all the benefits it provides :LOL:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Because he's always had a privileged position and not had to deal with men leering at him from a young age, not feeling unsafe walking alone, not choosing to avoid certain areas because it is wooded, he hasn't had to put up with cat calling and being sexualised when out for a run, he hasn't had passes made to him at work by his seniors in powers of authority, he hasn't been spoken down to because he is a woman, he has been dismissed because he is a woman. He hasn't experienced being a woman so he can't possibly understand the infuriation when a man says he's discriminated against because he's a woman.
I don't want to welcome men playing dress up into my space.
Agree. I find it unhelpful to talk about men 'understanding' the experience of being female anyway. This is akin to something I tell my clients. I don't understand because I haven't been what you have, but what I can do is listen to you and we go from there. I'm not asking men to somehow gain an insight into what it's like to live a life that they haven't, that's not letting them off the hook, it means listening and not just hearing what we have to tell them about that experience.

• Heart
I haven't negatively had an experience yet re cultural appropriation but I have in the past few years worked with an man who identified as a woman and was permitted to use the ladies toilets. Without question the powers that be were too scared to say no yet if I had arrived at work dressed in native american clothing asking people to refer to me as running hawk I would have been sent home. So I do get it but like I said in my previous comment I was speaking from a purely selfish view as to my own fears so that man I just mentioned scares and angers me more than a hilaria type even tho I know both are wrong. It was purely that one inspires more for an anger in me than the other which hasn't impacted on met. Yet.

Typo - more fear and anger

Reactions: 5
All our staff loos have become unisex for fear of one man claiming he's a woman and ending up in the same scenario like you say.

I work for Cambridge uni and our training for prejudice and discrimination was all about accepting people who self ID. I remember it well. If Sarah identifies as a woman even though Sarah was assigned at birth a man it is discriminatory to treat Sarah any different.
(In my head....well Sarah is a bloke and looks like a twit and why does he always insist on wearing terrible skirts and peeing all around the toilet seat....as I outwardly smile and nod my head).
And it also detracts from real, genuine issues where women are discriminated against, black and ethnic minorities are not represented enough or given equal opportunities...we know this from research.
The cynical.part of me would thinks training is focused on self Id and trans rights because the actual issues don't need to be addressed. It's men clambering to be at the top again. Everyone this happens genuine inequalities are ignored.

We've also had cases where the student union have not allowed women to speak about women's rights in fear it could be anti trans. You know sometimes women want to talk about their rights and it has nothing to do with men or the trans movement.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
No I do get that but for me, and I was looking at it from a purely selfish point of view in that I'd be more wound up and inflamed by a man encroaching on my rights as female than someone appropriating my culture. Someone appropriating another culture is isn't going to impact on my life where as men being praised for appropriating a different sex and forcing us to accept their word salad is more frightening to me. I didn't mean to sound like I was belittling your words and sorry if my comment came across that way, it wasn't my intention.
Agree that it's definitely not as bad but I don't understand how some wokesters can wail and moan about Hilaria but will then turn around and say that women should be kind and just shove over and let men into our spaces, etc. I don't get why one is ok in their eyes but not the other

• Heart
It is more and more apparent to me that in corporate workplaces we are having to allow men into toilets etc, and watch our tongues over the self-ID thing, however when it comes to closing the gender pay gap it’s all tumbleweeds and whistling wind noises...

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I hate gender neutral toilets, not because I think I'll be attacked (although we can't ignore the figures that violence against women *is* mostly carried out by men) but because sometimes I want a place to escape to with no men. Is that too much to ask?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Sometimes I'm so grateful that I live in the sticks where there's literally no such thing as pronouns or unisex toilets, our letters for smear tests are all about women's health and no one knows what a Terf is yet. I feel for so many of you having to put up with this nonsense in your actual lives. I try and educate my friends and family and explain what's happening and they think im
Being a bit paranoid when I'm writing to tampax complaining etc but I know it's only a matter of time before it starts to properly affect us here too.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I hate gender neutral toilets, not because I think I'll be attacked (although we can't ignore the figures that violence against women *is* mostly carried out by men) but because sometimes I want a place to escape to with no men. Is that too much to ask?
I wish I could like this more than once. As the only woman in my team in a financial firm, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to go and hunker down in the ladies’ for a while.

@emmer_moans 100%.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Kellie Maloney is an interesting one, in that it’s so typical of a very late transitioning AGP man to choose a name that fits a woman decades younger (ditto Caitlyn Jenner). I’m not sure what it says, but it says something.

Reactions: 9
I've found my people ♥

The whole name thing is very very true. I do believe it's a psychiatric disorder where men (and it is mainly men) somehow think their lives will be enhanced or changed for good by dressing up and playing at being 'ladies'.
Now this actually does nothing for those who genuinely do want to change their bodies so they (somehow) feel happier.
I read somewhere a report about those men who've gone under the surgery and guess what it ain't so great being a women. Their psychiatric issues don't disappear.
There is very little research because universities etc don't want to be accused of being anti trans

Case in point. There is so much going on. When will the dots be joined up

• Heart
Reactions: 6
If this whole thing was really about human rights for trans people and ensuring trans people get the best possible medical treatment as they are always saying, then they wouldn’t be afraid to do this research. They’re clearly too scared that research might show medical transition isn’t the best option or that these people have mental health conditions etc as then it blows their whole agenda open. It’s incredibly transparent.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
If this whole thing was really about human rights for trans people and ensuring trans people get the best possible medical treatment as they are always saying, then they wouldn’t be afraid to do this research. They’re clearly too scared that research might show medical transition isn’t the best option or that these people have mental health conditions etc as then it blows their whole agenda open. It’s incredibly transparent.
Nice to know this thread is here. Its really intriguing how far from reality society has drifted and how easily fooled we are as a whole. There needs to be much more people standing up and doing something. An entire generation of children are being manipulated and harmed with this "ideaology". I think there is already enough data to make the case that transitioning doesnt improve trans quality of life but its ignored and tucked away. Within 5 years there will be kids suing their parents, their doctors and who knows whst else as detransition rates explode due to transgenderism being so sensationalized the past years. Being trans has become the new fad in schools among preteens and teens, as bizarre as that sounds, but its true. As a parent, its really scary, and it appears things will only become more and more crazy and irrational. This is just my opinion but it really seems as there is some sort of deep seeded plot to destroy our culture, our children, and our future...

Reactions: 17
It’s always a hyper-feminised name, isn’t it? It’s one of the biggest tells.
Not talking about people with gender dysphoria, I.e actual trans people but the AGP names are never Mary or Brenda. At the risk of offending any Marys or Brendas out there!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Logically I don't see why treating gender dysphoria by encouraging a person to focus on and exacerbate the feelings that are causing them such distress is considered an ethical or suitable method. Especially when it includes becoming a life-long medical patient characterised by consecutive surgeries in the pursuit of eventually 'passing' successfully. If a woman was diagnosed with body dysmorphia and a therapist recommended she get full body cosmetic surgery until she is her 'true self' they would be rightfully condemned, because it's not logical.

I saw a former trans man make a good point that after wearing a binder - recommended by her therapist to alleviate dysphoria - this meant her mental distress was compounded by physical discomfort which only heightened her obsession with top surgery and worsened her dysphoria in that living as a woman literally became more distressing. She realised that in any other situation she would be encouraged to challenge herself by spending time out of a binder or anything that fed into negative thoughts rather than being told to put it on first thing in the morning. So essentially rejecting reality and living a lie to get through the day.

Why does treatment not centre around encouraging a patient to accept and embrace their gender, spend time focusing their energy outward and channelling negative feelings through physical, productive and positive activities as opposed to putting their lives on hold and expecting happiness once a certain state of outward appearance is reached. "You are valuable and enough as you are" versus "you will eventually be happy if you continue with hormones and surgery but only if enough people then cowtow to your beliefs too”.

This isn't even touching on the fact that these are irreversible surgical changes!! Change your mind and it means you’ve permanently mutilated yourself - everything from your genitals to your voice. Now that is a situation where I truly worry about suicides.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Nice to know this thread is here. Its really intriguing how far from reality society has drifted and how easily fooled we are as a whole. There needs to be much more people standing up and doing something. An entire generation of children are being manipulated and harmed with this "ideaology". I think there is already enough data to make the case that transitioning doesnt improve trans quality of life but its ignored and tucked away. Within 5 years there will be kids suing their parents, their doctors and who knows whst else as detransition rates explode due to transgenderism being so sensationalized the past years. Being trans has become the new fad in schools among preteens and teens, as bizarre as that sounds, but its true. As a parent, its really scary, and it appears things will only become more and more crazy and irrational. This is just my opinion but it really seems as there is some sort of deep seeded plot to destroy our culture, our children, and our future...
I agree with this, I think for many people this just seems like "if I change this I will feel better" rather than dealing with internal issues. I remember thinking the same when I was severely depressed and in the throws of an awful ED, I always thought I would feel better if I lived elsewhere/was thinner/had a boyfriend. Shock horror I did all of these things and it made no difference, going to therapy and dealing with my issues did

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.